SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

High Score! The Illustrated History of Electronic Games

by Rusel Demaria, Johnny L. Wilson (Author)

The Ultimate History of Electronic Games "This is a great work that shows the humanity, creativity, and passion inside the art and business of games. The public is playing a lot of games today, and Rusel's and Johnny's fine book gives them a terrific look behind the scenes." --Trip Hawkins, founder of Electronic Arts and 3DO "As an industry veteran, I am excited to see that Rusel and Johnny have poured their hard work and talent into creating this visual and textual compendium of the history of computer entertainment. Just as I was, I think you will be amazed to see how far we've come in so few years. The pictorial content of this book represents a glimpse at great milestones of our recent past that are quickly going to be impossible to see, perhaps ever again, outside this volume." --Richard Garriott, computer gaming pioneer, developer of the Ultima series of games, and founder of Origin SystemsThis lavishly illustrated full-color retrospective takes you on a guided tour of the evolution of electronic games from blips on a tiny screen in a computer science lab to the multi-billion-dollar industry it has become today. Hundreds of images of arcades, consoles, and PC games span more than 30 years of game history from the beginning to the present day. Meet the people who changed the world of entertainment and hear the tales of their amazing successes and spectacular failures--including many stories that have never been told in print before.Rusel DeMaria has been a participant and observer in the electronic gaming industry since its inception. He has written nearly 60 strategy guides and is acknowledged as one of the pioneers of that book genre. DeMaria has been a senioreditor and columnist for several national magazines, a speaker at the prestigious Computer Game Developer's Conference as well as other industry events.Johnny L. Wilson has been group publisher for Wizards of the Coast periodica… (more)

I enjoyed reading this book; it was like a trip through memory lane. The authors start with the pre-Pong days and go all the way up to modern consoles and online games. It took me almost a week to get through it; each page of this full-color book is crammed with articles on various products and quotes from industry insiders. I read about a lot of things from childhood that I had all but forgotten. Definitely a good read if you're interested in knowing the roots of modern electronic gaming. ( )
  irishkitsune | Feb 1, 2008 |
If you like videogames, buy this book. Period.
It's a full-color romp through the history of gaming from 'Space War' to 'Lara Croft'.
DeMaria doesn't just dwell on the games, however; he also profiles the people and companies who made them. This is a comprehensive, scholary, but very, very fun history of a modern obsession.
And it was great to see pictures not only of games that were my old favorites, but many of the people I knew in the game publishing industry from my computer magazine days. ( )
  airship | Jul 7, 2006 |

Rusel Demariaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wilson, Johnny L.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,364,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible