Later

by Stephen King

Series: Stephen King Hard Case Series

The son of a struggling single mother, Jamie Conklin just wants an ordinary childhood. But Jamie is no ordinary child. Born with an unnatural ability his mom urges him to keep secret, Jamie can see what no one else can see and learn what no one else can learn. But the cost of using this ability is higher than Jamie can imagine, as he discovers when an NYPD detective draws him into the pursuit of a killer who has threatened to strike from beyond the grave.… (more)

English (70)  French (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (76)
Easily the best of his Hard Case Crime novels. Good story and characters. But, as can be w a SK novel, it was burdened with conversational and reader directed fluff. Peal that off and make it a thinner novel and it could have been a 4. Except for the silly incestuous inclusion at the end. ( )
  JBreedlove | Jul 23, 2024 |
a malapena l'inizio di un libro ( )
  LLonaVahine | May 22, 2024 |
SK never misses. Quick little read about a boy who can see dead people, set in modern NYC. Thrilling, but not scary. ( )
  womanhollering | May 21, 2024 |
Das hat mir sehr gut gefallen. Und es ist - wie so viele King-Bücher - meiner Ansicht nach kein Horrorroman, auch wenn Jamie uns da etwas anderes erzählt. ( )
  Katzenkindliest | Apr 23, 2024 |
I generally start my SK books with a disclaimer: I don't like horror books (they scare me - duh). Later, however, written for a more delicate reader, me, was a lot of fun.

The protagonist is a young boy, Jamie, who lives with his single, struggling to make ends meet mom. Jamie, it turns out, not only sees dead people but can speak with them. Come to find out, at least in Later, the dead cannot tell a lie.

Later takes us through a few deaths, a couple are gruesome, but not in an I'm going to be scarred for life kind of way. SK tells the story superbly, through the eyes of young Jamie, his thoughts, his feelings, his childish ways - I could literally see and hear my own children when they were this age.

There is a zinger at the end that I think I may literally have said, "No way!" when I read it, but it in no way is what the book is about - don't read it waiting for this zinger, you will be disappointed.

Reading this lighter Stephen King novel allowed me to experience Mr. King's incredible style of writing in a way that doesn't leave me sleeping with the lights on; a win for me. ( )
  LyndaWolters1 | Apr 3, 2024 |
These are the type of stories I love to read. I hope I can see your work in NovelStar. There are also a lot of talented writers in that platform. You may check their group on Facebook.
added by MarshaMellow | editLibraryThing.com, Marsha Mellow

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

There are only so many tomorrows. - Michael Landon
For Chris Lotts
I don't like to start with an apology -- there's probably even a rule against it, like never ending a sentence with a preposition -- but after reading over the thirty pages I've written so far, I feel like I have to.
Il n'y a rien de mieux que la présence d'une mère quand on a des trucs flippants dans la tête.
La vengeance n'a jamais payé les factures ni rempli le frigo.
Quand on a six ans et que c'est maman qui demande, on dirait oui à n'importe quoi. Sauf si elle nous commande d'aller au lit, naturellement. Ou de terminer notre assiette de brocolis.
J'ai découvert après que pas mal d'auteurs mouraient à leur table de travail. Une profession à risque, on dirait.
Une des pires choses quand on est gamin - peut-être même la pire de toutes - c'est la façon qu'ont les adultes de vous ignorer quand ils se noient dans leurs conneries.
First edition includes preview of Joyland by Stephen King.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,778,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible