Something Queer at the Library (1977)

by Elizabeth Levy

Other authors: Mordicai Gerstein (Illustrator)

Series: Something Queer... (3)

1393153,643 (4)2
Gwen and Jill's discovery of some mutilated library books strangely links up with a dog show in which they have entered their dog.
1980s (296)

This is one of those books that makes me really want to rethink my rating every book I come across on Booklikes without rereading it first.

I'm still going to do it, understand, but I underrated this so bad. I just forgot how endearing and clever and weird it was. Though there is surprisingly little action at the library.

The case involves some mutilated library reference books (the horror!) so Jill and Gwen must track down the "creep" to avoid the librarian thinking it was them that did it and prepare Fletcher for a dog show at the same time.

Mordicai Gerstein's illustrations are wonderful, full of little signs and arrows pointing out the action ("Gwen tapping on those braces" TAP TAP TAP TAP) and things happening on the sidelines, people's names and expansions of jokes (like a snapshot of a lopsided Lhasa Apso).

Lots of fun.

Something Queer

Next: 'Something Queer on Vacation'

Previous: 'Something Queer at the Ball Park' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
It's a pity that these children's mysteries had to be titled as they are, severely limiting their likelyhood of rerelease, because they're absolutely wonderful. Hilarious and crazy, and in my mind, far better than your Cam Jansen or your Nancy Drew.
  trinityofone | Oct 25, 2006 |

Levy, Elizabethprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gerstein, MordicaiIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

"The All-State Dog Show is next week," Jill explained to Mr. Hobart, the librarian.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,629,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible