Fullmetal Alchemist, Volume 2

by Hiromu Arakawa

Series: Fullmetal Alchemist (Volume 2)

When an alchemical ritual goes awry causing Edward Elric to lose limbs and his brother to become trapped in a suit of armor, Edward begins a quest to recover the one thing that can restore them, the legendary Philosopher's Stone.

After the first volume , I am glad I stuck along. This volume was amazing. It had everything , amazing moments that clearly proved not to take this world lightly. The arc with Dr. Tucker kept me in a state of horrific suspense. Surprisingly , I enjoyed the fight sequences to a great extent. The entry of the 's philosopher's stone, the Ishwarite's history the world this writer is building up is interesting.
This is one of the first times I felt a manga was able to portray subtle emotions (of horror or desperation) beautifully. The despair in the face of Dr. Tucker set the mood of the coming horror and the sudden shift of the scenario during Edward Elric's dream were amazing moments.

The only complain I have of the writer , not necessarily for this volume , is the character sketch of Lust. Unlike gluttony , her behavior sans her looks does not match up to the sin she is portraying. I would have loved this series even more if I writer was able to show that or surprised me by his interpretation of lust. Right now she is just a amazing villain nothing lustful in her except her looks (which I find to be very juevenille attempt to show her as LUST). ( )
  __echo__ | May 11, 2021 |
Even as the world of Fullmetal Alchemist is shown to be increasingly dark down to its roots -- religious conflicts, civil war, genocide, martial law, human experimentation, religious extremist serial killers -- Arakawa brings more humor to the character interaction. It's a battle manga with a quest for the Philosopher's Stone at its center, but I'm hoping the characters will become more human as the story progresses. It's on the right track at the moment. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jan 21, 2021 |
I'm fine, everything's fine... ( )
  Airainai | Dec 31, 2020 |
So fun. It's everything I loved about the anime, but in book form. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
I finished this volume on the same day that I started and finished Elie Wiesel's Night. While I've noticed FMA's allusions to Nazi Germany in the anime before, I was hyper aware of them while reading the source material. Human experimentation, genocide, eugenics, and the rise of facism are all highlighted. It's a heartbreaking allegory of human suffering and people's responses to grief.

Yes, FMA is a shounen manga. It's also a critical piece of literature. ( )
1 vote lhofer | Sep 26, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Whoa . . . that was amazing . . .
Chapters 5-8, Extra, Preview

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,081,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible