The Duke and I

by Julia Quinn

Series: Bridgertons (1)

Simon Basset, the irresistible Duke of Hastings, has hatched a plan to keep himself free from the town's marriage-minded society mothers. He pretends to be engaged to the lovely Daphne Bridgerton. After all, it isn't as if the brooding rogue has any real plans to marry--though there is something about the alluring Miss Bridgerton that sets Simon's heart beating a bit faster. And as for Daphne, surely the clever debutante will attract some very worthy suitors now that is seems a duke has declared her desirable. But as Daphne waltzes across ballroom after ballroom with Simon, she soon forgets that their courtship is a complete sham. And now she has to do the impossible and keep herself from losing her heart and soul completely to the handsome hell-raiser who has sworn off marriage forever!… (more)
    The Duke by Gaelen Foley (faither)
    faither: This is the first in a similar series about a large family looking for spouses in Regency England. Both series are quite entertaining.

English (145)  German (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (148)

Julia Quinn - The Duke and I: Even though I didn’t love the first TV season it’s still preferable to this all-white cast of characters. (And even more true for season two.) #cursorybookreviews #cursoryreviews ( )
  khage | Dec 2, 2022 |
This was my first Julia Quinn book - and I will be hunting up all the others I can find! This book was charming, witty and tender, all at the same time. The relationship between Simon and Daphne was given proper time to build, and neither character was perfect - both displaying quite obvious faults - Simon for brooding and not allowing himself to forget the past, Daphne for fairly obvious selfishness in the scene were she takes advantage of Simon's drunkeness (although not of him, exactly). Another charming part of this book are the presence of Daphne's brothers and sisters - all seven of them - who all have their own books later, but are all developing individual characteristics already. I wish that she had given a little more time to Simon coming around at the end, but that's really the only problem I have with this book. Can't wait to read the rest! ( )
  Anniik | Nov 26, 2022 |
Finished re-read in anticipation of the show ( )
  NickyM96 | Nov 21, 2022 |
This is not my usual genre. I lean towards historical (fiction and nonfiction) and heartbreaking reality (the Holocaust, being one). The Duke and I was a much needed relief to my soul. It is sweet, witty and at times lovely. I will be moving on to Book #2 as soon as it is returned to the library. ( )
  AnnEly | Nov 19, 2022 |
In the ballrooms and drawing rooms of Regency London, rules abound. From their earliest days, children of aristocrats learn how to address an earl and curtsey before a prince—while other dictates of the ton are unspoken yet universally understood. A proper duke should be imperious and aloof. A young, marriageable lady should be amiable… but not too amiable.

Daphne Bridgerton has always failed at the latter. The fourth of eight siblings in her close-knit family, she has formed friendships with the most eligible young men in London. Everyone likes Daphne for her kindness and wit. But no one truly desires her. She is simply too deuced honest for that, too unwilling to play the romantic games that captivate gentlemen.

Amiability is not a characteristic shared by Simon Basset, Duke of Hastings. Recently returned to England from abroad, he intends to shun both marriage and society—just as his callous father shunned Simon throughout his painful childhood. Yet an encounter with his best friend’s sister offers another option. If Daphne agrees to a fake courtship, Simon can deter the mamas who parade their daughters before him. Daphne, meanwhile, will see her prospects and her reputation soar.

The plan works like a charm—at first. But amid the glittering, gossipy, cut-throat world of London’s elite, there is only one certainty: love ignores every rule...
  rachelprice14 | Nov 6, 2022 |

Quinn, Juliaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Desthuilliers, CécileTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neild, RobynCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shabani, Susannesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Terés Loriente, MireiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Danelle Harmon and Sabrina Jeffries, without whom I never would have turned in this book on time.
And for Martha of The Romance Journal electronic bulletin board, for suggesting I call it Daphne's Bad Heir Day.
And also for Paul, even though his idea of dancing is standing still while he holds my hand and watches me twirl.
The birth of Simon Arthur Henry Fitzranulph Bassett, Earl Clyvedon, was met with great celebration.

By all acounts, Simon Basset is one the verge of proposing to his best friend's sister, the lovely—and almost-on-the-shelf—Daphne Bridgerton. But the two of them know the truth—it's all an elaborate plan to keep Simon free from marriage-minded society mothers. And as for Daphne, surely she will attract some worthy sutiors now that it seems a duke has declared her desirable.

But as Daphne waltzes across ballroom after ballroom with Simon, it's hard to remember that their courtship is a complete sham. Maybe it's his devilish smile, certainly it's the way his eyes seem to burn every time he looks at her... but somehow Daphne is falling for the dashing duke... for real! And now she must do the impossible and convince the handsome rogue that their clever little scheme deserves a slight alteration, and that nothing makes quite as much sense as falling in love...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,225,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible