The Currents of Space by Isaac Asimov

English (37)  French (1)  Slovak (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (40)
In a mere 191 pages, Asimov manages to weave a complex tapestry of interweaving plotlines, spanning the identity search of a man under complete memory loss, the rebellion of a minor official of a colonised people against his suppressors, a mysterious mastermind throwing the internal dealings of a ruling council of oligarchs to the brink of open conflict, interplanetary political intrigue and a nerve-wracking fugitive hunt. Thoroughly good read. ( )
  LokiAesir | Sep 30, 2018 |
Didn't enjoy as much as The Stars, Like Dust. I have a lot of similar complaints - nowhere near as good as the Robots series, quite fluffy and pulpy and it's lacking that Asimov touch. This is very early on in his career, however, so it's still impressive that I was able to breeze through this book with a smile (mostly) on my face the entire time. I will say that events are rushed, and often occur through heresay. I believe the book would have been vastly improved if it was longer (not often I say that about any novel). The Townsman's motivations often confused me, and found Rik to be an endearing character. Everything sort of settles at the end, but not in a satisfying way. My least favorite Asimov book, but still a fun read. ( )
  hskey | May 27, 2018 |
Rik has had his memory wiped because of what he knew. Found by Valona who took care of him until he was able to function he works in a menial job. Then one day part of his memory returns and he tries to avert the tragedy he knew would happen. Written in 1952. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 15, 2017 |
Better than "The Stars, Like Dust", but then it couldn't help but be better than that one. At least he refrained from a cheesy ending. Continuing my march through Asimov's Foundation universe. Haven't read three of the remaining nine..."Pebble in the Sky" being one of the three and next... ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
To say that this is about social stratification, or even that it is about racism, is excessively abstract. It's an all-out attack on white supremacy, predating (1952) the time when the civil rights movement really imposed itself on the mass conscience. Good for Asimov.!
  sonofcarc | Mar 29, 2017 |

Asimov, Isaacprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Collins, Kevin T.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David, who took his time coming but, was worth waiting for
The man from Earth came to a decision.

Ormai da secoli il pianeta Florina è dominato, con inaudita ferocia, dai crudeli Signori di Sark, bramosi di accaparrarsi il possesso del Kyrt, una delle sostanze più preziose dell'intera Galassia. Improvvisamente però il potere dei Signori viene messo in pericolo. Uno scienziato terrestre, un analista dello spazio stellare, ha scoperto che un cataclisma di natura planetaria sta per colpire Florina. Terrorizzati dall'idea che la spaventosa minaccia possa interferire nella produzione del Kyrt, i Signori tentano di catturare lo scienziato per privarlo della memoria, ma l'intervento di misteriosi emissari di una potenza straniera farà fallire il loro piano. Unendo il fascino di una straordinaria ipotesi scientifica alla grandiosità dei suoi affreschi spaziali, Asimov ha realizzato, con questo romanzo, uno dei più interessanti capitoli dell'epica saga dell'Impero Galattico.
(piopas)

An oppressed laborer on the planet of Florina, Rik resigns himself to a life of hard work and the poor regard of people who believe him to be mentally impaired before he begins to recover memories of an imminent disaster.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,825,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible