Fears Unnamed by Tim Lebbon

Fears Unnamed

by Tim Lebbon

116None103,275 (3.79)2

Reading these novellas were a lot of fun and my introduction to the works of Tim Lebbon. They weren't stellar or the best thing I've ever read in my life, but they didn't have to be, and that's what makes them great.

The first novella follows a man and his friend as they search for an ancient ruin that might have ties to a race of people that time has forgotten, save for vague mentions of its location. At times it felt Lovecraftian in nature, and that feel (the classic first-person narrative, mystic locations, etc.) really enhanced it.

I was personally referred by Brian Keene to read White, the second novella, due to my love for post-apocalyptic works, and I am very glad that he brought it to my attention. Although there are times where it seems to go too slow, White has enough action and wonderful characterization to make it an excellent story.

The third and fourth novellas weren't as good as the others, but the fourth one was pretty entertaining. I felt that the third one was the weakest of the bunch, and that it suffered from some very slow pacing, although it starts off fast enough. All in all, Fears Unnamed was a fun read and very enjoyable. ( )
1 vote NKSCF | May 9, 2010 |
The novellas here are hit and miss. White and Naming of Parts are amazing, Remnants and The Unfortunate arent so good. ( )
  kagan | Jul 15, 2009 |
4 Very different ,uneven short novella's--this is my first time reading LEBBON and I must say, I will have to read more of his works before I can make a final decision.The first story didn't grab me, the 2nd was better, but the last 2 were the standouts, especially the last story featuring a boy & his family battling Zombies...very scary. I can't wait to read more of this author. ( )
1 vote silversurfer | Apr 6, 2009 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible