Spoiler Alert

by Olivia Dade

Series: Spoiler Alert (1)

National Bestseller Olivia Dade bursts onto the scene in this delightfully fun romantic comedy set in the world of fanfiction, in which a devoted fan goes on an unexpected date with her celebrity crush, who's secretly posting fanfiction of his own.  Marcus Caster-Rupp has a secret. The world may know him as Aeneas, star of the biggest show on television, but fanfiction readers call him something else: Book!AeneasWouldNever. Marcus gets out his frustrations with the show through anonymous stories about the internet's favorite couple, Aeneas and Lavinia. But if anyone discovered his online persona, he'd be finished in Hollywood. April Whittier has secrets of her own. A hardcore Lavinia fan, she's long hidden her fanfic and cosplay hobbies from her "real life"--but not anymore. When she dares to post her latest costume creation on Twitter, her plus-size take goes viral. And when Marcus asks her out to spite her internet critics, truth officially becomes stranger than fanfiction. On their date, Marcus quickly realizes he wants more from April than a one-time publicity stunt. But when he discovers she's Unapologetic Lavinia Stan, his closest fandom friend, he has one more huge secret to keep from her. With love and Marcus's career on the line, can the two of them stop hiding once and for all, or will a match made in fandom end up prematurely cancelled?… (more)
Recently added byKWO996, private library, beserene, Silenostar, fjii86, OliviaAB, tuusannuuska, LVStrongPuff, Morphidae
    Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (nessreader)
    nessreader: For the love of geeks. Romance set in world of media fandom.

Honestly I loved the book at the beginning, but in the middle I almost stopped reading the book. It just didn't seem believed to me. Thankful the ending made up for it. I loved April and Marcus together. I had a few issues with the parents on both sides of the main characters. I feel like Marcus' parents should have known what was wrong with him and the reason the book explained it off didn't work with me. April's parents just didn't feel as developed as Marcus' parents. I really couldn't like or hate them either way.

Over all this story was cute. I will read more from the author in the future. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 30, 2022 |
I love this book so much. It's hard not to become a fan of the show as described and also the fanfic snippets shared. The author uses comparison pieces of the script, fanfics, DMs, and bb posts to show how to relationships of the fans to the show, the fans to each other, and the actors are all developing during the six seasons the show's on the air.

I need this on the screen. I want to see the cosplay, the cons, the set.

I hope Alex and Lauren get a book. And Peter and Maria. Just prepared to get fully consumed with a fandom that doesn't exist. ( )
  yonitdm | Sep 1, 2022 |
Marcus Caster-Rupp is an actor in a Game of Thrones type fantasy show called Gods of the Gates. He is known as gorgeous and portrays himself as dim and shallow. However he is actually intelligent and struggles with dyslexia. What he really enjoys doing in secret is writing Gods of the Gate fanfiction and being a beta-reader for April.

April Whittier is a geologist and huge fan of Gods of the Gates. She is plus sized, into cosplay and fanfiction, and loves herself. This is something I really appreciate in this book. It pushes that plus size women can find love and have happy endings.

Both Marcus and April deal with family issues and image issues, and Marcus is really a good, sweet man. There was a misunderstanding in the beginning but it was quickly dealt with and I definitely appreciated that. That being said as the book went on I personally found April’s reactions to be a bit tiresome and in some cases felt she overreacted. Towards the end of the book we see a bit of her backstory and I feel like if we had known that sooner her reactions would have made more sense.

I loved that this story took place between fanfiction writers. This is a cool concept and in between chapters there are some fanfiction excerpts that are short and fun to read. I think their relationship works because even though it might seem fast paced they have really known each other for 2 years prior as each other's beta readers. It’s just that one of them doesn’t know the identity of the other.

Overall this was an interesting story and unique in some aspects. I loved that it celebrated body positivity and courage. If you are into fanfiction and celebrity crushes and just the fandom life in general you will like this book. ( )
  AndSkye | Aug 23, 2022 |
April Whittier is done hiding herself. She's changing jobs for a position where her co-workers won't judge her for her active participation in the Gods of the Gates fandom, where she both writes fanfics and is preparing to cosplay at the upcoming con. She's also done with people who fat shame her. So she's prepared for some of the trolls who will come out of the woodwork when she posts a picture of herself on Twitter in her newest costume. What she isn't prepared for is Marcus Caster-Rupp, one of the stars of Gods of the Gates, to come to her defense AND ask her on a date. Marcus is completely happy to go on a date with fan to shut up the trolls, especially with a beautiful woman. But when he discovers that April is also the same person behind the online handle who betas the fix-it fics he writes for Gods of the Gates (a big contravention of his contract if any of the showrunners ever found out) and who is already one of his favourite people on the planet, he knows things are going to be complicated.

This book is SO good. A truly body positive romance that doesn't shy away from describing the details of April's body while also making it clear that she is beautiful and that Marcus recognizes her beauty (inside and out). It's also a really well done dive into the ins and outs of fan culture and the fanfic writing communities that can rise up around books and shows. I was particularly delighted by the excerpts from fanfics from the fictional community Dade has created as well as the bits of scripts from some of the films Marcus did earlier in his career as they frequently made me crack up. While the big conflict of the book is pretty clearly outlined from the beginning, the book is an excellent read throughout. I look forward to reading further books in this series and also other works from Dade. Highly recommended, particularly for anyone who has ever dipped their toe into the realm fanfiction. ( )
  MickyFine | Jul 27, 2022 |
This is about a fanfiction writer who an actor asks on a date, and how it progresses. The actor who asked her out, is in the show she writes fanfiction for. Trigger warnings for fatphobia from enraged fans, emotionally abusive parents for both the actor and the fanfiction writer, and a 'blink and you miss it' anti-lesbian remark. April's mom infantilizes her and takes serious issue with her being fat, and I was unhappy. The later reveal about her mom excuses nothing. April is fine with her weight and I was delighted. She made a few jokes about men liking her large breasts, and I laughed. Her confidence was refreshing. A lot of the flirting in here was so stupid that at first, I didn't even register it as such. I enjoyed how naturally and convincingly everything unfolded, and how communication errors were noted and resolved, even the big one. Little ones are often used to drag out whole novels or TV shows, but this was a refreshing change. I appreciated the page count that the big communication issue was treated with, when it came out. Marcus wrote and posted fanfic for April as an apology at one point. I shall draw your attention to the fact that I ate my feelings, rather than the fact that I cried a little and remembered I had leftovers in the fridge. But I laughed a lot, too. The author wrote samples of movies Marcus had been in, fanfic about him, and email conversations as chapter transitions. It did a lot to lighten or enhance certain moods. I'm glad I got to read this. I was big into fanfiction for a long time. SasuNaru was my OTP. I've somehwat gotten back into it, and this story made me feel good about it. I attended multiple conventions for six years, only leaving when it got way too expensive and I'd run out of ideas on costumes besides. I haven't been back to one in--uh, ten years, I just realized, and probably won't. They're even more expensive, and I still have no ideas really. But this brought back fond memories of attending them. ( )
  iszevthere | Jul 6, 2022 |

Dade, Oliviaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kauffman, LeniCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To everyone who's ever doubted, as I did: Someone who looks

like you can be desired. Someone who looks like you can be loved.

Someone who looks like you can have a happy ending. I swear it. ♥
Between takes, Marcus did his best not to acknowledge the obvious: this was a stupid-ass way to die.
If you ever decide to write your own scripts, a bit of advice to keep in mind: As we are both aware - all too aware - some scriptwriters believe death and misery and stagnation are more clever, more meaningful, and more authentic to reality than love and happiness and change. But life isn't all misery, and finding a path through hard, hard lives to joy is tough, clever, meaningful work. Yours sincerely, E. Wade.

Marcus Caster-Rupp has a secret.

The world may know him as Aeneas, star of the biggest show on television, but fanfiction readers call him something else: Book!AeneasWouldNever. Marcus gets out his frustrations with the show through anonymous stories about the internet’s favorite couple, Aeneas and Lavinia. But if anyone discovered his online persona, he’d be finished in Hollywood.

April Whittier has secrets of her own. A hardcore Lavinia fan, she’s long hidden her fanfic and cosplay hobbies from her “real life”—but not anymore. When she dares to post her latest costume creation on Twitter, her plus-size take goes viral. And when Marcus asks her out to spite her internet critics, truth officially becomes stranger than fanfiction.

On their date, Marcus quickly realizes he wants more from April than a one-time publicity stunt. But when he discovers she’s Unapologetic Lavinia Stan, his closest fandom friend, he has one more huge secret to keep from her.

With love and Marcus’s career on the line, can the two of them stop hiding once and for all, or will a match made in fandom end up prematurely cancelled?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,471,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible