No Talking (2007)

by Andrew Clements

1,861986,703 (4.05)11
The noisy fifth grade boys of Laketon Elementary School challenge the equally loud fifth grade girls to a "no talking" contest.
    The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger (cf66)
    cf66: Ragazzi che cercano soluzioni con originalità a problemi quotidiani

Great example of a healthy idea for a class game. Great read for older elementary students in 3rd-5th grades. ( )
  EverettDowdy | Mar 7, 2021 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
Andrew Clements practically was my childhood. Me and my Mum both loved them, so she would read them to me (Or as I got older, I would read them, and then let her read them to me, because she was too slow 😄). I read almost all of his books growing up, and I loved them! I read them so many times.
This was never one of my favourites, and I think I only read it once or twice, but when my mum got it out of the library for my brother, I was curious what I would think of it now.

No Talking is a fun book for younger kids. I enjoyed it⎯it was engagingly written, and sort of funny at times⎯but the characters were really petty, and seemed a bit immature for ten... I would have maybe put them at eight or so.

Overall, I think this is a great book for younger kids. Six to ten, I would say, would probably really enjoy this book. I just don't think this book stands up for an older audience. ( )
  irisssssssss | Jun 17, 2020 |

From the dust jacket: "The fifth-grade girls and the fifth-grade boys at Laketon Elementary don't get along very well. But the real problem is that these kids are loud and disorderly. That's why the principal uses her red plastic bullhorn. A lot.
Then one day Dave Packer, a certified loudmouth bumps into an idea - a big one that makes him try to keep quiet for a whole day. But what does Dave hear during lunch? A girl, Lynsey Burgess, jabbering away. So Dave breaks his silence and lobs an insult. And those words spark a contest: Which team can say the fewest words during two whole days? And it's the boys against the girls.

How do teachers react to the silence? What Happens when the principal feels she's losing control? And will Dave and Lynsey plunge the whole school into chaos?

This funny and surprising book is about language and thought, about words unspoken, words spoken in anger, and especially about the power of words spoken in kindness... with or without a bullhorn."

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,220,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible