The Duke and I

by Julia Quinn

Series: Bridgertons {Julia Quinn} (1)

Simon Basset, the irresistible Duke of Hastings, has hatched a plan to keep himself free from the town's marriage-minded society mothers. He pretends to be engaged to the lovely Daphne Bridgerton. After all, it isn't as if the brooding rogue has any real plans to marry--though there is something about the alluring Miss Bridgerton that sets Simon's heart beating a bit faster. And as for Daphne, surely the clever debutante will attract some very worthy suitors now that is seems a duke has declared her desirable. But as Daphne waltzes across ballroom after ballroom with Simon, she soon forgets that their courtship is a complete sham. And now she has to do the impossible and keep herself from losing her heart and soul completely to the handsome hell-raiser who has sworn off marriage forever!… (more)
    The Duke by Gaelen Foley (faither)
    faither: This is the first in a similar series about a large family looking for spouses in Regency England. Both series are quite entertaining.

English (122)  German (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (125)
The first part in the story of the Bridgerton siblings: Daphne and the Duke of Hastings. A fun read - I read it after watching season 1 on Netflix. Made more fun by group chats with work friends who are also reading! ( )
  Amzzz | Sep 22, 2021 |
3,5 wegen der viel diskutierten und sehr unschönen Szene. ( )
  BarbsLory | Sep 3, 2021 |
Book one in the Bridgertons series. First, I’ll note that I have not seen any of the TV miniseries episodes, so had little idea of why it (and the Bridgerton family) is so popular. Now I do.

This was everything a regency romance should be. There is a young marriageable lady in need of a husband, an aloof, dashingly handsome but rakish duke, and enough sexual tension and plot twists to keep things interesting and the pages turning.

Daphne Bridgerton is the fourth child and eldest daughter of Lady Violet and the late Lord Edmund Bridgerton. She’s attractive and accomplished but doesn’t seem to attract the attention of eligible bachelors. Oh, they like her well enough, she’s friends will almost everyone, but no one seems to be falling in love with her. Could it be that her three older brothers are scaring them off? Enter Simon Basset, Duke of Hastings, a confirmed bachelor recently returned to England from several years abroad. He’s determined to shun marriage and society in general, until he meets up with his best friend, Anthony Bridgerton and his charming sister, Daphne. Before they’ve shared even two dances, Daphne and Simon have agreed to fake an attachment so that they can each avoid the majority of the season’s requirements. But their plan doesn’t quite work out the way they intended.

I was charmed by both of them, though I thought some of Simon’s backstory was pretty melodramatic. Still, it served the purpose and I enjoyed watching the two of them work through the obstacles to achieve their happily ever after. I may actually watch the TV adaptation now. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jul 28, 2021 |
I decided to read this as a buddy read with my group For Love of a Book. I didn't know it was a Netflix series till after I agreed to read it. I don't watch much tv at all. Now that I've read it, not only do I plan to finish the series but afterward I'll probably watch the tv series as well. I generally like historical romances and this did not disappoint. I'll admit that I'm still not sure why this series was chosen to be a series above other series of its genre that I liked more, but it was still good.

The only thing is that it lost a star because of that one scene. The one where Daphne raped her husband. Now I want to be clear, it wasn't that she had sex with him while he was half asleep or because he was drunk. Though I do believe that a couple she discuss this beforehand when everyone is awake and sober and be sure your partners ok with it before attempting either. But what was rape was forcing him to finish inside her. She CLUNG to him and in the story admits that she made it impossible to pull out. This is NOT ok. If a man finishes inside a woman against her wishes it is rape. So guess what? It's the same the other way around. Outside of that very disturbing scene and the fact that they just gloss over it to make everything right again, I actually did enjoy the book. But it lost a star for the scene and no, I don't think it's too harsh. I was tempted to take away 2 stars so I'm being generous. ( )
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
Simon Basset is a very eligible Duke with the reputation of a rascal and no desire ever to marry. Daphne Bridgerton is a sweet, smart woman of marriageable age, but who isn't interested in any of the offers she's had so far. They strike up an unlikely friendship and agree to an arrangement: they'll pretend to be engaged to keep all other interested parties from pestering them. But, of course, things don't go as planned and they fall in love with each other but he's also so very haunted by his past and this causes Issues, and ooof, things are FRAUGHT. But not overly so and everything turns out alright in the end, of course.

A great read; you know pretty much exactly what's going to happen and it doesn't matter a bit because the characters are great fun and you *want* the expected to happen for them. Absolutely enjoyable and I'll continue with the series. ( )
  electrascaife | Jul 5, 2021 |

Quinn, Juliaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Desthuilliers, CécileTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neild, RobynCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shabani, Susannesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Terés Loriente, MireiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Danelle Harmon and Sabrina Jeffries, without whom I never would have turned in this book on time.
And for Martha of The Romance Journal electronic bulletin board, for suggesting I call it Daphne's Bad Heir Day.
And also for Paul, even though his idea of dancing is standing still while he holds my hand and watches me twirl.
The birth of Simon Arthur Henry Fitzranulph Bassett, Earl Clyvedon, was met with great celebration.

By all acounts, Simon Basset is one the verge of proposing to his best friend's sister, the lovely—and almost-on-the-shelf—Daphne Bridgerton. But the two of them know the truth—it's all an elaborate plan to keep Simon free from marriage-minded society mothers. And as for Daphne, surely she will attract some worthy sutiors now that it seems a duke has declared her desirable.

But as Daphne waltzes across ballroom after ballroom with Simon, it's hard to remember that their courtship is a complete sham. Maybe it's his devilish smile, certainly it's the way his eyes seem to burn every time he looks at her... but somehow Daphne is falling for the dashing duke... for real! And now she must do the impossible and convince the handsome rogue that their clever little scheme deserves a slight alteration, and that nothing makes quite as much sense as falling in love...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,308,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible