Lucky (1999)

by Alice Sebold

In this memoir, Alice Sebold reveals how her life was transformed when at age 18 she was raped and beaten in a park near her college campus.

It’s an easy read. Its somewhat of a page turner because you start to wonder if her attacker will be caught and if caught what sort of sentence he will get. It’s a little repetitive. However, I think this is an intentional technique that the author uses to show what it’s like to relive a traumatic event over and over again. I would recommend this book because it allows you to empathize with the author and anyone that has gone through a traumatic sexual assault or rape. The author was strong and brave enough to give full on detail about her experience and I imagine that would be very difficult or triggering to someone with PTSD about a rape.

Favorite Quote “Come to me, Come to me,
Come die and lie, beside me.” –Reviewed by Suzanne ( )
  GalsGuidetotheGalaxy | Oct 14, 2021 |
Alice is a darn good writer as I can feel her anguish, her low self esteem, her tumultuous thoughts especially her harrowing experience. I’m so in awe with her bravery and optimism, not an easy feat having exposed to such horrors in life. Such an eye opening read to boot.

Here's my full review:
http://www.sholee.net/2018/04/mpov-lucky.html ( )
  Sholee | Sep 9, 2021 |
An autobiography based on the authors' own experiences of surviving and dealing with her situation of being raped. A truly inspirational story. I really liked how it portrayed the affect it had on her friends and family alike. ( )
  Wexfordian | Jun 30, 2021 |
It's hard to rate a book like this with five stars, given the fact that it is a true story and the subject matter is horrifying; it's kind of like when on Facebook you 'like' someones status update that they lost a family member. But this is a good book, a haunting account of coming to terms with being raped, and something that everyone should read. ( )
  mpark6288 | Nov 20, 2020 |
Couldn't really get into it. It was kind of judgy like her way is the only right way to deal with rape or sexual assault. ( )
  Teri_O | Nov 11, 2020 |
Voor Glen David Gold
In the tunnel where I was raped, a tunnel that was once an underground entry to an amphitheater, a place where actors burst forth from underneath the seats of a crowd, a girl had been murdered and dismembered.
No one can pull anyone back from anywhere. You save yourself or you remain unsaved.
“Poetry is not an attitude. It is hard work.” (Quoting Tess Gallagher)
“Memory could save . . . it had power . . . it was often the only recourse of the powerless, the oppressed, or the brutalized.” (Referring to Tobias Wolff’s own story, This Boy’s Life)
“You never get over some things.”
From an interview with Alice Sebold that is published as a supplement in the back of the book:

Question: People often wonder if writing is therapeutic. If you’re writing about a trauma, does that help the pain of the trauma recede? Susie in the novel [a different book] says something like every time she tells her story, a drop of the pain goes away. But as a writer who’s written about your own trauma and then written a fictionalized version of a similar trauma, is writing therapeutic or do you think that that’s really the wrong way to approach it anyway?

Answer: My feeling is that therapy is for therapy and that writing can be therapeutic, but therapeutic writing should not be published. My job as a writer is to go through the therapy myself and, if I manage to get through it and I feel I have something to share from that, to share it with my audience or my readers. But I don’t write novels and seek to have them published so that I can get therapy from having written them. That’s really the responsibility of an individual to do outside the context of their published work.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,561,848 books! | Top bar: Always visible