Parvana's Journey (2002)

by Deborah Ellis

Series: The Breadwinner (2)

8191920,369 (4.03)8
After her father's death, Parvana, now thirteen-years-old, continues to search for her mother in war-torn Afghanistan, joining with two younger children who are also struggling to survive.

English (17)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (19)
The story broke my heart but was a great read. The message was my favorite part of the book. The lesson was to appreciate what you have and help others. As I was reading this book it really opened my eyes to how many struggling children are out there and made me appreciate my up bringing. The author constructed wonderful characters, such as Parvana and Leila, who showed bravery and persistence throughout the novel.
  achamb15 | May 13, 2015 |
This was an amazing book! It was fantastic to read and was really easy to get through,because I didn't want to put it down!! ( )
  Elliepoole | Feb 4, 2014 |
In this moving sequel to The Breadwinner, young Parvana sets out to find her mother and sisters, who disappeared shortly after the Taliban invaded the city where they were attending a family wedding. Disguised as a boy, she travels across the deeply scarred landscape of Afghanistan, enduring unimaginable hardship and sorrows. Forced to bury her father, she soon collects a menagerie of abandoned children around her, from infant Hassan to the injured Asif. But where can Parvana lead her new and very vulnerable family, and how can she - a twelve years old girl - ensure their safety in a country gripped by terrible violence?

A powerful story of children caught up in the madness of war, Parvana's Journey is based - like all of the books in Deborah Ellis's Breadwinner Trilogy - upon the author's experiences working at a camp for Afghani refugees. Here are moments of almost unbearable heart-ache, as when Parvana loses her father, imprisoned in The Breadwinner for the crime of having an education, and only just restored to the family. But here too are moments of hope, however brief, moments when the human spirit asserts itself. Parvana's courage, her determination to help the other children, will inspire and humble readers who have never had to confront the horrors described. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jul 3, 2013 |
Read this with my daughter.
She absolutely loved it.
I thought it was depressing as hell.
But
It really was written very well - gives you a look into what it's like trying to live and grow up in a country that's been in a constant state of war for the past 30 years. ( )
  ferrisscottr | Jun 18, 2013 |
This is a continuation of The Breadwinner and the comments I made on that book apply equally to this book. The break in the story was well placed but I feel they both must be read as a single story. I think too much is left out if only one is read.

The author leaves the reader with a very pleasant occurrence in the middle of unpleasant things as she brings this part of the story to a close. I was still left with the feeling of a cliffhanger at the end but I know I may have to wait a long time for the real ending as the story is still going on in Afghanistan. I hope I live long enough and that the ending is better than I expect.

This is a story that must be read. I realize that it's one of many but it must be included. I'm sure it's going to be included in a handful of stories that never leave my mind for very long.

The third book, Mud City that follows Parvana's friend, has been ordered. I'll have that in a week or so. ( )
  Yona | May 2, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

To children we force to be braver than they should have to be
Aman Parvana didn't know gave one final pat to the dirt mounded up over her father's grave.

In this sequel to the Breadwinner, the reader is reintroduced to Parvana. She has just buried her father and knows she must leave the village before the family she is staying with discovers that she is a girl and turns her over to the Taliban who at the time of the story, are in control in Afghanistan. Parvana wanders the Afghanistan countryside looking for her mother and siblings. In her journey, she meets other children whose worlds have been torn apart by the decades of war that Afghanistan has experienced.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,192,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible