Red Seas Under Red Skies

by Scott Lynch

Series: The Gentleman Bastards Sequence (2)

4,7221772,244 (4.07)1 / 229
Fantasy. Fiction. Literature. Thriller. HTML:

After a brutal battle with the underworld that nearly destroyed him, Locke Lamora and his trusted sidekick, Jean, fled the island city of their birth and landed on the exotic shores of Tal Verrar to nurse their wounds. But even at this westernmost edge of civilization, they can't rest for long---and they are soon back doing what they do best: stealing from the undeserving rich and pocketing the proceeds for themselves.

This time, however, they have targeted the grandest prize of all: the Sinspire, the most exclusive and heavily guarded gambling house in the world. Its nine floors attract the wealthiest clientele---and to rise to the top, one must impress with good credit, amusing behavior‚?¶and excruciatingly impeccable play. For there is one cardinal rule, enforced by Requin, the house‚??s cold-blooded master: it is death to cheat at any game at the Sinspire.

Brazenly undeterred, Locke and Jean have orchestrated an elaborate plan to lie, trick, and swindle their way up the nine floors‚?¶straight to Requin's teeming vault. Under the cloak of false identities, they meticulously make their climb---until they are closer to the spoils than ever.

But someone in Tal Verrar has uncovered the duo's secret. Someone from their past who has every intention of making the impudent criminals pay for their sins. Now it will take every ounce of cunning to save their mercenary souls. And even that may not be eno… (more)

Group TopicMessagesLast Message
 FantasyFans: The Gentlemen B*stards Sequence45 unread / 45Carnophile, September 2020

English (175)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (177)
the Gentlemen Bastards are all at sea in this chapter two - and so is the novel a little without the backup players and the particulars of the city backdrop, plus a little too much emphasis for my taste on the particulars of how to sail. and the plot has holes in it again. it's a good book, though: plenty of momentum and you can't really go wrong with pirates, can you? ( )
  macha | Jul 21, 2023 |
Not as good as the 1st one but engaging enough so i'm giving it a 3.75 ( )
  NG_YbL | Jul 12, 2023 |
This was the correct choice for a travel read. Good heisty story and fun characters, excellent for whiling away airport hours. It's probably really effing good for its genre, which is one I only dip into. ( )
  Kiramke | Jun 27, 2023 |
Oof, this was was a doozy. I have no idea how it only took me a week to read it, because 700 pages sure is a feat. But I managed. And I loved it. I loved meeting all the new characters - Ezri, Selendri, Drakasha - and I loved the new setting- a new country, several new nationalities, some more exposure to the wider world that we inhabit, and a brand new heist to complete. While I feel it had a very slow start, the minute we started the journey at sea, everything just fell into place beautifully. I really enjoyed how the plans all came together in the end, and how Lynch kept parts of the final plan hidden from us right until it was happening, just for that satisfaction. I also loved the Epilogue chapter, treating us to the way that sometimes things don't always go to plan. I just love this series, honestly. ( )
  viiemzee | Feb 20, 2023 |
I absolutely love this series. I will say this book wasn't as awesome as this first but overall it was a great read. Scott Lynch is a master of descriptive writing, I always feel like I'm walking through the streets with Locke and Jean. I can't wait to read the next one. ( )
  SabethaDanes | Jan 30, 2023 |

Scott Lynchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Martini, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, EdwardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Matthew Woodring Stover,
a friendly sail on the horizon.
Non destiti, nunquam desistam.
Locke Lamora stood on the pier in Tal Verrar with the hot wind of a burning ship at his back and the cold bite of a loaded crossbow’s bolt at his neck.
When you can't cheat the game, you'd best find a means to cheat the players.
I can finger-dance a live cat into a standard deck of fifty-six, and slip it back out at leisure. Other players might complain about the noise, but they'd never spot the source.
"I think piracy's a bit like drinking," said Jean. "You want to stay out all night doing it, you pay the price the next day."

Fantasy. Fiction. Literature. Thriller. HTML:

Locke and Jean become
unwilling pirates after
long con goes awry.
(passion4reading)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 195,031,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible