Detection Unlimited by Georgette Heyer

Detection Unlimited (1961)

by Georgette Heyer

Recently added byjekindell, NinieB, boanderey, jgodby, Karin.Howe, Dentelle, private library, Phiala, wolfsla2, MysAnita

An unpopular lawyer is murdered while several people are in the neighbourhood. Scotland Yard is called in, and Inspector Hemmingway interviews suspects in his inimitable way. Dry humour and good characterisation. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Great dust jacket - green, red and black
  jon1lambert | Jun 25, 2014 |
I gather I'm reading this somewhat out of order, in that there are several other books featuring the same detective and this is the last of them (and the last of Georgette Heyer's mysteries as a whole, I believe?). I blame the fact that they're not numbered in any way. Not that I think it much mattered: Chief Inspector Hemingway couldn't really win my heart, given that my fictional detective sweetie is always going to be Dorothy L. Sayers' Lord Peter. But he was fun enough to spend some time with, and I didn't feel that we needed to know too much about him and his personal life.

(Sometimes he drove me a little mad being superior, but I would imagine that's very much down to personal taste.)

I rather enjoyed the slow unwinding of the mystery, though I think maybe I would've preferred the culprit to be someone else, on the grounds that it was so neat -- got the culprit out of the community where they didn't fit in, leaving the community more or less unharmed (but better off for the loss of a singularly unpleasant murder victim and suspect)... I expect a certain degree of neatness in detective stories, because they're artificial, but that whiffed of something like Putting Those Upstarts In Their Place, or something.

Still, while the characters are more or less stereotypical for a little village murder, they're fun as drawn by Heyer, and she certainly has a way with words. I spat my drink out on reading another review here stating that she's not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as Agatha Christie (not those exact words: if you want to find the review, it's easy enough) -- to me, at least, Hayer's books seem less workmanlike, and rather inclined to mock themselves gently in a way I don't remember Christie's doing, a point which I think Christie's fan missed. ( )
  shanaqui | May 23, 2013 |
On the whle, I find Heyer's mysteries less interesting than her Regency romances, though my brother feels the reverse.
  antiquary | Apr 25, 2013 |

First published in 1953, this was the last of Georgette Heyer’s mysteries and the last in my project to read them all. Written in order to pay a tax bill (if I remember correctly from Jennifer Kloester’s excellent biography, [b:Georgette Heyer: Biography of a Bestseller|11682876|Georgette Heyer Biography of a Bestseller|Jennifer Kloester|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1328419452s/11682876.jpg|16629116]) the novel has a cast of quirky characters and is full of Heyer's witty dialogue. The plot – a reasonably standard whodunit with a range of possible culprits – is not exactly a page turner but was engaging enough to retain my interest. I didn’t guess the identity of the murderer until just before the penny dropped for Heyer’s entertaining detective Chief Inspector Hemingway, which was a definite plus.

This novel will appeal most to fans of Heyer’s writing and to readers with a fondness for the lighter side of British Golden Age detective fiction, rather than to dedicated readers of contemporary crime novels. However, it was a fun read, made even more fun by reading it with my friend Jemidar – who, clever clogs that she is - picked the culprit well in advance.
  KimMR | Apr 2, 2013 |

Meunier, DeniseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wagenseil, KurtTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zamchuka, A. A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zazo, Anna LuisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all such persons as may imagine that they recognize themselves in it, with the author's assurance that they are mistaken.
Mr Thaddeus Drybeck, stepping from the neat gravel drive leading from his house on to the road, found his further progress challenged, and, indeed, impeded, by the sudden onrush of Pekinese dogs, who bounced and barked asthmatically about his feet.

Slumped on a seat under an oak tree is old Sampson Warrenby, with a bullet through his brain. He is discovered by his niece Mavis, who is just one of ten people in the village in the running for chief suspect, having cause to dislike Warrenby intensely. Only Chief Inspector Hemingway can uncover which of the ten has turned hatred into murder.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:45 -0400)

Chief Inspector Hemingway investigates the murder of village solicitor Sampson Warrenby, a man with an abundance of enemies.

35 wanted2 pay3 pay

Sourcebooks Landmark

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Landmark.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,922,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible