HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Very Lonely Firefly (1995)

by Eric Carle

A lonely firefly goes out into the night searching for other fireflies.

I nab Carle books mostly for the art, which is a good thing, because this one I somehow nabbed in Korean. Which I can't read. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
The firefly flickers his light, hoping to see another. He sees different lights and goes to them, but they are lamps, candles, headlights, or other lights. None of them are other fireflies. Until, at last, the firefly sees a bunch of lights flickering, and when he goes up to them, they are a group of other fireflies! The lonely firefly has found others like him and is no longer lonely.

This book covers the topic of companionship. The firefly just wants to find other fireflies like him and is disappointed and lonely each time he has false hope. I think that this is a metaphor that kids can understand for a lonely person looking for friends. The illustrations are really cool in this book. The backgrounds are dark colors with the different things that the firefly is looking at standing out, especially the part that is lit up. Kids can learn about fireflies, as well as companionship in this book. ( )
  dperkins9 | Mar 24, 2020 |
Another beautiful Eric Carle. This one shows all kinds of different lights. At least some versions of the board book have battery-operated twinkling lights, which is a nice idea, but I'm not fond of technological enhancements to books. ( )
  adaq | Dec 25, 2019 |
The Very Lonely Firefly is an engineered picturebook intended for pre-k to 2nd grade. This picturebook utilizes illustration on over half the page spread. The illustrations are very Eric Carle style. He has a distinctive illustration style. The Very Lonely Firefly follows a firefly looking for a friend. He chases lamps, cars, fireworks and more. At the end of the story, there are a bunch of fireflies that all lit up (if the book is not too old and the lights/batteries still work). This book can be utilized in mathematics, English language arts, and science. I enjoyed reading this book as a child and I believe that students would still enjoy reading this book today. For these reasons, I would recommend this book be utilized in a classroom. ( )
  msheiv1 | Feb 27, 2019 |
When a very lonely firefly goes out into the night searching for other fireflies, it sees a lantern, a candle, and the eyes of a dog, cat, and owl all glowing in the darkness. It even sees a surprise celebration of light. But it is not until it discovers other fireflies that it finds exactly what it's looking for--a surprise sure to bring smiles to anyone who turn the final page! ( )
  wichitafriendsschool | Feb 20, 2017 |

A lonely firefly goes out into the night searching for other fireflies.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,750,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible