HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Grave Peril

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (3)

Harry Dresden investigates a fellow magic user whose meddling in the spirit world results in ghosts wreaking havoc in Chicago.

English (233)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Piratical (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (238)
2020 reread

I must have originally logged this before I started reviewing everything I read. It was probably when I first joined Goodreads and was logging a lot of titles and rating by memory. I gave it 5 stars, I think based on the memory that this is the book that really sold me on the series.
It felt more like a 4-star read this time around—there were a couple things that bothered me now that maybe didn’t before—but the book still held up well, and the ending is a really good launching point for the larger conflicts in the series. I didn’t remember the war with the Red Court starting this early!
This is the book that introduces two characters I love, Thomas and Michael. Michael was a little more stiff and sin-talky than I remember, but I like all the Knights of the Cross stuff and how Harry perceives the power of his faith. I’m curious if Butcher had the relationship between Thomas and Harry plotted out this early. The implication that Justine was supposed to be Harry’s reward at the end just didn’t seem like something Thomas, Harry’s brother, would do. Which makes me wonder if Butcher decided later about that relationship.
I forgot so much about these early books in the series, I’m glad I’m rereading it. ( )
  Harks | Dec 17, 2022 |
James Marsters is so awesome reading the audio version of this book. ( )
  villyard | Dec 6, 2022 |
Excellent book. Well written, fascinating, and definitely keeps you turning the pages! This book also introduces two of the most fascinating characters of the series! ( )
  Anniik | Nov 26, 2022 |
Grave Peril has redeemed The Dresden Files series for me. Vampires are typically one of my least favorite creatures but I still enjoyed this immensely. The addition of new characters into the plot was fantastic and I hope they stick around. ( )
  NicholeReadsWithCats | Jun 17, 2022 |
The third book, and another interesting fantasy. This one was a little more intense and violent, but still a good read. ( )
  Wren73 | Mar 4, 2022 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There are reasons I hate to drive fast.
I felt uncomfortable, approaching the church -- not for any weirdo quasi-mystical reason. Just because I'd never been comfortable with churches in general. The Church had killed a lot of wizards in its day, believing them in league with Satan. It felt strange to be just strolling up on business. Hi, God, it's me, Harry. Please don't turn me into a pillar of salt. (chapter 9)
Thaumaturgy is traditional magic, all about drawing symbolic links between items or people then investing energy to get the effect that you want. You can do a lot with thaumaturgy, provided you have enough time to plan things out, and more time to prepare a ritual, the symbolic objects, and the magical circle.
I've yet to meet a slobbering monster polite enough to wait for me to finish. (Harry, chapter 16)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,778,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible