Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

Grave Peril

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (3)

6,986205854 (4)269
Harry Dresden investigates a fellow magic user whose meddling in the spirit world results in ghosts wreaking havoc in Chicago.

English (201)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (205)
I'm beginning to like the series. I think I will stick with it for now. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |
The Dresden Files #3 ( )
  Ronald.Marcil | Jul 7, 2019 |
Up to this point, the magic in the Dresden world, while powerful, seemed to be confined to a small scale. So it was nice to see Harry go ape-sh*t towards the end and cast a spell that causes major havok for Bianca and her Red Court vampires. Harry also shows a more tender side to himself by confessing his feelings for Susan. A strong continuation to a great series. ( )
  jrg1316 | Jun 20, 2019 |
This was another great read in the Harry Dresden series! Harry is at it again he is trying to find out who is stirring up ghosts to cause havoc. I love this series. ( )
  CurlUpAndRead | Jun 10, 2019 |
After now having read the third book in this series I have to say that the series is still wobbling between good and not so good as far as I am concerned. I like Harry. I like the stories which are nice finished stories which generally holds together. Sure, there is a red thread that binds the books together and there are of course some loose ends between each book but they still have an acceptable beginning and end.

However I do find it somewhat tiresome that, not only does Harry rather stupidly blunder (get tricked) into situations where he is overwhelmed or downright sucker punched but he always ends up running out of juice, getting sick, starts to puke or want to puke every so often. It would be nice to see Harry not only adopting a bit more of a bad-ass attitude as well as a bit more intelligence and dishing it out a bit for once instead of just reacting after he put his foot in it.

Having said that, it is still an enjoyable book. At first a bit of supernatural mystery that Harry has to solve which gradually is discovered to be an old acquaintance with a grudge. A grudge that he took with him to the grave and back you might say. Of course this works itself towards a big showdown between Harry and all kinds of supernatural beings. Unfortunately for Harry other actors are wanting a piece of the cake and Harry finds out that both he and his acquaintance are mere tools in the greater scheme.

There are plenty of action, plenty of agony, a decent story and lots and lots of bad guys. All of them of the not so human kind. The book is fairly fast paced yet without going overboard and throwing the story out in favor of action and the showdown (or rather showdowns) are rather spectacular. So despite my gripes above I did quite enjoy the book and the next one, Summer Knight, is on my to-read shelf already. ( )
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There are reasons I hate to drive fast.
I felt uncomfortable, approaching the church -- not for any weirdo quasi-mystical reason. Just because I'd never been comfortable with churches in general. The Church had killed a lot of wizards in its day, believing them in league with Satan. It felt strange to be just strolling up on business. Hi, God, it's me, Harry. Please don't turn me into a pillar of salt. (chapter 9)
Thaumaturgy is traditional magic, all about drawing symbolic links between items or people then investing energy to get the effect that you want. You can do a lot with thaumaturgy, provided you have enough time to plan things out, and more time to prepare a ritual, the symbolic objects, and the magical circle.
I've yet to meet a slobbering monster polite enough to wait for me to finish. (Harry, chapter 16)

In all his years of supernatural sleuthing, Harry Dresden has never faced anything like this: the spirit world's gone postal. These ghosts are tormented, violent, and deadly. Someone-or something-is purposely stirring them up to wreak unearthly havoc. But why? If Harry doesn't figure it out soon, he could wind up a ghost himself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,753,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible