HomeGroupsTalkExplore

A Patchwork Planet (1998)

by Anne Tyler

In this, her fourteenth novel--and one of her most endearing--Anne Tyler tells the story of a lovable loser who's trying to get his life in order. Barnaby Gaitlin has been in trouble ever since adolescence. He had this habit of breaking into other people's houses. It wasn't the big loot he was after, like his teenage cohorts. It was just that he liked to read other people's mail, pore over their family photo albums, and appropriate a few of their precious mementos. But for eleven years now, he's been working steadily for Rent-a-Back, renting his back to old folks and shut-ins who can't move their own porch furniture or bring the Christmas tree down from the attic. At last, his life seems to be on an even keel. Still, the Gaitlins (of "old" Baltimore) cannot forget the price they paid for buying off Barnaby's former victims. And his ex-wife would just as soon he didn't show up ever to visit their little girl, Opal. Even the nice, steady woman (his guardian angel?) who seems to have designs on him doesn't fully trust him, it develops, when the chips are down, and it looks as though his world may fall apart again. There is no one like Anne Tyler, with her sharp, funny, tender perceptions about how human beings navigate on a puzzling planet, and she keeps us enthralled from start to finish in this delicious new novel.… (more)

Good read for an afternoon. I like how she addresses the challenges of aging that humans encounter. ( )
  JRobinW | Jan 20, 2023 |
Something about this story just clicked with me. I must admit the ending to me seemed to just wander off, but not in a bad way. ( )
  talon2claw | Dec 30, 2022 |
OK novel. Quirky family dynamics. Read part of it years ago. ( )
  kslade | Dec 8, 2022 |
A Slice of life or maybe a story about nothing.

A Slice of life or maybe a story about nothing. But you will enjoy this easy read that finds you relating to characters and their thoughts about life and each other. I read this during the holidays, and I enjoyed how the book's timeline happened to parallel with my reality. If you read this you will find that the characters reveal what is most important to them in life, and ultimately who they really are. I have discovered that Anne Tyler writes a comfortable read. ( )
  WiserWisegirl | Dec 2, 2022 |
A Slice of life or maybe a story about nothing.

WiserWisegirl | Dec 2, 2022 |
Anne Tyler, die 1988 für den Roman "Atemübungen" den Pulitzer-Preis erhielt, beschreibt auch in "Engel gesucht" die kleinen ironischen Wechselfälle des Lebens mit unaufdringlicher Präzision. Den schnoddrigen Ton des jungen Barnaby trifft sie ebenso wie das umständliche oder zögerliche Reden seiner "Nachrichtenkorrespondenten aus dem Land des Alters". Manchmal erscheint die Erzählweise fast zu zurückhaltend, zu still. Doch - vielleicht - macht gerade das den Reiz des Buches aus.

Anne Tylerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mossel, BabetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of my husband, Taghi Modarressi
I am a man you can trust, is how my customers view me.
Back in Baltimore’s golden age, when the streetcars were still running and downtown was still the place to go and we had four top-notch department stores all on the same one block: Hutzler’s, Hochschild’s, Stewart’s, and Hecht’s... (Rent-A-Back client)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 183,263,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible