Frill Kill

by Laura Childs

This Halloween, the bestselling mystery author makes New Orleans even spookier than usual. Carmela's friend Ava is having a Halloween bash at her scrapbooking store, and she hires a sexy Tarot reader named Giovanni to work the crowd. What he doesn't foretell is that on her way home Carmela will find the body of a beautiful model behind a dumpster, and be attacked herself. But he's the one who appears to save her-or was he already there? Giovanni's the number one suspect, but Ava is determined to stand by her employee...even if he does have a way of dodging questions. Ava and Carmela have plenty of other strange leads to follow up, like the tooth marks around the victim's neck, and the non-human hairs found at the scene. As the witching hour draws closer, Carmela must discover what's lurking in the shadows of the French Quarter-or the only thing left to scrapbook will be her death certificate.… (more)

Carmela Bertrand owns a scrapbooking store in the heart of New Orleans, just down the street from her best friend Ava's voodoo shop. Ava has a new draw -- Giovanni, a gypsy who reads the Tarot, palms, and looks into his crystal ball for his customers. His good looks aren't hurting, and it's sending people her way. When Carmela sees him call out to a woman, she can't help but wonder why he wants to talk to her so badly. But not much later, Carmela hears noises behind a dumpster in the alley, and sees the same woman. When she turns to help, someone hits her from behind and knocks her out. Then she finds that Giovanni is trying to awaken her and wonders if he isn't the killer.

But Ava is convinced of his innocence, even if Carmela isn't, so they set out to find the person who wanted the young woman dead. Unfortunately, Carmela and Ava have full schedules that need to be taken care of, too. Along with running her shop, Carmela has promised her friend to help decorate a designer's grand opening at Halloween, complete with a scary background. The designer once employed the dead woman, Amber, as his model, so Carmela figures it's also going to be a good place to ask a few questions.

There's also the news anchor who's been hounding Carmela, and the rumors of a werewolf within the midst of the city. While she doesn't believe it, she knows that something sinister is going on. And with Halloween coming up fast in the Garden District, there's hundreds of places a killer could hide in plain sight. And they just might be doing so, if only to watch Carmela's next move...

This is the fifth book in the series, and while it's an older one, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. As Shamus says, Ava is a hoot. I honestly like Shamus in this book; he's not as sleazy as he's been in the others, and he definitely still cares for Carmela. Glory's her usual annoying self, and Detective Babcock is around as well to try and keep Carmela reined in (as if that's going to work).

The mystery is done well, and when the killer is revealed it comes as a surprise, which is how it's supposed to be. The climax was quite interesting and while I wouldn't call it a nail-biter, it had its moments. When the book was finished, it left a satisfying and pleasant feeling, which is how books should leave you. I am enjoying this series more and more and look forward to reading the next one. Recommended. ( )
  joannefm2 | Apr 11, 2021 |
I love this series (I admit I haven’t read her Tea Shop series). It set in New Orleans as usual soon after the Hurricane Katrina has left. Things seem to be getting back to normal as far as business is concern. Carmela in her Scrapbooking store and Ava with her Voodoo store.

Ava has a wonderful store party soon before Halloween to help get in the “Spirit”. On her way home Carmela discovers a body and is attacked from behind. Giovanni comes to her rescue.

Soon after Ava and Carmela are on the case to find out how the murder happened and who attacked Carmela. Of course there are roadblocks along the way, but none that can be solved.
  suefitz1 | Apr 3, 2013 |
This was a fun entry in the Scrapbooking Mysteries. Set at Halloween in New Orleans there are ghosties and ghoulies and things that go bump in the night galore! Carmela is embroiled in another murder, this one of a model. While she and Ada run around trying to solve the murder there is wolves (or are they werewolves?) run ins with the soon to be ex-husband Shamus, confrontations with local cops and a modeling job at the local designers shop.

I was guessing about the murderer but only fleetingly considered the actual killer, so I learned about it at the time the author wanted me too!

Highly recommended - and I'm looking forward to the next in the series. ( )
  bookswoman | Mar 31, 2013 |
I enjoyed this book, l like books set at halloween and this one had many halloween descriptions. Good story line and an easy read book much better than some other cozy books I have read. Wrapped up a little quick towards the end, but still a good read... ( )
  PriscillaRose | Sep 26, 2009 |
I loved this book. The main characters, Ava and Carmela, are wonderfully adventuresome. I would think anyone wanting a good beach or vacation read would also love this! ( )
  kingsportlibrary | Jul 29, 2008 |

Belongs to Series

This book is dedicated to my friend Pat Hawley.
"Aloup-garou!" exclaimed Carmela Bertrand.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,390,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible