Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Hers to Tame (NOLA Knights Book 2)

by Rhenna Morgan

741,986,292 (4.5)None

Kir has the face of an angel but as the right hand of the Vor, he sometimes has to channel his inner demon. So his every word, every move every action is deliberate, precise. Nothing he does is without reason or purpose so pursuing Cassie McClintock defies all reason. She may be looking to give her career a much-needed boost. But once he realizes that his heart belongs to her, he begins to do everything within his power to make her path smoother. But once his true identity and her connection to him is leaked to her boss, Cassie finds herself weighing her feelings and her career. to choose one means to lose the other. And she's not convinced that losing Kir is a good bargain

Advance review copy provided by #NetGalley for voluntary review consideration. ( )
  AshPReads | Apr 4, 2020 |
Originally posted on Tales to Tide You Over

Hers to Tame delivers on the expectations Morgan has built up in this and her related series. There’s plenty of snappy dialogue and a strict code of honor, but the book also shows what family should be like, whether found or born into.

There’s a large cast, new members added onto those we met in the first book. We even get a glimpse of the prospect for the next book, something I guessed from her introduction before skimming the teaser chapters in the back. In general, I prefer smaller casts because there are fewer people to keep track of. With Morgan’s stories, I don’t care. Each person is distinct enough and/or referred to in context that I have no trouble knowing who I’m reading about.

Oh, and there’s a second chances element to this story, which I enjoy. Though the time between the first and now is only seven months, it’s seven months too long for Kir, no matter how much he tries to deny it. Cassie hasn’t forgotten their encounter either and is haunted by how she let rumor scare her off without giving him the chance to explain.

The book offers complex characters with encounters full of subtext and layering. Neither of the main characters approach their lightning attraction without baggage to wade through, nor are they willing to accept this without questioning.

Cassie is an investigative reporter who is good at her job, though she doesn’t love it. Despite the differences between approach and philosophy to American expectations, Kir is a leader in Sergei’s bratva, or Russian mafiya. Theirs is not an easy connection to weather without consequences, and the consequences are life altering, especially for Cassie.

Watching their relationship develop and struggle through barriers is fun, profound, and surprising at various points. I enjoyed the teasing Kir suffers from Sergei and Roman and how Cassie’s aunt meddles. There are several detailed, open-door, intimate encounters with the strengthening of their connection and knowledge woven into those scenes. As has been Morgan’s habit, with one exception, there’s a brush of risque activities mentioned, but only that.

Nor is the only plot their relationship, though there’s enough going on in the clash of culture and expectation to fill the book on its own. The story starts with tragedy, and Cassie helps Kir investigate the possibilities at great personal cost. The seeding is well done enough for me to notice the details and put together theories, but not to have the answer. Not only that, but Cassie is a part of the mystery from start to finish. She’s a partner rather than a decoration, something I’ve appreciated from the first Morgan romance I read.

The writing is full of beautiful subtext in both words and body language, something that brings us closer to the characters. The body language also carries off the ribbing from Kir’s brothers without having to set out the situation more obviously. The plot is solid, actions affect the characters, and both main characters must change and adapt.

This is another strong novel from an author I count on to deliver a tale worth reading. Her books offer a solid love story where honor might skirt the law of the land, but you’re never in doubt as to the reasons people act or the righteousness of their responses.

P.S. I received this Advanced Reader Copy from the publisher through NetGalley in return for an honest review. ( )
  MarFisk | Mar 17, 2020 |
Hers to Tame by Rhenna Morgan
NOLA Knights #2

Smiling as I think about this book. Kir was a hunk of a guy and his care and tenderness with Cassie, the woman that was to be “his” was heart warming. Cassie was an intelligent reporter who met Kir months before but stayed away when she heard rumors he was Russian Mafiya. The connection was too strong to keep them apart forever, though. I love this author’s books and loved this one, too!

What I liked:
* Cassie: focused on her work, a capable reporter but really wished she could be a photographer instead.
* Kir: my oh my...what a guy! Dapper dresser, lethal but loving. He is a man you would want at your side through thick and thin.
* The “family” - such a loving group and there for one another
* Frieda: a better mother figure to Cassie than her own mother
* Getting to see the group from the Haven series
* The writing, story and series – love these books!
* Knowing that Bonnie’s story is next and looking forward to reading it soon

What I didn’t like:
* The baddie – deserved to be caught and punished
* Knowing that I will have to wait till the next book is finished

Did I like this book? Definitely
Would I read more of this series? Without a doubt

Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin-Carina Press for the ARC – This is my honest review.

5 Stars ( )
Rating: Five
Review:

"Hers to Tame" by Rhenna Morgan

My Speculation:

I loved the follow up ''Hers To Tame' from this author's 'His To Defend,' and I indeed loved Kir Vasilek. I found this story about Kir and Cassie full of not only suspense but hot steam between the two. Add some of the past characters of 'Men of Haven' along with the ones from this story, and you are given quite an interesting read. I will say one of my favorite characters was Cassie's aunt Freida Shalaway.

From this story, we will have gruesome murder, along with someone causing trouble for Cassie, and adduction that will keep you turning the pages to see what's coming next. By the time we get to the end, we get one enjoyable read seeing how Kir was 'Hers to Tame,' and it was a fun read seeing if they will get there HEA. ( )
  arlenadean | Jan 28, 2020 |

Rhenna Morgan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,336,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible