Take a Girl Like You by Kingsley Amis

Take a Girl Like You (1970)

by Kingsley Amis

Recently added bypaulcampbell, Zjev, dom61uk, datrappert, WPendleton, SJH8, marbas
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding

English (5)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (6)
I love Kingsley Amis, but this book is vile. His sexism -- simmering under the surface in much of his writing -- is on full display here, culminating in what today we would call a date rape. Skip this and read The Old Devils...or just read Lucky Jim again. ( )
  Patrick311 | Jul 15, 2011 |
It is difficult to judge this book. It was written in 1960 and, by the standards of the day, was a racy little comedy. Sadly, time is not kind to racy little comedies and this is more of a history lesson of innocence than an amusing read. I can see that in its day, it would have been quite daring - I can even see where the humour would have been: its a bit like watching Charlie Chaplin, one knows that one should admire the timing and the inventiveness, but somehow, the humour has seeped away over the years.

The interesting thing that books like this show is how amazingly straight forward life was. The box in the corner has educated us all into the art of subterfuge and we are so much more devious: no more intelligent, and probably more likely to buy a pup but that darned box has told us what it is "cool" to do.

A reasonably interesting romp in naivety, but little else. ( )
2 vote the.ken.petersen | May 10, 2010 |
Funny at the time
  jon1lambert | Nov 5, 2009 |
And he probably would have done ( )
  davidroche | Jan 29, 2008 |
This work is pretty dated and left me ultimately unsatisfied. ( )
  Stensvaag | May 28, 2007 |
Where shall I go when I go where I go?

Go, gentle maid, go lead the apes in hell.
To Mavis and Geoff Nicholson
"Hallo, Miss Bunn," Dick Thompson said on a note of celebration.

A virgin's progress amid orgy and seduction. When attractive little Jenny Bunn comes south to teach, she falls in with Patrick Standish, a schoolmaster, and all the rakes and rogues of a provincial "Hell Fire Club".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:00 -0400)

"Kingsley Amis's most ambitious reckoning with his central theme--the degradation of modern life--Take a Girl Like You also introduces one of the rare unqualified good guys in Amis's rogue-ridden world: Jenny Bunn, a girl from the North English country has come south to teach school in a small smug town where she hopes to find love and fortune. Jenny is independent, likable, optimistic, openhearted, intelligent, and exceedingly good-looking, but the men who flock around her are all too willing to overlook her virtues in the hopes of getting her in the sack. But then Jenny, though no prude, is set on remaining a virgin until marriage. Jenny's fundamental, unshakeable decency and her determination to live life on her own terms--though she is surrounded with a host of brilliantly rendered schemers and fools, male and female, but chiefly male--are in the forefront of Amis's novel"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,558,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible