Spoiler Alert

by Olivia Dade

Series: Spoiler Alert (1 | Marcus Caster-Rupp + April Whittier)

Marcus Caster-Rupp has a secret. The world may know him as Aeneas, star of the biggest show on television, but fanfiction readers call him something else: Book!AeneasWouldNever. Marcus gets out his frustrations with the show through anonymous stories about the internet's favorite couple, Aeneas and Lavinia. But if anyone discovered his online persona, he'd be finished in Hollywood. April Whittier has secrets of her own. A hardcore Lavinia fan, she's long hidden her fanfic and cosplay hobbies from her "real life"--but not anymore. When she dares to post her latest costume creation on Twitter, her plus-size take goes viral. And when Marcus asks her out to spite her internet critics, truth officially becomes stranger than fanfiction. On their date, Marcus quickly realizes he wants more from April than a one-time publicity stunt. But when he discovers she's Unapologetic Lavinia Stan, his closest fandom friend, he has one more huge secret to keep from her. With love and Marcus's career on the line, can the two of them stop hiding once and for all, or will a match made in fandom end up prematurely cancelled? --… (more)
    Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (nessreader)
    nessreader: For the love of geeks. Romance set in world of media fandom.

I really liked this book. I love the inclusion of fanfic, fandoms, internet friendships and body acceptance. Fanfic and fandoms were not looked down upon, rather just as communities that exist and consist of many kinds of folks. ( )
  s_carr | Feb 25, 2024 |
Library book

Absolutely absurd premise but a lovely fantasy I suppose that the dreamboat TV hunk is really an insecure lonely guy who happens to be your secret online best friend and then he miraculously falls in love with you when he accidentally meets you in real life even though you are nerdy and fat.

I disliked the heroine because she was so over the top with the messages of acceptance that she was espousing throughout the book. Even though I agree with her general positions I found the fact that she never slipped or made even the slightest false move to be super annoying. I mean really, I’m all for a main Character with high self esteem but to have no insecurities about dating a hot celebrity? No gossipy conversations with friends about nerves or disbelief that this was happening or anything? Just irritating to me.

hmonkeyreads | Jan 25, 2024 |
A quick enjoyable book. I enjoy romances with characters that have relatable problems, and this book was a refreshing change. Was it realistic? No, absolutely not. I enjoyed the fan fiction components, but I'm not into fanfic, so I didn't worry about the accuracy of any of it. I also enjoyed the send-up of Game of Thrones, but I'm also not into the TV series. This book might be annoying for people heavily invested in either of those topics. ( )
  Greenfrog342 | Jan 22, 2024 |
Predictable contemporary romance in which a self-described fat geologist hooks up with a devastatingly handsome TV actor. Everything is great until the inevitable (for the genre) but completely preventable misunderstanding at the end. Not for me, but fans of the genre should like it. ( )
  akblanchard | Dec 16, 2023 |
I enjoyed the representation (the cover is gorgeous and true to contents) and the fanfic world. I also enjoyed the characters. The families of both leads were egregious and I wished that at least one side had been good. Another thing was the ML read a lot younger in my head due to internal musings and some actions.

A fun romcom ( )
  DramPan | Sep 6, 2023 |

Dade, Oliviaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kauffman, LeniCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Spoiler Alert (1 | Marcus Caster-Rupp + April Whittier)
To everyone who's ever doubted, as I did: Someone who looks

like you can be desired. Someone who looks like you can be loved.

Someone who looks like you can have a happy ending. I swear it. ♥
Between takes, Marcus did his best not to acknowledge the obvious: this was a stupid-ass way to die.
If you ever decide to write your own scripts, a bit of advice to keep in mind: As we are both aware - all too aware - some scriptwriters believe death and misery and stagnation are more clever, more meaningful, and more authentic to reality than love and happiness and change. But life isn't all misery, and finding a path through hard, hard lives to joy is tough, clever, meaningful work. Yours sincerely, E. Wade.

Marcus Caster-Rupp has a secret.

The world may know him as Aeneas, star of the biggest show on television, but fanfiction readers call him something else: Book!AeneasWouldNever. Marcus gets out his frustrations with the show through anonymous stories about the internet’s favorite couple, Aeneas and Lavinia. But if anyone discovered his online persona, he’d be finished in Hollywood.

April Whittier has secrets of her own. A hardcore Lavinia fan, she’s long hidden her fanfic and cosplay hobbies from her “real life”—but not anymore. When she dares to post her latest costume creation on Twitter, her plus-size take goes viral. And when Marcus asks her out to spite her internet critics, truth officially becomes stranger than fanfiction.

On their date, Marcus quickly realizes he wants more from April than a one-time publicity stunt. But when he discovers she’s Unapologetic Lavinia Stan, his closest fandom friend, he has one more huge secret to keep from her.

With love and Marcus’s career on the line, can the two of them stop hiding once and for all, or will a match made in fandom end up prematurely cancelled?

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 202,080,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible