The Battle for Castle Cockatrice, or The…

The Battle for Castle Cockatrice, or The Talking Parcel (1974)

by Gerald Durrell

Started to read this a few weeks ago, but found the language a little too precious. ( )
  ritaer | Oct 3, 2017 |
Imo, not worth the hype that made me scare up a copy. A little bit of cleverness, a fair bit of adventure, but almost no character development or heart. And the way the females had to fight to be allowed to do anything - for shame! ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This is a truly FANTASTIC book, and my all-time favourite children's story. I got it out from the library so many times when I was little that when the library sold their old books my mum had to buy it for me even though I was much older. I will never outgrow the story!
It is a wonderful, magical fantasy for children but includes humour that adults can also appreciate. Amazing, funny characters all with a vast range of personalities, and Gerald Durrell's usual beautifully descriptive style. Everyone, young and old alike, should read it. ( )
  MissMarch | Jan 6, 2011 |
Harry Potter can kiss my arse. This is the book I read every year for 7 or 8 years growing up. After a slowish first chapter it takes you to a childhood fantasy dream land. Moon calves with taps that pour our jelly you can think into shapes, an exciting battle at the end. Awesome. ( )
1 vote madcurrin | Jan 10, 2008 |

Gerald Durrellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Griesbach, CherylCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martucci, StanleyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Talking Parcel was republished as The Battle for Castle Cockatrice.

Three children befriend an unusual parrot and spider and travel with them to Mythologia, the magical land of mythical animals, to try and save it from being taken over by the evil Cockatrices.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,693,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible