The New Laurel's Kitchen: A Handbook for Vegetarian Cookery and Nutrition

by Laurel Robertson, Carol Flinders, Brian Ruppenthal

The complete vegetarian cookbook and reference center for the whole-foods kitchen - over a million copies sold! The New Laurel's Kitchen is everything that made the first edition loved and trusted, with hundreds of new recipes and the latest nutritional information. The book contains more than 500 recipes, ideas, menus, and suggestions, each tested and perfected for satisfying, wholesome home cooking. Imaginative recipes use low-cost, easy-to-find foods, with dozens of ways to cut back on fat without losting flavor. There are specific sections on cooking for children, elders, pregnancy, and athletes.  The New Laurel's Kitchen is the revolutionary food guide that makes good nutrition easy, and this classic is still relevant for today's generation of vegetarians and plant-based eaters.… (more)

NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
There aren't a lot of recipes I use from this book...except for the ones I can't do without. The gumbo recipe was one of my husband's favorites, as was black-eyed peas Virginia style.

I'd take any nutritional guidance in the book with a grain of salt, but it's still good advice. ( )
  Lyndatrue | Dec 28, 2013 |
A classic vegetarian cookbook. Like all good cookbooks it reflects the personal cooking style of the author. This one tends to lean heavily on whole grains and buttermilk. My favorite recipes are "Whole Beet Borscht" p152, "Green Potatoes for Six" p206, "Baked Zucchini" p 216, and "Lasagna al Forno" p256 ( )
  sheherazahde | Jul 11, 2008 |
I love this cookbook, even though I don't use it as much as I used to. It has fantastic nutritional information in the book (a section which is missing from the mini paperback version), and the bread recipes are fantastic.

highly recommend! ( )
  rudyleon | Jul 18, 2007 |
I still have my original copy of the old Laurel's Kitchen. The recipes in this one are lower fat and slightly updated. Also, it's easier to handle and read the larger paperback in the kitchen. I still go back to my original copy, since it's the one I read from cover to cover and am most familiar with where to find things.

What I like most about this book (original and new editions) is how much they cover about being a vegetarian. I still use it as a reference to look up things about nutrition (like what vegetarian foods are high in iodine, etc.) although the recipes aren't nearly as interesting to me these days.
  bilbette | Aug 6, 2006 |

Laurel Robertsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Flinders, Carolmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ruppenthal, Brianmain authorall editionsconfirmed

• Over 500 recipes, ideas, menus, and suggestions, each tested and perfected for satisfying, wholesome home cooking

• Imaginative use of low-cost, easy-to-find foods

• Dozens of ways to cut back on fat without losting flavor

• Revolutionary food guide that makes good nutrition easy

• Sections on cooking for children, elders, pregnant moms, athletes

• Practical applications of the latest in nutrition science

Book description taken from the back cover of the book.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,999,049 books! | Top bar: Always visible