dismiss

Ten Days Gone (An A.L. McKittridge Novel…

Ten Days Gone (An A.L. McKittridge Novel Book 1)

by Beverly Long

1481,060,182 (3.5)None

No tags.

I thought this was a good read. It is on the milder side of suspense thrillers. Yet, this is not a bad thing if someone who is a cozy mystery fan is looking for a book to read. This book can be read as a stand alone novel.

Where the main characters, A.L and Rena are concerned, I did like them both. In fact, there were what did keep me reading this book. Despite the fact that I found the storyline easy to solve and the other characters lacking in emotion. They just did not resonate with me. Therefore, I did struggle with staying engaged with this book. However, I would check out the next book only because of A.L. and Rena. ( )
  Cherylk | Mar 26, 2020 |
My blog is diving into the world of suspense and mystery with this review of Ten Days Gone by Beverly Long since I do enjoy the genre and Harper Collins was kind enough to send me an invitation to read this and tell you about it! Heh. That’s my way of saying, I was given an advanced reading copy of this book by the publisher and am required by the FTC to inform you of lest I face heavy fines that I am much too broke to pay. The bequeathing of this advanced copy does not in any way sway my opinions of this book and all views of said book are my own. Let’s get settled in nice and cosy before we get this review started, get in your favourite reading spot, grab a comfortable blanket, and curl up, folks.

I wasn’t really a fan of Ten Days Gone for several reasons which I’ll lay out for you here. I’ll start with saying that I so disliked the investigative duo, Detective A.L. McKitteridge and his partner, Detective Rena Morgan, that I was decidedly Team Serial Killer before I even reached chapter four. McKitteridge is a real man’s man and I just want to feed him to an alligator, y’all. He’s a prime example of latent misogyny and toxic masculinity and he does very little regarding this case he’s lead on. He scoffs at his new boss’ appearance because he dresses smart and maintains a manicure. He gets romantically involved with the woman they believe to be next on the serial killer’s hit list. And actually pulls the Thin Blue Line family crap with a fellow officer so his daughter doesn’t get arrested for underage drinking and just throw the whole man out, please! Detective Rena Morgan seems to do most of the work in this case despite her constant worries regarding her disastership of a marriage and thinking “disastership marriage+baby=saved marriage”. No! Rena does all of the work and all of the thinking in this investigative pairing and gets none of the credit from her partner or her co-workers. And we really played some nasty little points in her storyline that I wish had not been written because this is 2020 and why are we still doing ish like this for storyline foil?

I had the ‘whodunnit’ part figured out pretty quickly, the clues were a bit obvious for me. I’ve watched 30 years of crime shows and obsessed over suspense novels for just as long, I can see them coming from a mile away unfortunately. I was also a bit bored while reading this when I wasn’t wanting to chuck the ‘hero’ into the lake behind my house (we have alligators…). Nothing really reached off of the page and grabbed me, which I really wanted to happen because I love serial killer suspense. I actually came close to DNFing this book, but I’m trying to get better at seeing things through to the end. Look at me, embracing commitment and ish. Next thing you know, I’ll be signing up for a dating app. Someone set up an intervention before that happens, please.

Overall, Ten Days Gone is not a book I’d recommend unless you want a book to keep you mildly occupied at the Dentist’s but not ensconced while you wait for your mum to have surgery and you have to be there to drive her home. Because that’s how I got through this book. Anxiety and a need for distraction. I am giving Ten Days Gone two stars and no flames because I was not a fan of this book which was surprising because I used to enjoy reading Beverly Long’s HQN novels as a teen. As always, these views are my own, I’m a picky heifer at times so you might enjoy this where I didn’t. So if it sounds like a book you’d enjoy, have fun. It’s your reading time, read what you want!

This has been a review from Once Upon a Time, I Read a Book, if you enjoyed this review, come visit me on my site, give me a follow (it encourages me), or say hi on social media! Until next time, have a happily ever after! ( )
  OUATIReadABook | Mar 6, 2020 |
What could the significance of ten days be for a serial killer?

For this serial killer, ten days is the time frame between murders.

How can they find the next victim before it happens?

Detectives McKittridge and Morgan are on the case with slim leads until they find one sheet of paper that might be their main clue.

The investigation moved forward but always had some setback, and they were running out of time before the next ten days were up.

If you enjoy an intense, difficult investigation and last-minute tension, TEN DAYS GONE needs to be in your TBR stack.

TEN DAYS GONE will keep you on the edge of your seat as all the clues come together for an ending you won’t forget. 5/5

This book was given to me by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  SilversReviews | Feb 19, 2020 |
Ten Days Gone by Beverly Long
A.L. McKittridge #1

Detectives McKittridge and Morgan have developed a partnership that allows them to tackle the most recent murder case that comes there way and they do so in a very professional manner. They know that another woman’s life is at stake and that they must find the serial killer within the ten days or another woman will lose her life.

What I liked:
* McKittridge: knowledgeable, fit, intelligent, experienced policeman with a dream for his future that does not include the politics of moving up to a higher position
* Morgan: smart, loves her job and does it well, works well with McKittridge and has a dream for the future.
* Getting to see McKittridge and Morgan as people outside of their job and seeing that they are people with human problems to contend with
* Glimpses of the power structure within the police department
* All of it except…

What I did not like:
* The whack-job that was unearthed as the killer – but then – I was supposed to not like that person, was I?

Did I enjoy this book? Yes
Would I read more in this series? Yes

Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin-Mira for the ARC – This is my honest review.

4 Stars ( )
  CathyGeha | Feb 18, 2020 |
Ten Days Gone by Beverly Long is the first An A.L. McKittridge Novel. Ten Days Gone is a police procedural mystery set in Baywood, Wisconsin. We follow Detective A.L. McKittridge (we do not get to find out what A.L. stands for) and Detective Rena Morgan as they search for a deadly killer. Four women have been murdered in forty days. They were murdered ten days apart with them just discovering the latest victim. Our duo has ten days to find the killer before he strikes again. The killer is smart enough to leave to no forensics. They cannot find a connection between the four women. The detectives work on questioning the latest victims’ husband, co-workers and friends to see if they can find any connection to the other three victims. The point-of-view switches between McKittridge and Morgan. McKittridge is divorced with a sixteen year old daughter who is acting out (dating a man who is over twenty-one) and skipping school to drink alcohol. Rena Morgan is wed, and they have been trying to conceive for years unsuccessfully. It is taking its toll on their marriage. Rena is worried that her husband is cheating on her. The detectives’ personal lives are woven in with the investigation. I thought the detective’s lives are realistic. They work hard which affects their personal lives which are complicated (just like real people). The mystery was representative of a real police case. Television makes police work look exciting, but, in real life, it is tedious. They must ask questions, follow up leads, fill out paperwork and deal with bureaucracy (like a new pompous chief). Identifying the guilty party was effortless. There is suspense and tension especially as they were getting close to their prey. There were some areas of the book that lagged, and I was put off by the amount of foul language (I do not understand why people feel they need to use such offensive words). Ten Days Gone will appeal to readers who enjoy suspenseful police procedural mysteries. Ten Days gone has a mysterious murderer, a conceited chief, disconsolate target, and two determined detectives. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Feb 18, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,752,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible