The Survivors

by Jane Harper

Kieran Elliott's life changed forever on the day a reckless mistake led to devastating consequences. The guilt that still haunts him resurfaces during a visit with his young family to the small coastal town he once called home. Kieran's parents are struggling in a community which is bound, for better or worse, to the sea, that is both a lifeline and a threat. Between them all is his absent brother, Finn. When a body is discovered on the beach, long-held secrets threaten to emerge. A sunken wreck, a missing girl, and questions that have never washed away...… (more)

English (62)  Dutch (1)  All languages (63)
(31) Oooh .. such a good mystery. I have read this author's other mysteries and they are getting better and better and better. This one takes place on Tasmania with her similar theme of a young man coming home to his childhood home having survived a childhood tragedy of sorts. A new crime and some old ghosts. This is not part of the Aaron Falk series she seems to have been writing; not set in the Outback or related at all. Instead a close-knit beach tourist town where a violent unexpected storm rolled in one day. On that day 12 years before the current action takes place, Kiernan, our protagonist, takes his secret girlfriend to some sea caves only accessible by low-tide. When the storm is over -- alot has changed

I love Harper's writing. Effortless, yet reasonably poignant. So hard to ferret out the solution. Believable red-herrings and almost everyone is a suspect at some point. Yes .. I do think something is buried in the fictional author's garden. I thought I had that one figured out. I fell for it so hard, even the author was laughing at me. Brilliant.

I think her characterizations could be stronger. I felt Ash, Kiernan, Liam, Toby, Sean were all sort of versions of one another and did not really come to life. On the other hand I thought some minor characters were better drawn - Bronte's mother; the local policeman. So there is potential there.

I can see the comparison to Tana French and absolutely agree now. Even some Christie or Sayers or Rendell in there. I predict her next novel will be 5 star masterpiece classic mystery level. Love how she uses atmosphere and setting as a character in its own right. I will read anything she writes now. ( )
  jhowell | Jun 21, 2022 |
A small town on the coast of Tasmania, entering the winter slow season. Keiran and his wife Mia, with their baby, are back visiting his parents and witnessing his dad's decline with Alzheimers.

Then a young woman is found dead on the beach. This takes the entire town back 12 years, the year of a terrible storm that killed Keiran's brother Finn and Finn's friend/business partner Toby as they rushed in their boat to rescue Keiran, missing at the caves. A teen, Gabby Birch, also went missing that day, presumed taken by the ocean.

Now another young woman is dead, and so many of the players are the same. The storm nearly broke the town--Mia's parents moved them to the mainland (Gabby was her best friend), Keiran's parents have never forgiven him, Keiran's dad was the last to see Gabby alive so was questioned extensively, Toby's son Sean has never forgiven Keiran, and Chris Wren, then a young officer, has been wondering about his then-superior's investigation ever since. Now is his chance ot show he can do better.

This is my first Harper, and it was exactly what I want in an audiobook. Easy-to-follow story, interesting story, good red herrings in the mix; fully competent narration. The descriptions of the weather, the beach, and the storm were all very well done. ( )
  Dreesie | Jun 16, 2022 |
Kieran Elliott returns to his seaside home town after a long absence, to visit his parents who will soon be moving away. Accompanied by his partner Mia and infant daughter, Audrey, the trip is also an opportunity to reconnect with old friends. When a young woman is found dead on the beach, it brings back memories of a storm twelve years earlier in which lives were lost, including Kieran’s brother Finn and the sister of Kieran’s friend Olivia.

Kieran, his family, and friends become involved in the police investigation of the current tragedy. The case is paralleled by unanswered questions from the past, and Kieran must reckon once again with feelings of loss and uncertainty that have never really gone away. The stories of past and present eventually intersect in a dramatic conclusion that is both satisfying and unsettling.

I really enjoy Jane Harper’s suspenseful fiction and will continue seeking out her books. ( )
  lauralkeet | Apr 26, 2022 |
Just couldn’t get into this at all. I got confused between the characters and was totally ungripped by the events.
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
Another easy crime/mystery read from Jane Harper, a good one to read over the Summer break. Set in a seaside Australian town, this novel has a good sense of place. Took me a little while to sort out who was who but overall, a good read if you don’t want anything overly complicated. ( )
  Mercef | Mar 23, 2022 |
Zelfs de diepste geheimen komen uiteindelijk bovendrijven
For Charlotte and Ted
from the prologue: She could-almost-have been one of The Survivors.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,797,419 books! | Top bar: Always visible