Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife by Mary…

Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife

by Mary Roach

"What happens when we die? Does the light just go out and that's that-- the million-year nap? Or will some part of my personality, my me-ness persist? What will that feel like? What will I do all day? Is there a place to plug in my laptop?" In an attempt to find out, Mary Roach brings her tireless curiosity to bear on an array of contemporary and historical soul-searchers: scientists, schemers, engineers, mediums, all trying to prove (or disprove) that life goes on after we die. She begins the journey in rural India with a reincarnation researcher and ends up in a University of Virginia operating room where cardiologists have installed equipment near the ceiling to study out-of-body near-death experiences. Along the way, she enrolls in an English medium school, gets electromagnetically haunted at a university in Ontario, and visits a Duke University professor with a plan to weigh the consciousness of a leech. Her historical wanderings unearth soul-seeking philosophers who rummaged through cadavers and calves' heads, a North Carolina lawsuit that established legal precedence for ghosts, and the last surviving sample of "ectoplasm" in a Cambridge University archive" -- publisher's web site.… (more)

Most of the book was... um... duh. ( )
  kweber319 | May 13, 2019 |
Not as good as stiff. A little to "spiritual" but very interesting. Many world travels to see who is studying death and the soul. ( )
  ksmedberg | Aug 15, 2018 |
Spook was my first dive into Mary Roach's writing, and I found it to be a thoroughly enjoyable one. The first chapter I found a bit on the difficult side to read as it was tedious to me, but the rest of the book flowed easily and amusingly through the strange topics of ghosts and the possible afterlife. A self-proclaimed skeptic, Roach managed to keep a fairly non-biased view about the manner and remain open-minded while still voicing her own disbelief in a manner that allowed the reader to make the choice for themselves as to how they felt about things.

I'd recommend the book to just about anyone and am looking forward to getting through her other publications. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
The audio version was difficult to handle. I found myself zoning and having to backtrack. Mary Roach is one of my favorite authors & the audio performance should not be a reflection on her research. I might have enjoyed this much more had I read the hard copy or if the narrator was someone different. ( )
  godmotherx5 | Apr 5, 2018 |
This one is really hard for me because I like Mary Roach. The truth i I only read it as far as I did because I liked several of her other books a lot. This book didn't do it for me. I didn't like the way she attacked the subject. I didn't think it was funny, although I think it was trying to be in places. It seemed to have no clear direction on what kind of book it wanted to be. I stopped reading about 60% of the way through. Again if it hadn't been Roach I would have set this one down much earlier. She can write and there were some interesting parts but not enough to keep me going. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
Roach ranges far and wide in "Spook," traveling to India to look into reincarnation and England to take a course in how to be a medium. She is a skeptic, but comes to some surprising conclusions in "Spook."

For my parents, wherever they are or aren't.
Introduction
My mother worked hard to instill faith in me.
I don’t recall my mood the morning I was born, but I imagine I felt a bit out of sorts.
Also published under the title of "Six Feet Over".

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Canongate Books

2 editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 184195845X, 1847670806

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,580,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible