Two From Galilee: The Story Of Mary And Joseph

by Marjorie Holmes

Series: From Galilee (1)

The extraordinary bestselling classic that tells the greatest love story of all--the story of Mary and Joseph--as it has never been told before. This is the story of two real people whose lives were touched by God: two people chosen by God to provide an earthly home for His Son. Here are Mary and Joseph--a teenage girl and a young carpenter--alone, frightened, in love, and faced with family conflict, a hostile world, and an awesome responsibility. With an introduction from beloved author Marjorie Holmes, Two from Galilee is a compassionate, emotional novel of divine love for young and old alike--a story for everyone who finds the Christmas tale a source of timeless beauty and wonder.… (more)

Good novel of Mary and Joseph. ( )
  kslade | Dec 8, 2022 |
A beautiful love story and what it may have been like for Joseph and Mary when Jesus was born.
  LoisBryan | Apr 30, 2020 |
This was different from any "religious" book I have ever read. It had main themes from the Biblical story of Mary and Joseph, but also had some cultural norms and customs that are not included in the Bible, but were part of life at that time. It gave me a new perspective of how courtship/marriage, and regular family life was at the time of Jesus' birth.

I really enjoyed Joseph's tenderness and love toward Mary at the time of Jesus' birth. This would be a great read at Christmas time, but I am a bit early. ( )
  berthashaver | Nov 5, 2018 |
I am with child... the child of Jahveh, himself. Even he of Joseph's lifelong covenant. God the victor. God—he saw it now—the rival.

Countless people are familiar with the biblical story of Mary and Joseph. The novel Two from Galilee by author Marjorie Holmes is one story I've encountered that illustrates what the couple's early experiences together might have been like.

Yes, it's a love story, with an old-fashioned flair that's much like dramatic poetry. There's depth and an almost painful beauty to it, and distinct characters with backstories, personalities, and different motives that come into play. Mary and Joseph's feelings for each other are unashamedly romantic, and yet their tale isn't all sunbursts and butterflies. It's set against a religious and political backdrop of uncertainty and violence. It's a tale about how flawed human beings might react when what they "claim to believe" may no longer just be an ideal concept that's a nice, safe distance away from reality.

It was a grave thing to become involved with God.

I'll admit, though, that while I appreciate the novel's poetic style, the many comma splices got to me sometimes. Also, while the story's depth is a plus, there were moments when I became a bit bogged down with all of the contemplation and such. I would've been fine with the story getting some ideas across more concisely and then moving on.

Even so, this is the second (or third?) time I've read this novel, and I see why so many other people have enjoyed it over the years. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Jun 13, 2018 |
One author's interpretation of the story of Mary and Joseph, the parents of Jesus. I had read good things about this book, but I didn't really enjoy it. I didn't particularly like the characters, and I spent too much time analyzing how close to the truth I felt it too be. I couldn't just enjoy it. ( )
  jennannej | Jul 13, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

And now she was a woman.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 202,049,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible