Exodus (2002)

by Julie Bertagna

Series: Exodus Trilogy (book 1)

5212336,726 (3.75)1 / 18
In the year 2100, as the island of Wing is about to be covered by water, fifteen-year-old Mara discovers the existence of New World sky cities that are safe from the storms and rising waters, and convinces her people to travel to one of these cities in order to save themselves.
    Fearless by Tim Lott (Anonymous user)

lkmuir | Dec 11, 2015 |
3.5 stars. I got bored in a few places, but overall it was pretty good. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
The images in this book are very vivid and greatly worded. The story is also easy to follow, I'd definitely recommend this to my friends. The cover art is okay and I'd recommend this to middle school and high school students. I chose to read this book because I liked the there of a flooded world. SpencerD
  edspicer | Jul 23, 2014 |
I'm torn between 2 and 3 stars for this book. I did like it but there were some major flaws that hindered my enjoyment of the book.

The premise is an interesting one - what if the entire earth were flooded because the polar ice caps melted? The story is an interesting one and the plot moves along pretty nicely.

There were quite a few things I did not like, however. The dialogue was pretty horrible. Lots of gasping and whining and such. Some pretty cheesy exchanges. Also, within the plot there were a lot of unbelievable coincidences. The protagonist whines about how difficult things are and how she doesn't know how she will proceed. Then, voila! Something happens that makes everything ok. There are also a few references made to the fact that there are no women in charge and no women "dreamers." These references to women's rights really felt out of place. That facet of the story was never fleshed out so these mentions seem distracting rather than a real piece of the plot. They were unnecessary. If this was something that the author really wanted to explore she should have made it a larger part of the plot.

Overall, this book was ok. I liked it and really enjoyed parts of it but cannot rate it higher because of the issues stated above. I think most adults reading this would agree with me. However, tweens and young teens may rate this much higher. ( )
  CherieReads | Sep 23, 2013 |
Although global warming is the topic of this book, Exodus is not a message novel. It's just an amazing story that will keep you enthralled and touch your heart. It's a story of the power of individuals to change the world.

There's so much that I loved about this book; I can't say enough good things about it. Read my entire review to see some of them. ( )
  SheilaRuth | Aug 23, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

No coward soul is mine.
No trembler in the world's storm-troubled sphere.
- Emily Bronte
Earth spins. And Wing, the high island, is hurled into the sunless shadow of night.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,239,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible