Misery

by Stephen King

For use in schools and libraries only. Paul Sheldon, author of a series of historical romances, wakes up in a secluded farmhouse in Colorado with broken legs while Annie Wilkes, a disappointed fan, hovers over him with drugs, an ax, and a blowtorch, demanding he bring his heroine back to life.

English (171)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (180)
Stephen King's best book and there isn't even anything supernatural in it. ( )
  Gumbywan | Jun 24, 2022 |
As far as quality of writing and minimal dull meandering this is better than much of what I've read of his before but it has enough issues for me that 2 stars is the best I can do.

Bookending the action of the book with references to metaphorical rape was unpleasant (not in a horrifying/tension escalating way, just in a "Ugh, really, do I have to read this?" kind of way), the crude ethnic stereotypes employed in the excepts of Misery's Return were entirely unnecessary (and makes me wonder whether, following King's portrayal of people of colour in other works, that he just likes writing stuff like that and uses the framing of the narrative as an excuse).

We are spared the usual titillating fixation on the appearance, movement and feel of female breasts only because the female lead is intended to be repulsive although he still can't avoid commenting on the size of her bust and making us think about what sort of "orifices" she might have. Probably the regulation issue, Stephen, but sure let's hear about how she's fibrous and solid some more.

Most of the book is okay but really I'm done with King at this point, life's too short. ( )
  ElegantMechanic | May 28, 2022 |
Good, Good ( )
  ilsevr1977 | Feb 20, 2022 |
I mean... sure. I'm trying to catch up on the King I never got around to and I'm starting to kind of see why the ones I never read were left in the dust. This one was fine, a little interesting from the perspective that we get more interiority than a lot of other King-styled novelist protagonists. I think as a character Annie maybe deserves more than we ever get from her in this novel which might be a weird thing to say but... here we are. ( )
  Midnight_Reader | Feb 3, 2022 |
7,8/10
- tem umas partes que a leitura fica MUITO chata/cansativa e depois fica MUITO interessante
- escrita densa
- tem algumas partes extremamente desconfortáveis de ler, mas é o objetivo ( )
  pfvrclarax | Jan 1, 2022 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crouse, LindsayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

-- Friedrich Nietzsche
Writing does not cause misery, it is born of misery.

-- Montaigne
It's no good. I've been trying to sleep for the last half-hour, and I can't. Writing here is a sort of drug. It's the only thing I look forward to. This afternoon I read what I wrote. . . . And it seemed vivid. I know it seems vivid because my imagination fills in all the bits another person wouldn't understand. I mean, it's vanity. But it seems a sort of magic. . . . And I just can't live in this resent. I would go mad if I did.

-- John Fowles

The Collector
"You will be visited by a tall, dark stranger," the gipsy woman told Misery, and Misery, startled, realized two things at once: this was no gipsy, and the two of them were no longer alone in the tent. She could smell Gwendolyn Chastain's perfume in the moment before the madwoman's hands closed around her throat.

"In fact," the gipsy who was not a gipsy observed, "I think she is here now."

Misery tried to scream, but she could no longer even breathe.

-- Misery's Child
"It always look data way, Boss Ian," Hezekia said, "No matter how you look at her, she seem like she be lookin' at you. I doan know if it be true, but the Bourkas, dey say even when you get behin' her, the godess, she seem to be lookin' at you."

"But she is, after all, only a piece of stone, Ian remonstrated.

"Yes, Boss Ian," Hezekia agreed. "Dat what give her powah.

-- Misery's Return
This is for Stephanie and Jim Leonard, who know why. Boy, do they.
umber whunn

yerrnnn umber whunnnn

fayunnn

These sounds: even in the haze.
"I'm your number-one fan!"
Then he would look at the blank screen of his word processor for awhile. What fun. Paul Sheldon's fifteen-thousand-dollar paperweight.

Paul Sheldon. He's a bestselling novelist who has finally met his biggest fan. Her name is Annie Wilkes and she is more than a rabid reader - she is Paul's nurse, tending his shattered body after an automobile accident. But she is also his captor, keeping him prisoner in her isolated house. Now Annie wants Paul to write his greatest work-just for her. She has a lot of ways to spur him on. One is a needle. Another is an ax. And if they don't work, she can get really nasty... (0-451-15355-3)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,523,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible