The Last Colony

by John Scalzi

Series: Old Man's War (3)

Perry and Sagan are back in the thick of interstellar politics, betrayal, and war as leaders of a new human colony, to be peopled by settlers from all the major human worlds.
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (Karlstar)
    Karlstar: John Scalzi introduces the universe of the Colonial Union in this book. Similar in feel to Starship Troopers, in many ways.
    The Ophiuchi Hotline by John Varley (goodiegoodie)

English (104)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (107)
This volume displays much more sophisticated plotting than its predecessors and finally allows us to see the big picture of galactic politics. In doing so, Scalzi finally also reveals what he thinks about the super-aggressive militaristic Colonial Union. It's what I had been waiting for.

The book jackets variously describe Scalzi as "slick", "accessible" and "entertaining", assessments that I agree with. At this point in his career he had not tipped over into overly dialogue dominated pseudo screen-plays, either. Fun stuff. ( )
  Arbieroo | Jul 17, 2020 |
I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Scalzi's witty stories. In this third volume of the Old Man's War series, John Perry and his wife Jane Sagan are asked to head up a new colony. They accept and begin finding out that the government has not been honest with them about the nature and purpose of the colony. They deal with numerous challenges and unexpected revelations. John in particular (perhaps because he's narrating) struggles to find solutions that are both successful and honorable.

The book is full of Scalzian humor, from the naming of the new colony (Roanoke) to snarky employees and dad-like funny lines. While it's mostly enjoyable to watch Scalzi walk the tightrope between humor and serious concepts, a couple of major flaws poke through. The first is that he starts to develop interesting subplots and then simply discards them with no resolution when the next big revelation comes along. The second is his propensity for constructions like "for Jane and I." This sort of grammatical idiocy bothered I as I read. But it was still mostly a fun read, because you can see the author winking at you the whole time. Yes, he says, I know these plot points and solutions are over the top, but I'm having a really good time making them up. Aren't they fun? For the most part, they are. ( )
  Jim53 | Jul 6, 2020 |
Again no writing awards for this one but I like 90 yr old dad and Jane and Zoey and the Oben. I don't like all the he said she said jane said zoey said I said etc...i'd say 3.75 ( )
  ReneeNL | Jun 29, 2020 |
The Conclave warned us
diverse colonies, or none
we thumbed our noses. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
Another great book in this series. For some reason, felt like something was missing, but it was still a good page turner. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |

John Scalziprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chong, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris,JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Patrick and Teresa Nielsen Hayden, friends and editors. To Heather and Bob, brother and sister. To Athena, daughter. To Kristine, everything.
Let me tell you of the worlds I've left behind.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,664,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible