The Light That Failed by Rudyard Kipling

The Light That Failed (1890)

by Rudyard Kipling

Dick Heldar is a war correspondent and an artist, well known for the drawings he sends home to the London papers from wars in exotic places like Sudan. When he returns to London, he attempts to make a career for himself as a serious artist and re-encounters his childhood sweetheart, Maisie. Then he learns that a minor problem with his eyes is actually the onset of an incurable blindness, the result of a head injury during the war. As his vision fails, the light of everything around him--his life, hopes, and dreams--fails with it. Terrible choices must be made between the love of a woman and the love of the men who stood by him at the front.… (more)

English (7)  French (1)  All languages (8)
There were aspects of this novel which will no doubt linger, such a work so preoccupied with light and color. I felt the characters genuine albeit incomplete. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
Available as a free audiobook from https://librivox.org/ ( )
  captbirdseye | Feb 19, 2014 |

I had been looking forward to reaching this for some time, under the impression that it was an interesting step away from Kipling's usual writing. Not sure if that is really true - it was his first novel, so not sure if it can really be characterised as a step away. And it is interesting only in places; the hero's failure to get anywhere with the girl he loves is apparently painfully autobiographical, and the casual brutality is not very pleasant to read. However, I was really grabbed by Kipling's sympathetic portrayal of his hero as an artist, not a protagonist I had expected from this author (which shows how little I knew), and of course the central drama of his going blind is then very effective. (I guess that Florence Barclay's The Rosary may have been in part a response to The Light That Failed; well, Kipling's version is actually better and mercifully shorter.)

The other point of interest for me (and a few other people) is that quite a lot of the novel revolves around British attitudes to Sudan, and the final chapter is set there (indeed the references are specifically to "Southern Sudan", though a glance at the map indicates that they did not actually get very far south). It's interesting to read about a place which I know for quite different reasons through the rather shortsighted and blurred imperialist lens. ( )
  nwhyte | Nov 30, 2012 |
A novel by Rudyard Kipling published in 1890. The book, which includes autobiographical elements, describes the youth and manhood of Dick Heldar and traces his efforts as a war correspondent and artist whose sketches of British battles in the Sudan become popular. When he returns to London, he begins painting his masterpiece, racing against time because a battle wound has caused his eyesight to progressively fail. Kipling wrote two separate endings to The Light That Failed, a happy ending for the version published in Lippincott’s Monthly Magazine in January 1890 and an unhappy ending for the version published in book form a few months later. – The Merriam-Webster Encyclopedia of Literature.
  Muhammed_AlAhari | Sep 11, 2012 |
Far from my favorite Kipling, but I got a chance at a free copy ( )
  antiquary | Mar 14, 2012 |

Rudyard Kiplingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lyon, John M.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Legacy Library: Rudyard Kipling

Rudyard Kipling has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rudyard Kipling's legacy profile.

See Rudyard Kipling's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,563,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible