Spoiler Alert

by Olivia Dade

Series: Spoiler Alert (1)

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (nessreader)
    nessreader: For the love of geeks. Romance set in world of media fandom.

Reviewed for Shelf Awareness.

Excerpt from review:

"Spoiler Alert is told in alternating point of view chapters plus snippets of fan fiction, past direct messages and short (often terrible) bits of script from Marcus's acting roles. This structure immerses the reader in the romance between April and Marcus and the show they love, a unique reading experience that keeps the pages turning. Spoiler Alert is at turns warm, hot and funny, making it a must-watch for any romance fan."

I received a copy of this book from the publisher for review. ( )
  Cerestheories | Nov 8, 2021 |
I think I would have enjoyed this more if it weren't so blatantly about Game of Thrones , including the actor who played Jaime Lannister. (I only watched the first season, so I can't claim to be the biggest fan - sorry.)

I will say that I love fanfiction. I read it. I write it. Some of the fanfiction storylines I've read were better than that of the actual books/movies/TV shows. Have I personally had crushes on fictional characters or the actors that played them? Absolutely. As a curvy fangirl, I appreciate that the heroine has insecurities about her weight while still trying to be comfortable with herself despite other people's conceptions. And I think it's nice to daydream that it's possible for a handsome, intelligent, male celebrity to mutually fall in love with an unconventionally-pretty fanfic-writing "commoner."

But when it's blatantly directed at one show and one actor? It just makes me a little uncomfortable. Similarly, all of the parental issues felt incredibly personal (but it's possible the author is just good at writing rage/grief/hurt as opposed to simply channeling it through fiction.) And if my discomfort at these things weren't enough to annoy me, I spent 3/4 of the book ordering Marcus to tell the truth already. UGH.

So, yes... There are feel-good moments that are nice, but for me, it didn't balance out against the rest of the book. ( )
  bookwyrmqueen | Oct 25, 2021 |
Ok I have mixed feelings about this book. I loved Marcus so fucking much!!! He has got to be one of the most best book bf ever but I will be honest his character is a little dry. He is such a gentlemen and also tried to make sure April was always comfortable, but I felt like we needed to see a bigger character change earlier in the book other then the last 20 pages. I wanted to read more about the film he made at the end. Then April I really liked because she was confident and had interests that I thought similar of! Fat shaming is disgusting and honestly whoever does it proves to show that they are insecure of themselves and try to put others down just to feel better about themselves. I disliked their parents very much for obvious reasons if u read the book. I feel very bad for her mother and her father is honestly a disgusting human. The only problem I had with this book was it was kind of boring. It didn’t keep me going or get me hooked. It was a fun read that took me several days to get through but that was just kind of it. I do like that I read this book though, especially since it is the first time I’ve read the main girl character being a plus sized person! ( )
  Fehime | Oct 24, 2021 |
Marcus Caster-Rupp is the star of one of the biggest shows on television, Gods of the Gates, similar to Game of Thrones. As with many such shows, there is popular fan fiction written about the show that has spawned its own community. Unbeknownst to anyone, Marcus has started anonymously writing his own fan fiction on the site in an attempt to "fix" what he considers to be poor choices made in the scripts provided by the showrunners. When someone insults April Whittier on Twitter when she posts a picture of herself in her cosplay outfit, Marcus publicly arranges a date with her. Little does he know that April is actually his friend from the fanfic site. Their relationship flourishes, but Marcus is afraid to tell her who he really is.

Spoiler Alert tackles many timely issues including fatshaming and misconceptions about dyslexia in this tale about self-image and acceptance. April is a very believable, no nonsense woman who is just coming into her own. Marcus, however, as an actor, is a tough sell. After starring on one of the most popular shows on television for several years, he has no entourage and can seemingly do pretty much whatever he wants without being accosted in public. His self-awareness is a little hard to accept in today's shallow world of entertainment. Overall, however, this is a romance with much more depth than might be expected in a story of this type and is well worth the read. ( )
  ftbooklover | Oct 12, 2021 |
Dont read alot of romance but add fanfic, Aeneid, plus size ladies, dyslexia, parental issues, vulnerable love and you win my heart.

Book was much spocier than I thought it would be. Rated E for explicit. Haha.

Did the audiobook. Amazing!

Someone complained there was lots of sex and for someone that doesnt read these types of novels and blushes at heated flirting...it was fine.

First intimate scene isnt until half way through the book and steamy scenes cease by the 75% point. ( )
  MorbidLibrarian | Sep 18, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

To everyone who's ever doubted, as I did: Someone who looks

like you can be desired. Someone who looks like you can be loved.

Someone who looks like you can have a happy ending. I swear it. ♥
Between takes, Marcus did his best not to acknowledge the obvious: this was a stupid-ass way to die.

Marcus Caster-Rupp has a secret.

The world may know him as Aeneas, star of the biggest show on television, but fanfiction readers call him something else: Book!AeneasWouldNever. Marcus gets out his frustrations with the show through anonymous stories about the internet’s favorite couple, Aeneas and Lavinia. But if anyone discovered his online persona, he’d be finished in Hollywood.

April Whittier has secrets of her own. A hardcore Lavinia fan, she’s long hidden her fanfic and cosplay hobbies from her “real life”—but not anymore. When she dares to post her latest costume creation on Twitter, her plus-size take goes viral. And when Marcus asks her out to spite her internet critics, truth officially becomes stranger than fanfiction.

On their date, Marcus quickly realizes he wants more from April than a one-time publicity stunt. But when he discovers she’s Unapologetic Lavinia Stan, his closest fandom friend, he has one more huge secret to keep from her.

With love and Marcus’s career on the line, can the two of them stop hiding once and for all, or will a match made in fandom end up prematurely cancelled?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,549,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible