Capote: A Biography by Gerald Clarke

Capote: A Biography

by Gerald Clarke

Based on hundreds of hours of interviews with the author, as well as with nearly everyone who knew him, this biography follows Capote from his eccentric childhood in Alabama to the heights of New York society. It also candidly recounts a gifted and celebrated writer's descent into the life of alcohol and drugs that would ultimately consume his bulldog spirit and staggering talent--but not before he'd hobnob with the likes of Grace Paley and Lee Radziwill, feud outrageously with Gore Vidal and Jacqueline Susann, and stage at New York's Plaza Hotel the sensational Black and White Ball.--From publisher description.… (more)

English (11)  Dutch (1)  All languages (12)
I was not expecting to enjoy this nearly as much as I did, a really fantastic engaging account of Capote's life. ( )
  CatherineJay | Dec 30, 2015 |
GREAT CONDITION! ( )
  leslie440 | Jan 5, 2012 |
a first rate biography of truman capote. a very talented but flawed and tragic man. he was a greek tragic person excellent story ( )
  michaelbartley | Oct 21, 2011 |
Well written and documented biography of Truman Capote.

Incandescent rise and dark and depressing fall.

Good read. ( )
  jmatson | Aug 26, 2011 |
I found "Capote" to be quite a good read. It was interesting and very different for me. It was rather fascinating to find that Clarke had not written a novel before. He was a journalist which I am certain aided him greatly in his research of this book.
Capote was a very colorful and unique individual with gifts and talents way beyond his use of them. I think he very much let "the plastic life" get in the way of his work. He definitely knew how to get what he wanted from people and he worked very hard to that end. He also had a wonderful work ethic when he was working on a project. I think he was a huge talent and that he just wasted so much of what he had to offer the literary world.
I also think Capote was a scalawag. He allowed no slight to pass by. He had to do "payback" even if it attributed to his self-destruction.
I found the first 3/4 of the book wonderful reading. The last quarter of the book I guess I could have done without because I am old enough to remember his downfall and to remember watching it and reading about it.
Truman Capote was however, a truly one of a kind personality and I am glad that I read the book. ( )
5 vote rainpebble | Jun 18, 2009 |

Has the adaptation

"There's the one and only T.C. There was nobody like me before, and there ain't gonna be anybody like me after I'm gone." - Truman Capote, in conversation, June 1984
"And I only wrote half of what I saw . . ." - A quotation from Marco Polo, torn from a magazine and found in the papers of Truman Capote
To L.A.S. for faith and fortitude
In those days people moved more slowly down there, and Arch, who did just the opposite, might almost have been taken for a Yankee.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,822,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible