Fall of the White Ship Avatar (1986)

by Brian Daley

Series: Fitzhugh and Floyt (3)

In this part of a series about Alacrity Fitzhugh and Hobart Floyt, these 2 heroes seek out the legendary White Ship that supposedly contains secrets of an alien race.

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission. Title: The Fall of the White Ship Avatar Series: The Terran Inheritance Author: Brian Daley Rating: of 5 Battle Axes Genre: SFF Pages: 292 Format: Kindle Synopsis: Alacrity and Floyt are hot on the trail of Precursor artifacts and Alacrity is bound and determined to be on the council of the White Ship, which appears to be tied to his family's history. Only Floyt has seen the future, from the causality harp, and knows that Alacrity will not be the Lord and Master of the White Ship. Will their friendship survive? In fact, will they survive? My Thoughts: First, the kindle editions I have state on the inside cover that the series name is The Terran Inheritance. I don't have access to old paperbacks but I'd bet a dollar that that same page is in them as well. But everywhere I go I see the series as the protagonist's names. The Adventures of Alacrity Fitzhugh and Hobart Floyt, while descriptive, is simply to long and unwieldy. It is too bad that Daley still isn't around to kick some ass and get things straightened out. This was partly about Fitz and Ho getting off a planet of sentient cattle-like beings and then about taking over the White Ship. While Alacrity's past has been hinted at in the previous books, here it takes front and center and it is a bit disconcerting. He goes from a talented space bum to some kind of Old School Space Admiral in about 2 breaths. It wasn't that it didn't make sense but it was different from the previous 2 books. If I had wanted different I'd have gone and read a different book. Daley was a good writer and a fun writer and that just shines on through even in the more serious moments. I have to hunt down his Coramande books but I'm in no big hurry as that is all I have to look forward to from him. Because he's dead. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
The final book in the series. Need to reread this, I liked it at the time, but don't recall enough about it 30 years later. ( )
  Karlstar | Sep 7, 2009 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,139,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible