Freak the Mighty (1993)

by Rodman Philbrick

Series: Freak the Mighty (book 1)

3,4541432,844 (4)61
At the beginning of eighth grade, learning disabled Max and his new friend Freak, whose birth defect has affected his body but not his brilliant mind, find that when they combine forces they make a powerful team.
    Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (weener)
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Whisper1)
    Whisper1: This books is similar in humor and poignancy.

A great friendship book, everyone should read it! ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Mar 23, 2021 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
Orig. publ. as Freak the mighty. Film tie-in edition. ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
This book is another that stands alone, simply because of its sheer emotional power, and the impression it leaves you with long after you finish.

Max is different...his body is far too large, while his brain just can't seem to keep up. Both his mother and his father are problematic drinkers, and they don't understand him.

Then Max meets Kevin, a.k.a Freak, a scrawny boy in a body brace with a brain that would rival Einstein's and a mother as kind as she is beautiful.

Suddenly, Max and Freak have found a way to be friends. Alone, they're both outcasts, each lacking something. Together, they will become Freak the Mighty, two boys ready to face the world with all the courage, chivalry, and determination of the knights of old.

An incredibly moving story of two boys struggling with the handicaps life has left them with, and finding that the only way to overcome them is to tie your life to someone else's.

Note: The movie of this book was also very good, deviating a little but still capturing the raw emotional power. ( )
  booksong | Mar 18, 2020 |
I loved this book when I was Freak the Mighty's age, and I love it now as an adult. It's a wonderful tale of friendship between two very different boys with very different troubles. I would love to read the sequel one day. ( )
  SOlson096 | Dec 3, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

To the real Kevin, and the real Gwen, with love.
I never had a brain until Freak came along and let me borrow his for a while, and that's the truth, the whole truth.
So out we go. It's a habit by now, Freak riding up high on my shoulders and using his little feet to steer me if I forget where we're going.

Opposites Attract.
Never judge a friend by looks
alone. Heart matters.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,251,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible