The Way Forward Is with a Broken Heart

by Alice Walker

"These are the stories that came to me to be told after the close of a magical marriage to an extraordinary man that ended in a less-than-magical divorce. I found myself unmoored, unmated, ungrounded in a way that challenged everything I'd ever thought about human relationships. Situated squarely in that terrifying paradise called freedom, precipitously out on so many emotional limbs, it was as if I had been born; and in fact I was being reborn as the woman I was to become." So says Pulitzer Prize-winning author Alice Walker about her beautiful new book, in which "one of the best American writers today" (The Washington Post) gives us superb stories based on rich truths from her own experience. Imbued with Walker's wise philosophy and understanding of people, the spirit, sex and love, The Way Forward Is with a Broken Heart begins with a lyrical, autobiographical story of a marriage set in the violent and volatile Deep South during the early years of the civil rights movement. Walker goes on to imagine stories that grew out of the life following that marriage--a life, she writes, that was "marked by deep sea-changes and transitions." These provocative stories showcase Walker's hard-won knowledge of love of many kinds and of the relationships that shape our lives, as well as her infectious sense of humor and joy. Filled with wonder at the power of the life force and of the capacity of human beings to move through love and loss and healing to love again, The Way Forward Is with a Broken Heart is an enriching, passionate book by "a lavishly gifted writer" (The New York Times Book Review).… (more)

English (6)  German (1)  All languages (7)
I read this in its entirety one rainy afternoon and snippets of it came to mind for weeks following. ( )
  bmm606 | Jul 2, 2021 |
Short stories: very good, positive.
[read 2001-18 yr ago] ( )
  juniperSun | Jan 18, 2019 |
weird book ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
I am really enjoying these stories. I love how easily she tells her experiences. It's fascinating to see into her life and feel what she's feeling. She's very good at allowing the reader to do that. The interview with the author at the end was fantastic, too! ( )
  aketzle | Jun 7, 2011 |
I found these stories of varied interest. I was most interested in her analysis of her young married life. ( )
  suesbooks | Nov 4, 2010 |
Beloved, A few days ago I went to see the little house on R. Street where we were so happy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,065,981 books! | Top bar: Always visible