Later

by Stephen King

English (33)  German (2)  All languages (35)
Not anything like his earlier works, but thankfully shorter. ( )
  yamanoor | Sep 16, 2021 |
Stephen King's "Later" is not his best work, but it was a quick read that didn't have me counting how many pages are left. ( )
  therestlessmouse | Sep 15, 2021 |
I’m a long-time Stephen King fan and have read nearly everything he’s written. When I heard the details of this novel, it immediately reminded me of “Joyland.” This is another hard crime novel by King and also published by Titan under the ‘Hard Case Crime’ imprint. Well, I loved “Joyland” and so my expectations went high on this one. For me, if you considered “Joyland” a home run, like I did, “Later” is a triple, which slid in just under the tag (baseball’s opening day was yesterday).

I really enjoyed the book, and once again King shows his storytelling skills. This book flows along and is an easy, fast read. With less than ten key characters and largely following a single plot line, it’s one of King’s more straightforward tales. I liked the good guys, but the story didn’t quite have the level of peril that I felt in other King books. The supernatural aspect also isn’t as unique or creative as King can be, although it’s certainly creepy and I enjoyed learning the subtleties of the main character’s abilities. First person works well in these kind of crime novels and puts you right into the mind of the main character. I did enjoy how the book allows our MC to step out of the story at times, which explains the title and provides some interesting thoughts at the end.

However, as I read the tale, I couldn’t help but think it was missing something. Somehow, despite spending an entire novel with our main character, Jamie Conklin, I never felt like I knew him. Sure, he loved him mom dearly, his supernatural ability made him pay a price, he played tennis, and had a few girlfriends, but despite following him from Kindergarten to high school he still felt a little generic. Yes, we get to see much of his thinking, and it feels realistic, but for me, it’s missing that King magic of revealing the quirky and intriguing personal traits that many of King’s most famous characters have, especially with first person narration. In addition, there isn’t quite enough of the crime mystery in this one, although there are a few solid twists. It fits in the genre with cops and murders and such, but I was looking forward to an intriguing crime mystery laden with clues.

A well-told story, that leverages King’s talent to intertwine the supernatural with a hard crime plot that entertains and satisfies but fails to live up to some of King’s best work in the space (such as Mr. Mercedes and Joyland). Just barely Four Stars from this devoted King fan. ( )
  Kevin_A_Kuhn | Aug 23, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this book! I bought the special edition hardcover edition but wasn’t sure when I would have the time to sit down and read the book so I decided to grab a copy of the audiobook from my local library and go that route and I think that might have been a good choice for this story. This was a relatively short read, especially for something written by King, but I thought that it told a really big story.

Jamie is a special little boy. This story opens with him at a very young age illustrating his unique ability. You see, Jamie can see dead people. He sees them just as they were at their time of death but their voices grow quieter as time passes. This isn’t something that his mother wants to talk about or admit is actually happening, until she needs Jamie to use his skill to help her out of a bind.

This story was incredibly entertaining. It may not have been the most original premise (Yes, I have watched that Bruce Willis movie) but I thought that it had enough of a unique twist to keep it fresh. I liked that the story kept me guessing with plenty of twists that kept me listening just a bit longer. I thought that Jamie was a great character and appreciated his point of view throughout the story. My only complaint would be the ending of the story. To me, it kind of came out of left field and just didn’t really fit with the rest of the story.

This was the first time that I have had the opportunity to listen to Seth Numrich’s narration and I must say that I was impressed. He did a fantastic job of bringing this story to life and captured Jamie’s character perfectly. I think that he added a lot of excitement to the story and I believe that his narration added to my overall enjoyment.

I would recommend this book to others. It was a fun shorter listen that I found to be rather hard to put down. I definitely plan to read more of Stephen King’s work in the future. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Jul 30, 2021 |
Later (2021) by Stephen King. This is a good book, but not a great one. The hero, who starts as a boy and later writes this story as a young man, SEES DEAD PEOPLE! King does doff his hat to the movie that had the same basic theme, but he has taken it in a different direction. Here the youth, Jamie Conklin, only sees them for a few days after they die. At that point the dead sort of fade into nothingness.
But while they are around, he can talk to them and, more specifically, ask them questions. This is an important detail in the plot. When asked, the dead, who appear not to care too much about earthly things, will tell him the truth.
Jamie’s mother is a single woman and Jamie does not know who his father is. Mom runs a small company as a literary agent. Small as in it is just her. But she is devoted to her son but is not too friendly with his special ability. Mom’s “friend” Liz is a NYPD detective and the couple have a wonderful relationship that, over the course of the book, falls apart.
Part of the problem are the drugs that Liz transports. The other is Liz’s decision that Jamie can actually see and talk with the dead. That might come in handy as she works homicide.
Then the serial bomber “Thumper” suicided, but he left a note promising one last major bombing, so Liz turns to Jamie.
But the dead “Thumper” is something Jaimie has not encountered before. Not only is the ghost unwilling to answer questions, he won’t go away.
A good premise but there are a few tropes here that have been gnawed on by King many times over. King is better when working with several school-aged heroes. And in this outing he leaves no doubt that Jamie will survive whatever is thrown his way. I found this to dissipate the growing tension and struck down the scare factor.
But in all, it is a King novel, which means it is a better read than most other books you’ll find on the shelves. ( )
  TomDonaghey | Jul 23, 2021 |
These are the type of stories I love to read. I hope I can see your work in NovelStar. There are also a lot of talented writers in that platform. You may check their group on Facebook.
added by MarshaMellow | editLibraryThing.com, Marsha Mellow

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mann, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

There are only so many tomorrows. - Michael Landon
For Chris Lotts
I don't like to start with an apology -- there's probably even a rule against it, like never ending a sentence with a preposition -- but after reading over the thirty pages I've written so far, I feel like I have to.
First edition includes preview of Joyland by Stephen King.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,221,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible