Bluebeard's Egg and Other Stories (1983)

by Margaret Atwood

A man finds himself surrounded by women who are becoming paler, more silent and literally smaller; a woman's intimate life is strangely dominated by the fear of nuclear warfare; a melancholy teenage love is swept away by a hurricane, while a tired, middle-aged affection is rekindled by the spectacle of rare Jamaican birds... In these exceptional short stories, by turns funny and searingly honest, Margaret Atwood captures brilliantly the complex forces that govern our relationships, and the powerful emotions that guide them.… (more)

I‘m not much of a fan of short stories in general anyway, but these stories were full of hapless women and mostly ambiguous endings. Yes that‘s probably trademark Atwood, but done better in novel form, I think.

Warning: one story “Uglypuss” is especially disturbing, due to animal cruelty 😢. ( )
  ValerieAndBooks | Aug 5, 2019 |
A collection of stories about the lives of women -- even the one or two that are from a male POV are really more about women -- and about relationships between men and women or between children and parents. They're mostly the kind of literary stories in which not much actually happens and in which there doesn't even necessarily seem to be a well-defined beginning, middle, and end. The one exception, perhaps, is "Uglypuss," about a woman's attempt to get at a cheating man by way of his cat. As a cat lover, I found that one highly disturbing, and part of me wishes one fewer thing had happened in it, honestly. It's definitely an effective story, though. And, like all of them, it's well written. Atwood's prose isn't showy, but it's smooth and beautiful, and full of subtlety. ( )
  bragan | Nov 8, 2018 |
"The life she's led up to now seems to her entirely crazed. How did she end up in this madhouse? By putting one foot in front of the other ..." Quite a few stories of this collection present women stranded in their middle age, trying to understand what happened. These are the best of the collection, full of unforgettable lines and observations and presented with a type of humour all of the author's own: "Her only discoverable ambition as a child was to be able to fly, and much of her later life has been spent in various attempts to take off."
  stef7sa | Jan 5, 2017 |
A collection of short stories/writings... they tend to involve emotionally fraught , unresolved issues. Not always an easy read (emotionally), but a worthwhile one. Thoughtful and thought-provoking. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I read the Handmaid's tale years ago and found it astounding. So I was disappointed with these dull slice-of-life short stories, full of sad characters. Just finished it, and most of the tales are forgotten already.
I presume Atwood's huge reputation wasn't based on these. ( )
1 vote LARA335 | Apr 30, 2014 |

Margaret Atwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Franke, CharlotteÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For My Parents
When my mother was very small, someone gave her a basket of baby chicks for Easter.

A collection of short stories that are both funny and frightening, very realistically drawn from every day life.

Contents: Indhold: Significant moments in the life of my mother --
Hurricane Hazel --
Loulou or The domestic life of the language --
Uglypuss --
Two stories about Emma (The whirlpool rapids --
Walking on water) --
Bluebeard's egg --
Spring song of the frogs --
Scarlet Ibis --
The salt garden --
In search of the rattlesnake plantain --
The sunrise --
Unearthing suite

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,990,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible