dismiss

The Colonel and The Enchantress (An Enchantress Novel Book 4)

by Paullett Golden

522,261,397 (4.67)None

If you are looking for an all-encompassing romance that will captivate your heart then The Colonel and the Enchantress is the book for you. What I love most about a romance from Author Paullett Golden is that the stories are thorough! Mary and Duncan fell in love as teens and Duncan, feeling unworthy of Mary, went to war to prove himself worthy. What he found when on the battlefield was that he was a man who loved Mary and a man made for the military life. It was not until Duncan encountered an unfortunate set of circumstances that he would return home, a broken man.

Mary was absolutely besotted with Duncan, her love and commitment to him kept her faithful throughout his absence. Though she did wait on her love, she did not set her own interests aside. I loved that about Mary. She did not pass time idly waiting for her man to come back to her. When Duncan did return to her life, the entire situation was very complicated, but once again she stood by what she thought was the right thing to do and persevered. There were times where I felt she should have stood her ground with Duncan but I admired her strength through adversity because life with Duncan was not carefree.

I can’t say that I was initially wooed by Duncan. I never doubted his feelings for Mary but his priorities were all wrong, in my mind. I loved his family and how they gathered around him to bolster him when he was in need. Given the injury that he had incurred, I admired how he battled his way back once he decided that he wanted more than his predicament offered. So, he had many great qualities but he also had a lot to learn in the listening to others and putting what matters first department.

This story, like real life, had its good times and bad. Love is not all about the ups, it is also about holding fast during the down times and that is what made The Colonel and the Enchantress a wonderful love story. There was romance but there was also pain and anguish with characters who were flawed but ultimately committed to the love they shared. Such a swoon worthy story! The Colonel and the Enchantress is a love story for the ages and I am looking forward to the next book in The Enchantresses series!

This review is based on a complimentary book I received from Author, Paullett Golden. It is an honest and voluntary review. The complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating. ( )
1 vote TheGenreMinx | Feb 14, 2020 |
If you are looking for a wonderful book that will make you smile, cry, and laugh all while warming your heart and letting you fall in love with the most amazing main characters you’ll ever read, this is the book for you. In addition to the story itself, there is an outstanding prologue and epilogue that really starts and finishes the book perfectly. The author has a writing style and word choices that put you right in the scene. Your heart will pound and your breathing will increase as Duncan awakens to discover that he cannot feel his legs, then you’ll rejoice with him at each small step he makes toward his recovery – and throughout it all, your heart will swell when he thinks of ‘his Mary’. This book just resonated with me and I can’t wait to have the time to read it again.

Duncan Starrett and Lady Mary Mowbrah met and fell in love in 1790 when she was sixteen and he was twenty. Lady Mary is the daughter of a duke and Duncan is the youngest son of a retired army colonel. Sounds like a doomed romance doesn’t it? In a way, it is because her mother would never, ever approve a match between the two of them. Lady Mary doesn’t care, she is ready to run away to Gretna Green and marry Duncan anyway, but Duncan is a very honorable young man and wants to prove his worthiness to be her husband. Duncan’s solution is to buy a commission and serve in the army where he can earn rank and perform heroically. Little does he know what that choice will cost him.

Five years later, Duncan returns home a very broken man. Thinking Duncan isn’t long for this world, his parents send word to Lady Mary. Mary dashes to Duncan’s family home – which is adjacent to her family home – and is shocked by Duncan’s condition and the medical care he’s received. Mary refuses to think Duncan might die and does everything in her power to turn things around for him.

Duncan comes from a large, very loving family and Mary has always wanted that for herself. She’d never had any show of human affection in her life until she met Duncan. Her mother was cold, unfeeling and paid absolutely no attention to Mary – well, no good attention anyway. All Mary ever received was criticism and complaint. Oh! How she wanted the family Duncan had – all that love, caring and sharing with each other.

Duncan and Mary have a lot to overcome and their HEA is hard-won. Most of what they have to overcome is themselves and their feelings of inadequacy, but Duncan’s wounds are also a big obstacle. I absolutely fell in love with both Duncan and Mary and it was also wonderful to be able to have visits with Sebastian and Lizbeth (The Earl and The Enchantress), Drake (Mary’s brother) and Charlotte (The Duke and The Enchantress), and Lilith and Walter (The Baron and The Enchantress). Now, I can hardly wait for the next book in the series!

I voluntarily read and reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. ( )
1 vote BarbaraRogers | Feb 4, 2020 |

Paullett Golden is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,762,966 books! | Top bar: Always visible