The Nakano Thrift Shop by Hiromi Kawakami

The Nakano Thrift Shop (2005)

by Hiromi Kawakami

Recently added bykewing, ddjb, honzuki, brittanygates

English (8)  German (2)  French (1)  All languages (11)
Translated from Japanese

Protagonist Hiromi tells of her time working in the thrift shop. Absolutely nothing happens and the narrative is choppy, choppy – due to the story and to the translation.

for example:
Pg13 With its second-hand goods (not antiques), Mr. Nakano’s shop was literally filled to overflowing ( )
  ParadisePorch | Oct 22, 2018 |
A delightful little slice-of-life novel about the owner and employees and customers of a little Japanese thrift shop (not an antiques store). You'll want nothing more than to share a lunch of take-out noodles in the back room with Nakano and Masayo and Hitomi and Takeo. ( )
  BillieBook | Apr 1, 2018 |
Bland book. Ordered the book online when I saw it was on sale and thought would would be good to read this one right away. When I read the blurbs and initial hype I expected a pleasant, feel-good/light book about a romance between two employees at a thrift shop. Maybe learn a bit about Japanese people/culture/etc.

Instead...this is not that all. Presumably we're supposed to care about Hitomi, who has fallen for her co-worker Takeo and seeks advice as well as manages dealing with the quirks and what not of customer service, running a shop, dealing with her boss, etc. Instead it's a book with a boring protagonist and characters you really don't come to care about or appear interesting. A stronger writer might have done more OR it's a problem with translation (I don't know). In any case, the English translation of this book is incredibly boring and tedious.

That's all there is to it, really. It's a short read and I thought maybe this was the wrong book for the moment or I wasn't in the mood for a book like this but after seeing the negative reviews I think it's just not a good read/something was lost in translation.

I'm glad I got it at a discount but I wish I had found a bargain bin or library copy instead. I'd skip this one. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
hmm... so, while this story had its moments, overall it all felt very flat to me, the story and the characters. i did quite like masayo - sister of the thrift shop owner, mr. nakano. masayo was layered, and interesting; the story was more lively when she was in any scene. ( )
  Booktrovert | Oct 15, 2017 |
Hitomi and Takeo work in Mr Nakano’s thrift shop, sometimes aided by Mr Nakano’s artistic sister, Masayo. It is a typical small enterprise with a host of colourful customers each with their own involved lives. And the lives of our principals are involved as well, Mr Nakano with his afternoon visits to his “bank” and Masayo with the taciturn Mr Maruyama. Hitomi and Takeo seem like they want to be involved with each other but their reticence is almost painful and inevitably awkward moments ensue.

With glancing light observations and Hitomi’s debilitating self-critique, we follow the ups and down of the thrift shop and its staff over the course of a year with a final chapter catching up on their development over the intervening few years subsequent to the shop’s closure. Events shift seamlessly, though sometimes disconcertingly, from the minute to the momentous, or the anodyne to the explicitly adult. But we always return eventually to Hitomi’s slow development (she is turning thirty but you’ll think she is still a teenager emotionally).

A gentle and surprisingly captivating read. Gently recommended. ( )
  RandyMetcalfe | Aug 14, 2017 |
"Und überhaupt...Reichen Sie mir mal die Sojasoße?"

In the Nakano Thrift Shop, the objects hold many secrets-- as do the staff and the customers. Hitomi, the young woman who works the register, falls for her reserved co-worker Takeo. She seeks advice from Masayo, her employer's sister. Hitomi soon comes to realize that love requires acceptance of idiosyncrasies and secrets.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,584,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible