While Stanton's earlier work featured portrait photographs specifically in New York, his latest takes him around the globe with people's photographs and stories from Iran, Ghana, Italy, France, and more (and yes, in New York too). Each photograph has its subject clear with the background blurred, sometimes of a person or two seated in a park, or standing on the sidewalk, and other times it focuses on just part of the figure with the face cut off, hands clasped or holding a cigarette, or a phone held out showing an older photograph. Beside each are the person's story, whether that be struggles or heartache, a love story, or in some cases just one line of text.

Those familiar with Stanton's work on social media will find the form familiar and still appreciate this collection, some of which has been posted and others that I don't remember seeing at all. It's heartbreaking and joyful and all the emotions in between. In his introduction, Stanton reflects that a collection like this can't really capture the whole of human existence, but wow, what he does include is really striking, and left me thankful for the life I have. Some photos were so striking, I just had to look at the person for a bit before reading their story. In between sections, Stanton writes a few thoughts on "struggle" or "connection" and how his process of finding a photo subject and talking with them works. Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote bell7 | Feb 6, 2021 |
In this expansion of his Humans of New York project, Brandon Stanton travels to cities around the world to photograph people he meets on the street, interview them, and share parts of their stories. It's an extremely interesting exercise, and a good reminder that everyone we encounter, everywhere, has their own story and their own struggles. But what really struck me about this one is how terribly unhappy (or even, in some cases, horrific) the majority of these stories seem to be. I doubt it's the intended effect, but mostly it just leaves me with the impression of the world as one profoundly sad place. ( )
  bragan | Jan 15, 2021 |
I love his Instagram posts and this book is just as brilliant. He dds dimension in his introductory remarks to the sections. ( )
  geraldinefm | Oct 28, 2020 |
A continuation of Brandon Stanton's HONY project, this one stretching to many corners of the world. What an amazing, sad, funny, exhilarating, tragic, and heartfelt trip through the stories and fates of humans around the world. The project is fantastic and Stanton's ability to get people to share their inner and outer journeys with him (and us) is beyond compare. Be prepared to be appalled at some of the things we humans do to each other and to be elated at the heart and spirit of the human race. Great pictures, great project, great work, great guy. Recommended for anyone and everyone human. ( )
  -Eva- | Oct 23, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,378,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible