Immoral (2005)

by Brian Freeman

Series: Jonathan Stride (1)

In Duluth, Minnesota, a young woman, Rachel Stoner, has gone missing. Cop Jonathan Stride, a sharply focused detective despite the stresses of his troubled personal life, is quick to suspect her stepfather of murder. And yet, he has his doubts. Even for a man accustomed to power, the accused seems remarkably convinced he'll go free. Could he be telling the truth? While Stride endeavours to make sense of the conflicting pieces of evidence, a young woman's body lies half-buried deep in the woods. But if it's not the body of Rachel, where is the missing girl? Is she dead, or is the terrible, unexpected fate that awaits Graeme Stoner one he does not deserve? In this dark, involving mystery, nothing is as it seems, and readers will be gripped to the very last page as the shocking truth gradually emerges.… (more)

English (24)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (27)
ragazza scomparsa
21/08/2019 ( )
  SamanthaRaciti | Feb 25, 2020 |
This is a murder mystery novel set in Minnesota.
Main character is Lieutenant Jonathan Stride who is a Widower with the local Police department.
2 teenage girls in the space of a year go missing. First a girl called Kerry then one called Rachel.
Police have no leads for Kerry but for Rachel they suspect her Step Dad of foul play.
Police want to solve these cases asap.
Lieutenant Stride and his partner Maggie investigate further Rachel was a bit of a young tease and wasn't innocent although didn't deserve any harm to come to her.
Stride meets a new lady called Andrea.

Trial goes to court to convict Rachel's step dad without a body, but before the verdict he is murdered by his wife Rachels Mum. A body is found it is Kerrys.

The book jumps a few years to the future, a body is found in Las Vegas this is Rachels but she has only recently been murdered.

The book then gets a bit complicated and silly it turns out Andrea actually killed Rachel and her ex husband who is now an old junkie/alkie called Bob takes the blame and his shot by the Police.
The Police officer called Serena that shot Bob is based in Las Vegas now becomes Strides new girlfriend.

Maybe there will be more books following Stride and Serena

Overall ok book. ( )
  Daftboy1 | Jul 16, 2019 |
It was recommended by GoodReads that I read this book. I didn't realize when I ordered it that it is the first of a series. I was a bit disappointed with the book. There are lots of crimes, terrible people and lies and deceits in the book. There is also, and this is what I like the least about the book, are surprise occurrences, things that seem to happen for no reason and with no lead-up, and the almost unbelievable solution to the mystery of the missing teenage girl from Duluth, Minnesota. I also didn't really care for Jonathan Stride. He is a flawed man, who hasn't recovered from the recent loss of his wife Cindy to cancer. He makes some pretty sketchy judgements during the course of his investigation right from the disappearance of Rachel, through to the aborted trial of the man that Jonathan "knew" was responsible for killing Rachel, to a split second decision to get remarried, and then to when the mystery of the disappearance of Rachel is solved. I didn't think that Jonathan knew what he was doing right from the beginning. This is a case of the leader of the investigation falling into all the traps that the other protagonists have fallen into. Personally, I don't think that all males are as gullible as the males in this book are. Do all males fall under the spell of every "femme fatale" they cross paths with? I certainly hope not. There have to be some men who are immune to their dubious charms somewhere in real life. Yes, the book is fiction, but it is not believable and credible fiction. ( )
  Romonko | Apr 30, 2019 |
I'm certain I've read this before because stuff from section 3 stands out in my recollections, but I'm glad that didn't stop me. Great book, with very genuine feeling characters.
  Eternal.Optimist | Aug 22, 2018 |
Well, I give this one 4.5 stars. A surprise win from an author I've never read before. Now it's just a murder mystery but one that's so very clever.

I will definitely recommend. ( )
  Sharn | Aug 22, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

the distance that the dead have gone

Does not at first appear—

Their coming back seems possible

For many an ardent year.

—EMILY DICKINSON
For Marcia
PROLOGUE

Darkness was a different thing in the north woods than it was in the city.
Jonathan Strike felt like a ghost, bathed in the white spotlights that illuminated the bridge.

Brian Freeman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,929,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible