HomeGroupsTalkExplore

All Things Bright and Beautiful (1974)

by James Herriot

A Yorkshire veterinarian describes the adventures and experiences of his career as he tends to sick cattle, pregnant ewes, ailing dogs, and their eccentric owners, in a celebration of the relationships between human and animal.

English (40)  Spanish (1)  All languages (41)
Not quite as good as All Creatures Great and Small -- narrative time less linear. Also the musical interludes between chapters were grating, especially since their duration varied. ( )
  Castinet | Dec 11, 2022 |
I remember my dad giving me these books for a birthday or xmas fairly early on, and I've loved them and returned to them ever since. Just re-listened to the excellent audio book version. _- love the accents, the humor, the wonderful setting, and the compassion to animals. Great storytelling. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
Although I enjoyed Mr. Herriot's first book, this one seemed like more of the same ole, same ole. It is a bit choppy, out of context. Sometimes he is married, sometimes he is not. Sometimes it is winter, the next day it is the heat of summer. It is an O.K. read. Just know, nothing new. ( )
  jtsolakos | Mar 22, 2022 |
Lovely tales of veterinarian Jim Herriot and his adventures treating animals in WW2 England. Delightful and funny stories if you enjoy historicals and are an animal lover. ( )
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |
This is a collection of stories about a small town veterinarian, James Herriot. I laughed, I cried and I even know some of these people in these tales! I was captivated from start to finish.

I loved this audiobook! The narrator is fantastic with his perfect accent! Totally made the whole book.

You do not want to miss the antics involved in this heart warming read! The animals and their owners will keep you entertained!

I received this novel from the publisher for a honest review. ( )
  fredreeca | Mar 25, 2021 |

James Herriotprimary authorall editionscalculated
García Burgos, AmparoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful, The Lord God made them all. Cecil Francis Alexander 1818-1895
With love to my wife and to my mother in dear old Glasgow town
As I crawled into bed and put my arm around Helen it occurred to me, not for the first time, that there are few pleasures in this world to compare with snuggling up to a nice woman when you are half frozen.

Let Sleeping Vets Lie &
Vet in Harness

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,940,640 books! | Top bar: Always visible