A Court of Silver Flames

by Sarah J. Maas

Once I figured out what irked me so hard about the last book, it just kinda ruined the whole series. Just got about halfway thru this one and decided I was done.
  Annrosenzweig | Oct 15, 2021 |
Grateful.
I am grateful that there are people out there in the world who have such an amazing ability to write for us, to make us see before our eyes the worlds and universeses and journeys.

Journey.
ACOSF can hardly be defined in a word. But journey, yes it does do it justice. The journey of a person through the highs and lows of her life. A journey of how each individual person that we meet has a hand in shaping us, in making us and also in breaking us.

Nesta Archeron
Words don't do justice to what she faced and what she worked so hard to overcome. Reading, imagining and envisioning the character development of Nesta has been one of the most surreal experiences of my life. I am not here to take a side on the hating vs adoring Nesta. I am just here to express my joy, gratitude and love towards Sarah J Maas, for creating such an amazing character. Not just in the sense of looks or power or attitude. But rather in the sense of depth of character, depth of self-loathing, depth of love and depth of the ability to go on and overcome everything with sheer will.

Cassian
I am not gonna lie and say that I don't want a Cassian. I do. But I also know that there is only one Cassian. And he Nesta are Made for each other. I am not someone who believes in these things. But I am also a hopeless romantic. And I am glad that Nessian is endgame. I know all readers out there understand this lingo. I am thankful that Cassian had the determination to "Keep reaching out your hand".

Training
I have always, okay not always, known the fact that physical training is what holds you together on some days. Didn't know that toe exercises existed until I read and watched Nesta do it, day after day. "If you do an hour of exercises right now, I'll owe you a favor." An eight pointed star tattoo bargain. (Where is my Illyrian and where is our bargain?)( Nevermind my ranting)

Friend
It seems like a small word, but friends are what Nesta needed. Gwyn and Emerie. Each having a history of their own, somehow found themselves in the training with Nesta. Their bond that strata from friendship and ultimately leads to sisterhood at the base of Ramiel is a thing of beauty.

The Blood Rite
Finally!! Getting to witness this firsthand was what I was hoping for.

The Gift-that-Cassian-threw-into-the-Sidra
Thank you thank you thank you. I don't know why but I appreciate Sarah for this much more than the SMUT!!!

THE SMUT
HOLY FREAKING HELL. THE SMUT!!!! I don't have the ability to mention the smut, or read it again without needing a cold shower. I suggest you read ACOSF in the close confines of your room, with easy access to water. Warning- High probability of spewing water all over the pages.

The House
"But your darkness... You were trying to show me. Show others. Who you are, down deep. What haunts you. You were trying to show them all those dark, broken pieces because the priestesses, and Emerie, and I... We're the same as you."
The best friendship of the whole damn series is the one between the House and Nesta.
"I am not afraid. You are my friend, and my home. Thank you for sharing this with me."

The Dance
Everyone has read the teaser of the dance between Nesta and Eris. Before today I had never heard music in my head while reading. The scene, the music and the dance is etched onto my memory forever.

NYX
I felt a lot stabby, when we almost lost Feyre, Rhys and babe Nyx. But, thank the Cauldron, The Mother and most importantly thank Nesta for saving them all.

And lastly, THE MATE BOND
The mate bond snapping into place for Nesta and Cassian was depicted so beautifully. I am saddened that we didn't get to see the mating ceremony.

Pages to beware of (paperback version)
PAGE 120
PAGE 434, 435, 436, 437 &438
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 54 ( )
  VipashaAiyer | Sep 28, 2021 |
A Court of Silver Flames by Sarah J. Maas brings us back to the night court. Nesta Archeron has been lost ever since she arrived at the court. Blaming herself for past mistakes and loathing her new powers, she has fallen into drinking and partying the pain away. When her sister and the court stage an intervention, it’s obvious that she has a long way to go to become the powerful being she is. With the help from Cassian and her new friends, she discovers how to harness her new strengths and fight for what she believes in. Read the rest of my review - https://bythecoverreview.com/2021/09/20/a-court-of-silver-flames-by-sarah-j-maas... ( )
  bythecoverreview | Sep 20, 2021 |
This review is also featured on Behind the Pages: A Court of Silver Flames

Forced to become high fey, Nesta loathes her very existence. She never asked for the immense power inside of her and the nightmares. Nesta no longer feels like she even fits into her own skin, let alone being able to find a place to call home. She would rather drown herself in alcohol than come to terms with her new reality. But Feyre is done providing her sister an easy escape and forces her to train with Cassien. Nesta loathes the male and seethes as she is given the choice to move into the House of Wind and begin training, or else be thrown into the human lands. Lands where the human queens have begun to plot against the fey. Aligning themselves with powerful allies and chasing old legends to gain power. The queens quickly become a new threat that must be dealt with.

Nesta did not immediately grab my attention when she was first introduced to the series. Her personality was too cruel for me, but after seeing a peek inside of her head during A Court of Frost and Starlight I wanted to give her story a try. Watching Nesta come to terms with her new reality and the mistakes of her past was an intense journey. Once I was able to piece together who Nesta was, I understood her better and though I still didn’t like her personality I was curious to see where the story would take her.

Nesta has an internal battle plaguing her as she also deals with complications from PTSD. Unwilling to show her weakness to others, she would rather lash out and keep people at arm's length. She is a character who spares no one mercy. As the story progresses people continue to chip away at the ice surrounding Nesta, and she fights tooth and nail against them. When the story focused on Nesta’s development it was brutal and intense. I enjoyed every moment of seeing Nesta learn how to communicate and form emotional ties to people once again. But unfortunately, the majority of A Court of Silver Flames is sex.

The previous installments in this series did have sex, but they also had beautiful storytelling. They had world-building that slowly expanded with each new addition, battles, magic and so much more outside of romantic relationships. There was a balance between the romance and the plot development. However, readers will barely hear about the queens. If anything, the growing unrest is the background plot. I wanted to know more about the queens, the ancient powers and see Nesta more involved with what was happening. If Sarah J. Maas would develop her entire plot like she did the last portion of A Court of Silver Flames. I would have enjoyed it so much more.

This series has steered away from telling a story to writing about adult fantasies which are not my cup of tea. This happened when I read Laurell Hamilton’s Anita Blake series, where the plot ceased to even exist. And I’m not sure I want to stand by and continue to watch such a wonderful series deteriorate. Sorry, my fellow bookish friends, I know many of you love this series, but I believe this is where my journey ends. ( )
  Letora | Sep 20, 2021 |
Mostly ok. I'm glad Nesta pulled herself out of her self destructive spiral, but I'm still kind of meh on her as a character.
The whole subplot with Feyre's pregnancy bugged me. I'm annoyed that the author wouldn't let her transform herself, especially once everything started going wrong--like how much worse could it get at that point? And Rhys' overprotectiveness, and everyone hiding the fact that it was dangerous from her, what??? I get that the baby is wanted, but maybe she would have chosen to terminate and try again if given the option early enough. And using the pregnancy as a mechanism to forward Nesta's character growth is just irritating, especially since she had to give up her power to save the day--I wanted Nesta being a badass and using it to burn the world down, especially since she didn't get to make it to the top of the mountain. ( )
  haloedrain | Aug 22, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

For every Nesta out there—
climb the mountain

And for Josh, Taran, and Annie,
who are the reason I keep climbing my own
The black water nipping at her thrashing heels was freezing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,153,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible