Jesus of Nazareth: From the Baptism in the…

Jesus of Nazareth: From the Baptism in the Jordan to the Transfiguration (2007)

by Pope Benedict XVI

English (18)  Spanish (3)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (26)
When Joseph Ratzinger was elected Pope Benedict XVI in April 2005, he became the most accomplished theologian to ascend to the Papacy in several hundred years. Over the previous fifty years of his life he had written scores of theological works; even his critics have acknowledged his erudition and intellect. Accessible and illuminating, "Jesus of Nazareth" is an antidote to the academic search for the 'historical' Jesus. Written by an author who is not only the head of the Catholic Church but also a respected theologian in his own right, this book is full of insight, humility and honesty. The Pope has called Jesus of Nazareth, 'solely an expression of my personal search 'for the face of the Lord'. Everyone is free, then, to contradict me. I would only ask my readers for that initial willingness to sympathise, without which there can be no understanding'. The author's fundamental purpose in this book is to restore and renew 'the interior friendship with Jesus a figure that makes sense and feels right in historical terms'. An informative and insightful portrait of the figure that emerges in the Gospels, it is a deeply spiritual work that contends with the dramatic and provocative questions of faith. Important and valuable to those disillusioned by troubled times and in the wake of recent scepticism, "Jesus of Nazareth" will engage and provoke thought in anyone who seeks a relationship with God.

“This book is… my personal search ‘for the face of the Lord.’” —Benedict XVI

In this bold, momentous work, the pope—in his first book written as Benedict XVI—seeks to salvage the person of Jesus from recent “popular” depictions and to restore Jesus’ true identity as discovered in the Gospels. Through his brilliance as a theologian and his personal conviction as a believer, the pope shares a rich, compelling, flesh-and-blood portrait of Jesus and incites us to encounter, face-to-face, the central figure of the Christian faith.

From Jesus of Nazareth… “the great question that will be with us throughout this entire book: But what has Jesus really brought, then, if he has not brought world peace, universal prosperity, and a better world? What has he brought? The answer is very simple: God. He has brought God! He has brought the God who once gradually unveiled his countenance first to Abraham, then to Moses and the prophets, and then in the wisdom literature—the God who showed his face only in Israel, even though he was also honored among the pagans in various shadowy guises. It is this God, the God of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob, the true God, whom he has brought to the peoples of the earth. He has brought God, and now we know his face, now we can call upon him. Now we know the path that we human beings have to take in this world. Jesus has brought God and with God the truth about where we are going and where we come from: faith, hope, and love.”
  tony_sturges | Oct 2, 2018 |
x
  StFrancisofAssisi | Aug 2, 2018 |
'447'
  caffeinatedbookworm | Nov 23, 2017 |
Il contesto

"Gesù nella storia", "Gesù nei Vangeli", "Gesù nella fede". E' l'ambizioso obiettivo di questo libro, e di quello successivo, che lo scrittore Joseph Ratzinger, teologo illustre e studioso di fama, oltre che Papa, si è prefisso. E' quello che io chiamo "il contesto" di cui ogni uomo dovrebbe essere messo al corrente, che creda o meno. Non posso emettere un giudizio, perché le oltre 400 pagine da cui è fatto questo libro non si leggono come un romanzo. E così neanche il libro che segue. A fine lettura potrò scrivere con calma e giusta riflessione. ( )
  AntonioGallo | Nov 2, 2017 |
  MisaBookworm | Feb 2, 2016 |

Pope Benedict XVIprimary authorall editionscalculated
Walker, Adrian J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Im Buch Deuteronomium findet sich eine Verheissung, die von der messianischen Hoffnung anderer Bücher des Alten Testaments durchaus verschieden, aber für das Verständnis der Gestalt Jesu von entscheidender Bedeutung ist.
382 minutes, not rated.
Beginning before the Nativity and extending through the Crucifixion and Resurrection, this film brings to life all the majesty and sweeping drama of the life of Jesus.

“This book is… my personal search ‘for the face of the Lord.’” —Benedict XVI

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:08 -0400)

In his first book written as pope, offers a portrait of Jesus based on the Gospels and encourages Christians to better understand the central figure of their faith.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,472,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible