The Autobiography of an Unknown Indian (1951)

by Nirad C. Chaudhuri

The Autobiography of an Unknown Indian is an astonishing work of self-discovery and the revelation of a peerless and provocative sensibility. Describing his childhood in the Bengali countryside and his youth in Calcutta--and telling the story of modern India from his own fiercely independent viewpoint--Chaudhuri fashions a book of deep conviction, charm, and intimacy that is also a masterpiece of the writer's art.… (more)

Prose in the hands of this master is like Ravi Shankar with a Sitar, a Tiger Woods with a golf ball, Pele with a soccer ball etc.
  danoomistmatiste | Jan 24, 2016 |
  kkhambadkone | Jan 17, 2016 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

To the memory of the British empire in India which conferred subjecthood on us but withheld citizenship; to which yet every one of us threw out the challenge: "Civis Britannicus Sum" because all that was good and living within us was made, shaped, and quickened by the same British rule
Kishorganj, my birthplace, I have called a country town, but this description, I am afraid, will call up wholly wrong associations.

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,184,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible