The Tommyknockers (1987)

by Stephen King

Series: Tommyknockers

9,43983852 (3.32)1 / 158
Fiction. Thriller. HTML:

Late Last Night and the Night Before...

...Tommyknockers, tommyknockers, knocking at the door.

Something was happening in Bobbi Anderson's idyllic small town of Haven, Maine. Something that gave every man, woman, and child in town powers far beyond ordinary mortals. Something that turned the town into a death trap for all outsiders. Something that came from a metal object, buried for millennia, that Bobbi stumbled across.

It wasn't that Bobbi and the other good folks of Haven had sold their souls to reap the rewards of the most deadly evil this side of hell. It was more like a diabolical takeover...and invasion of body and soul—and mind.

.… (more)
    The Harvest by Scott Nicholson (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Both books deal with an alien force slowly taking over a rural community.
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers by Jack Finney (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: Another book that deals with a sinister alien force that slowly possesses a small town.
    Brain Wave by Poul Anderson (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: King references Brain Wave in The Tommyknockers and with good reasons. Both books deal (in part) with people whose intelligence is suddenly and unexpectedly increased dramatically.
    Strangers by Dean Koontz (sturlington)
    Cross County by Tim Waggoner (beckylynn)
    Prey by Michael Crichton (Hedgepeth)

English (75)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (83)
Easily his most underrated book. It’s not perfect but i think it’s personally a gripping story and as many have pointed out has larger implications in the king verse as a whole. Excellent read! ( )
  Bobbiitty | Jun 5, 2024 |
Ok, we all know this is a bone-head of a book, but Edward Hermann's narration is wonderful so it makes up for it. ( )
  Bookmarque | May 27, 2024 |
King keeps introducing new characters like he's unloading a clown car, right until the end of this bloated mess. ( )
  A.Godhelm | Oct 20, 2023 |
this is the first King book that I remember abandoning in disgust in what an awful book it was. Since then I've learnt that it was around this time that King was in the midst of his cocaine habit and that goes a long way to explain the results - but does nothing to explain why the publishers accepted (and published) it. Could they not just have shoved it in a drawer somewhere?
  nordie | Oct 14, 2023 |
  nordie | Oct 14, 2023 |
The first third of ''The Tommyknockers'' is wonderful. With his usual eerie effortlessness, Mr. King attaches us to Bobbi and Gard, taunting us with menace neither they nor we can define. When evil starts gobbling Haven with a vengeance, swollen prose and comic-book grue spurt out one authentic gem (a little boy's magic show) and instill in us a creeping terror of good country folks. The last third of the novel is Armageddon, as is usual with Mr. King.

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Late last night and the night before,
Tommyknockers, Tommyknockers,
knocking at the door.
I want to go out, don't know if I can,
'cause I'm so afraid
of the Tommyknocker man.

—TRADITIONAL
Well we picked up Harry Truman, floating down from Independence,
We said, "What about the war?"
He said, "Good riddance!"
We said, "What about the bomb? Are you sorry that you did it?"
He said, "Pass me that bottle and mind your own bidness."

—THE RAINMAKERS,
"Downstream"
The terrorist got bombed!
The President got hit!
Security was tight!
The Secret Service got lit!
And everybody's drunk,
Everybody's wasted,
Everybody's stoned,
And there's nothin gonna change it,
Cause everybody's drunk,
Everybody's wasted,
Everybody's drinkin on the job.

—THE RAINMAKERS,
"Drinkin' on the Job"
Then he ran all the way to town, screamin
"It came out of the sky!"

—CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL,
"It Came Out of the Sky"
Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

—THE WHO,
"Won't Get Fooled Again"
FOR TABITHA KING

"...promises to keep."
For want of a nail the kingdom was lost—that's how the catechism goes when you boil it down.
Do not combine the movie with the book; not the same work.
Fiction. Thriller. HTML:

Late Last Night and the Night Before...

...Tommyknockers, tommyknockers, knocking at the door.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,400,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible