Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase

Lord of Scoundrels

by Loretta Chase

English (64)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (66)
Lord of Scoundrels
4.5 Stars

When Jessica Trent meets Sebastian Ballister, the notorious Marquess of Dain, it is hate at first sight. Sebastian is everything Jessica despises in a man - selfish, undisciplined, manipulative and rakish. Jessica is all that Sebastian disdains in a woman - intelligent, self-aware and virginal. Unfortunately for Jessica and Sebastian, passion knows no bounds and the two can’t seem to keep their hands off each other, which puts them in a very compromising position that demands satisfaction for them both…

The first half of the book is incredible with Sebastian and Jessica’s witty bickering, which is some of the best banter I’ve encountered. Their chemistry is off the charts and it is impossible not to love Jessica for shooting Sebastian

The second half goes off in a completely different direction with the introduction of Sebastian’s illegitimate child. As this is not usually a trope that I enjoy, I was wary for a while but Chase pulls it off admirably and it only highlights both Sebastian’s insecurities and his desperate need to love and be loved, as well as Jessica’s strength of character and unconditional love.

In sum, a highly enjoyable story with wonderful characters and I look forward to reading more by this author in the future. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
I was hooked on HR for a very long time - this is my top book
  Deleine | May 10, 2016 |
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
Okay, I totally loved this book. There were times that I was telling myself that I shouldn't love it as much as I was... because Dain could be a bit of a jerk. But, I stayed up past midnight to read it, and I woke up before my alarm clock so I could read more! I've also skipped working so I could finish it... And, so I LOVED it and it is totally a star book for me. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
  Conkie | Sep 20, 2015 |
Thanks to: Sal Raciti, for the choice Italian phrases;
Carol Proko Easton, for the loan of her splendid books
on Russian icons; Cynthia Drelinger, for computer
processing my pencil hieroglyphics; and my husband,
Walter, and our friend, Owen Halpern, for an
unforgettable journey through England’s beautiful west
country.
In the spring of 1792, Dominick Edward Guy de Ath
Ballister, third Marquess of Dain, Earl of Blackmoor,
Viscount Launcells, Baron Ballister and Launcells, lost his
wife and four children to typhus.

They call him many names, but Angelic isn't one of them . . .

Sebastian Ballister, the notorious Marquess of Dain, is big, bad, and dangerous to know. No respectable woman would have anything to do with the "Bane and Blight of the Ballisters"—and he wants nothing to do with respectable women. He's determined to continue doing what he does best—sin and sin again—and all that's going swimmingly, thank you . . . until the day a shop door opens and she walks in.

She's too intelligent to fall for the worst man in the world . . .

Jessica Trent is a determined young woman, and she's going to drag her imbecile brother off the road to ruin, no matter what it takes. If saving him—and with him, her family and future—means taking on the devil himself, she won't back down. The trouble is, the devil in question is so shockingly irresistible, and the person who needs the most saving is—herself!

Annotation

To rescue her foolish brother from financial ruin at the hands of an unscrupulous nobleman, Jessica Trent journeys to Paris and confronts Sebastian Ballister, the crafty nobleman. But he creates a scandal when he kisses her at a party. Thus begins the fiery relationship between the callow rake and the strong-willed beauty. Original.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380776162, Mass Market Paperback)

Tough minded Jessica Trent's sole intention is to free her nitwit brother from the destructive influence of Sebastian Ballister, the notorious Marquess of Diain. She never expects to desire the arrogant, amoral cad. And When Daine's reciprocal passion places them in a scandalously compromising, and public, position, Jessica is left with no choice but to seek satisfaction... Damn the minx for tempting him, kissing him...and then for forcing him to salvage reputation! Lord Dain can't wait to put the infuriating bluestocking in her place -- and in some amorous position. And if this means marriage, so be it -- though Sebastian is less than certain he can continue to remain aloof...and steal his heart to the sensuous, head strong lady's considerable charms.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:29 -0400)

Realizing her attraction to the Marquess of Dain despite her opinion that he is an amoral cad, tough-minded Jessica Trent is scandalized when they are seen in a compromising position, and she vows to make him preserve her reputation.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,897,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible