Tales from Firozsha Baag by Rohinton Mistry

Tales from Firozsha Baag

by Rohinton Mistry

English (9)  Italian (1)  All languages (10)
Mooi gecomponeerde verhalen over de bewoners van een flat in Bombay. De eerste twee verhalen lijken nog wat vlak maar naarmate je verder kennismaakt met de inwoners worden de verhalen steeds beter. The Collectors is een juweeltje, Exercisers een complex verhaal over de ontluikende seksualiteit van een jongen uit de flat. Een belangrijk thema is dat van de emigratie (naar Amerika en Canada) en de vervreemding in het nieuwe land maar vooral ook (bij terugkeer) van het moederland die dat met zich meebrengt. Andere thema's zijn armoede, geloof (de meeste bewoners zijn Parsi), standsverschillen, seksualiteit, ouderdom: allemaal prachtig, onnadrukkelijk verweven in dit mooie mozaïek. ( )
  stef7sa | Jan 5, 2017 |
Short stories of Bombay by ex-resident now living in Toronto. This guy can write!
Read in Samoa Sept 2002 ( )
  mbmackay | Nov 26, 2015 |
Laying out in clinical detail some of the rigidities in this society and their impact on individuals, the style is very objective. The last story came as a slight surprise and managed to bring the collection together much more. I was left admiring this book, but not warming to it. 7 August 2015. ( )
  alanca | Aug 7, 2015 |
Brilliantly observed. Mistry's books aren't just a lesson in character study. Way to capture the essence of an entire race! ( )
  maximnoronha | Apr 18, 2015 |
It is said that when the British left India, they gifted their mannerism to the Parsis. I do not know the authenticity of such whimsical statements, although I have never seen any community with such great degree of clear-cut decorum. Parsi is a Persian Zoroastrian ethnic community; a minority in the Indian sub-continent. In a religion conscious environment Parsis are the most –mild-mannered and according to my adolescent psyche aromatic individuals. As a child my pleasant memories of experiencing Parsi culture were those pleasant Sundays spent with an elderly neighbor. Dhun Aunty, as we would address her, would serve our hungry mouths with the most delectable savory dishes of meat and eggs. The spicy curries and rice with caramelized onions were devoured amid the lingering aroma of sandalwood and eau de cologne. Bowls of warm bread pudding with afternoon tea while laughing your guts outs to the antics of Laurel and Hardy would see an end to a wonderful soiree. It is where I learned to differentiate between Mozart’s Symphony. 40 and ‘The Blue Danube’ (although I’m still a novice to ‘C’ major or ‘G Minor identification) and browsed Wren & Martin before it became mandatory in school. Things have drastically changed now with increase in western urbanization and vast immigration to foreign lands, yet the authenticity of the culture can be experienced in certain residential colonies strictly built for the respected community.

Firoza Baag is one such residential colony adorned by a three apartment buildings and filled with the quirkiest and amusing occupants one can come across. The 11 short stories brim with incidents that flatter the humdrum lives of its occupants or events taking place at a lazy hour that either might be life-changing or may just fade away into a speck of wistfulness. The stories trickle from hilarity to seriousness of bigotry and communalism that become a major part of a sub-culture. Subtle racism, cultural labeling and the insecurities prevailing over other influential communities can be seen throughout the book. This is quite a norm here in India where preference for “fair” skin tones and understated prejudices seep into daily life. The multifarious patterns of Bombay and its people through the lives of one community are comparable to listening to ‘Moonlight Sonata’ at a crowded train station. The concluding story “Swimming Lessons” sums up the entirety of this book as it juxtaposes facts and fictions and illuminates the brilliance of a writer called Rohinton Mistry.

Words fail me when it comes to Mistry’s scintillating mosaic of inconsequential lives that seem to get lost in the crowd. He captures the nitty-gritty of one of the strictest religious community in Bombay through an array of lucid emotions and gentle compassion. Through his books I breathe the sweet air of my nostalgia and observe the frowning faces of strangers wondering the tale behind the wrinkle of their middling life. Rohinton Mistry, which is why I love your words so very much.

Praj05 | Apr 5, 2013 |
With a bellow Rustomji emerged from the WC.
Collection of 11 short stories, published in 1987 as Tales from Firozsha Baag. It was later published in the United States as Swimming Lessons and Other Stories from Firozsha Baag.

In these eleven intersecting stories, Rohinton Mistry opens our eyes and our hearts to the rich, complex patterns of life inside this Bombay apartment building. The occupants - from Jaakaylee, the ghost-seer, through Najamai, the only owner of a refrigerator in Firozsha Baag, to Rustomji the Curmudgeon and Kersi, the young boy whose life threads through the book - all express the tensions between the past and the present, between the old world and the new.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:31 -0400)

Explores the crowded, throbbing life of India in a collection of stories set in Firozsha Baag, a Bombay apartment building characterized by an unexpected sense of community.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,535,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible