The Lighthouse Witches

by C. J. Cooke

Every time I read a book by C.J. Cooke I never want it to end. She writes beautifully and her books are among the most atmospheric novels I have ever read. Just brilliant.
Liv and her three daughters arrive at a small island off the coast of Scotland in the middle of the night. Trying to escape real life, Liv agrees to paint the inside of a lighthouse on Lòn Haven, even though she knows the place holds a dark past as being one of the places where witches were mercilessly killed in the past.
Soon enough, things are not what they seem, and when every single one of them disappears, leaving only behind her middle daughter Luna, we start to realise there is more to the Longing than meets the eye.
Absolutely clever, dark and mysterious all the way through. Every page was delicious to read and I felt myself transported right there in that island from page one.
Can’t wait for her next novel. Absolute fan over here. ( )
  AleAleta | Nov 7, 2021 |
2- My #UnpopularOpinion of the day: This is probably the dullest piece of Gothic fiction I’ve ever read. Read my full review here. ( )
  joyblue | Nov 5, 2021 |
Olivia and her three daughters, Sapphire, Luna and Clover go to live in a bothy on a Scottish Island. Liv has gained a commission to paint a mural inside a lighthouse known as The Longing. Liv has her secrets but so does the island.

Whenever I read a book about small Scottish islands I can't help thinking of The Wicker Man. Lon Haven hasn't got a Wicker Man but has it's own secrets and folklore. In this story there is a history of witches and also Wildings.

I love books that are full of superstitions, folklore, witchcraft, old tales and just full on creepy. This story did offer all that. The descriptions are wonderful and the island is moody and has that sense of looking after it's own.

What I did find is that the story was a little long. The book followed three time lines so there was a lot to get in but for me it did go on a bit. Towards the end I felt the story was dragging and I just wanted to see how it was going to end. Everything is explained and it all does come together.

I'm not a fantasy reader but do enjoy creepy books. This book delved into fantasy very lightly so would be a good place to start even for me. I liked a lot about this book but also became bored with some of it too. It's the first time reading books by the author and would read more.

Thank you to the publisher via Netgalley for the chance to read the book. ( )
  tina1969 | Aug 20, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,537,526 books! | Top bar: Always visible