Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase

Lord of Scoundrels

by Loretta Chase

916None9,524 (4.2)64
Recently added bymlorio, thehistorychic, private library, C4RO, Sherry_Haut, AoifeT, carusromae, B.J.O.

English (52)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (54)
Listened for Fun (Gift from a Friend)
Overall Rating: 4.50
Story Rating; 4.25
Character Rating: 4.75

Audio Rating; 4.50 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase: My dear friends, "I dare you to try!" *nod nod wink wink*

Read It File It: Lord of Scoundrels really was just yummy historical goodness. This will go on my reread shelf. I will fall in love with Sabastian over and over again. There shall be no doubt about it. Jessica is wonderfully matched to him and can hold her own. She truly is the minx to his scoundrel!

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated by: Kate Reading /Length: 11 hrs and 39 mins

Kate did an EXCELLENT job. She is a really great narrator and I think historicals are her bread and butter. I would totally recommend this one on audio.

Final Thought: Sabastian and Jessica will make you swoon with delight! ( )
  thehistorychic | Apr 15, 2014 |
A masterfully written, historical romance with elements of suspense and humor. Reminiscent of Beauty and the Beast, LORD OF SCOUNDRELS is full of rich, thought provoking symbolism. A classic romance written in 1995, and now finally available on audio! Ms. Reading's incredible performance as narrator is the icing on what was already a decadently delicious treat!

Jessica Trent is an extremely intelligent, virgin, spinster (at the ripe old age of 27!) who has no interest in getting married. She comes home to save her brother from a nefarious relationship with the decidedly immoral, Sebastian Ballister, the notorious Marquess of Dain. Lord Dain having grown up with little love, believes himself to be wicked and incapable of being loved and refuses to have anything to do with respectable women. What neither Lord Dain nor Jessica ever could have expected is that in her quest to save her brother, both would become besotted with each other even if completely vexed by how frustrating the other is. But can Jessica ever crumble the numerous walls that Lord Dain has built around his heart after a loveless life or will he destroy too?

The relationship between Jessica and Lord Dain is so intricately developed that it resembles a Grandmasters Chess Tournament. Just when you think one character has finally gotten the upper hand, the other dredges up a completely unexpected ruse for their next expertly played move!

Narration: Ms. Reading is a top-notch narrator, having narrated hundreds of books. Ms. Reading's facility with voices is extraordinary. Not only can Ms. Reading make a convincing female and male voice, but she is extremely adept at making countless versions thereof. Even more entertaining is her ability to handle multiple languages (Italian and French in this book) and accents (her cockney accent is quite entertaining). Ms. Reading is also a master at delivery. She cleverly timed the pace of the witty banter between Jessica and Lord Dain with impeccable timing and just the right amount of acting. Perhaps my only observation, and I may be in the minority here, but I found Ms. Reading's choice of voice for Jessica to be a little too deep which made her sound older than her twenty-seven years. Nonetheless, I think Ms. Reading's performance was fantastic and really brought LORD OF SCOUNDRELS to life for me!

LORD OF SCOUNDRELS is a must 5-star listen for anyone who loves a romance with a strong heroine, witty banter and a HEA! You will no doubt keep thinking about this novel long after you have finished it, and it will be a new addition to your listen to again list!

Source: I received a free copy of this audiobook in exchange for my unbiased review.

Title: Lord of Scoundrels
Author: Loretta Chase
Narrator: Kate Reading
Unabridged Length: 11 h, 39 m
Published by Blackstone Audio, 2014
Genres: Romance, Historical Fiction ( )
  B.J.O. | Mar 10, 2014 |
It's brisk and sometimes witty, but I couldn't get past the absurdly overblown prose, two-dimensional characters (the heavy-handed provision of a tortured past for Dain did not help), and basically silly plot. I can imagine that for someone versed in the conventions of the genre, there might be other charms here, but for me, the book read like a parody of my worst imaginings about romance fiction. I found it much funnier than I think it meant to be...

Update I reread this because I have come a long way since my first read in terms of understanding of and experience with the genre -- and I really enjoyed Mr. Impossible. I still found this one a bit overdone, especially the tortured backstory and the melodramatic language, but this time I appreciated Jess a lot and found the repartee much wittier than I did before too. I don't love it, but I think I get it in a way I didn't the first time!
  rmaitzen | Feb 7, 2014 |
Details seemed a bit sloppy after reading all those Heyers. Though I liked Dain and Jessica fairly well, I don't think it's really a book that's going to stick with me. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
OK, I admit I'm very torn in rating this book. I'm not sure that I LOVE it the way so many others do. But I did like it, and I love some things about it. Jess is a 5* heroine, she's just great. She's smart and strong and her dialogue with Dain (and with others) is witty, meaningful and beautifully written as Loretta Chase's dialogue so often is. It may be because I liked Jessica so much that I could not warm up to Dain. I started with a great deal of empathy for him as a child and young man. But then he was just such a jerk to both Jess and his son that I lost whatever goodwill I had. In many ways, he's a much better character than many of the "fake rakes" in historical romances who never really do anything remotely debauched. Dain is the real deal, he's not a good man dressing up as a bad boy who is secretly nice to old ladies and kittens. At the same time, there are times he can be achingly sweet (the betrothal ring totally sucked me in). But many times I was wishing that Jess would leave him. That if she were my friend in real life I would tell her to run, run far away a man who's so manipulative.

But that complex characterization certainly makes this better written than many romances. And that's what this 5* rating is for. I've given 5*s for books that I objectively know weren't as well written but I just loved the characters or they were so much fun to read. I don't honestly know if I can see myself re-reading this book. It's far from my favorite Loretta Chase (Mr. Impossible! How I love you!) but, buuuuut, it's not often that a romance makes me think so much about nuance of character or makes me so invested in them that I'm giving them real life advice in my head. So if I've given 5*s for enjoyment, here's one for the craft of the writer to make me invested and thinking about characters even when I'm not "enjoying" them.

CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
Thanks to: Sal Raciti, for the choice Italian phrases;
Carol Proko Easton, for the loan of her splendid books
on Russian icons; Cynthia Drelinger, for computer
processing my pencil hieroglyphics; and my husband,
Walter, and our friend, Owen Halpern, for an
unforgettable journey through England’s beautiful west
country.
In the spring of 1792, Dominick Edward Guy de Ath
Ballister, third Marquess of Dain, Earl of Blackmoor,
Viscount Launcells, Baron Ballister and Launcells, lost his
wife and four children to typhus.

They call him many names, but Angelic isn't one of them . . .

Sebastian Ballister, the notorious Marquess of Dain, is big, bad, and dangerous to know. No respectable woman would have anything to do with the "Bane and Blight of the Ballisters"—and he wants nothing to do with respectable women. He's determined to continue doing what he does best—sin and sin again—and all that's going swimmingly, thank you . . . until the day a shop door opens and she walks in.

She's too intelligent to fall for the worst man in the world . . .

Jessica Trent is a determined young woman, and she's going to drag her imbecile brother off the road to ruin, no matter what it takes. If saving him—and with him, her family and future—means taking on the devil himself, she won't back down. The trouble is, the devil in question is so shockingly irresistible, and the person who needs the most saving is—herself!

Annotation

To rescue her foolish brother from financial ruin at the hands of an unscrupulous nobleman, Jessica Trent journeys to Paris and confronts Sebastian Ballister, the crafty nobleman. But he creates a scandal when he kisses her at a party. Thus begins the fiery relationship between the callow rake and the strong-willed beauty. Original.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380776162, Mass Market Paperback)

Tough minded Jessica Trent's sole intention is to free her nitwit brother from the destructive influence of Sebastian Ballister, the notorious Marquess of Diain. She never expects to desire the arrogant, amoral cad. And When Daine's reciprocal passion places them in a scandalously compromising, and public, position, Jessica is left with no choice but to seek satisfaction... Damn the minx for tempting him, kissing him...and then for forcing him to salvage reputation! Lord Dain can't wait to put the infuriating bluestocking in her place -- and in some amorous position. And if this means marriage, so be it -- though Sebastian is less than certain he can continue to remain aloof...and steal his heart to the sensuous, head strong lady's considerable charms.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:30 -0400)

Realizing her attraction to the Marquess of Dain despite her opinion that he is an amoral cad, tough-minded Jessica Trent is scandalized when they are seen in a compromising position, and she vows to make him preserve her reputation.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,487,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible