Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase

Lord of Scoundrels

by Loretta Chase

English (60)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (62)
I read this in an attempt to read a book in a genre I'd never tried before. Romance novels are not my cup of tea, so I got a recommendation of one to check out and this was it. It was interesting and had more of a plot than I expected. Take my review with a grain of salt, because I don't have any other books in this genre to compare it to. It was a quick read and entertaining. ( )
  bookworm12 | Jul 22, 2015 |
I bought this after seeing it described somewhere as the quintessential historical romance and it certainly is enjoyable. Jessica seeks to detach her foolish brother from the wicked Lord Dain, who she sees as a bad influence on him. Of course Dain turns out to be not so much wicked as unloved and convinced he is unloveable. Jessica was very funny and I particularly enjoyed the scene where she bursts in on an orgy at Dain's house because she is cross that her brother has failed to return home.

I have both read this and listened to the audiobook and the details of the whole Beaumont/Vautry/Charity plot still remain murky, but it hardly matters. I liked the way we see into both Jessica and Dain's thoughts and thus understand Dain's more bewildering mood swings. Jessica's brother and grandmother are excellent supporting characters. Funny and romantic. ( )
  pgchuis | Apr 17, 2015 |
Read it while cuddling with my cat. LOL ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
I thought this was an entertaining read. The hero & heroine both had their flaws and their strengths.

They call him many names, but Angelic isn't one of them . . .

Sebastian Ballister, the notorious Marquess of Dain, is big, bad, and dangerous to know. No respectable woman would have anything to do with the "Bane and Blight of the Ballisters"—and he wants nothing to do with respectable women. He's determined to continue doing what he does best—sin and sin again—and all that's going swimmingly, thank you . . . until the day a shop door opens and she walks in.

She's too intelligent to fall for the worst man in the world . . .

Jessica Trent is a determined young woman, and she's going to drag her imbecile brother off the road to ruin, no matter what it takes. If saving him—and with him, her family and future—means taking on the devil himself, she won't back down. The trouble is, the devil in question is so shockingly irresistible, and the person who needs the most saving is—herself! ( )
  oldriverbooks | Mar 2, 2015 |
This historical romance had a good plot and I particularly liked the heroine's unique approach in chipping away at the hero's bitterness but I skimmed lots of the mental rationalization that happened after every event. Tough-minded Jessica tries to free her nitwit brother from destructive influence of the Marquess of Dain. ( )
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
Thanks to: Sal Raciti, for the choice Italian phrases;
Carol Proko Easton, for the loan of her splendid books
on Russian icons; Cynthia Drelinger, for computer
processing my pencil hieroglyphics; and my husband,
Walter, and our friend, Owen Halpern, for an
unforgettable journey through England’s beautiful west
country.
In the spring of 1792, Dominick Edward Guy de Ath
Ballister, third Marquess of Dain, Earl of Blackmoor,
Viscount Launcells, Baron Ballister and Launcells, lost his
wife and four children to typhus.

They call him many names, but Angelic isn't one of them . . .

She's too intelligent to fall for the worst man in the world . . .

Annotation

To rescue her foolish brother from financial ruin at the hands of an unscrupulous nobleman, Jessica Trent journeys to Paris and confronts Sebastian Ballister, the crafty nobleman. But he creates a scandal when he kisses her at a party. Thus begins the fiery relationship between the callow rake and the strong-willed beauty. Original.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380776162, Mass Market Paperback)

Tough minded Jessica Trent's sole intention is to free her nitwit brother from the destructive influence of Sebastian Ballister, the notorious Marquess of Diain. She never expects to desire the arrogant, amoral cad. And When Daine's reciprocal passion places them in a scandalously compromising, and public, position, Jessica is left with no choice but to seek satisfaction... Damn the minx for tempting him, kissing him...and then for forcing him to salvage reputation! Lord Dain can't wait to put the infuriating bluestocking in her place -- and in some amorous position. And if this means marriage, so be it -- though Sebastian is less than certain he can continue to remain aloof...and steal his heart to the sensuous, head strong lady's considerable charms.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:29 -0400)

Realizing her attraction to the Marquess of Dain despite her opinion that he is an amoral cad, tough-minded Jessica Trent is scandalized when they are seen in a compromising position, and she vows to make him preserve her reputation.

74 wanted3 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,422,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible