Babycakes by Armistead Maupin

Babycakes (1984)

by Armistead Maupin

Series: Tales of the City (4)

The Emperor Waltz by Philip Hensher (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: A novel covering the opening of London's first gay bookshop, it's customers, owner and his circle of friends in the late 70s and 80s

Fun.
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
Very fun book!.. I very much enjoyed the first 3 of this series, and this followed suit perfectly. It is silly...sit-com silly......many of the characters are really caricatures - stereotypical....but Maupin makes you love them and root for them in spite of all their silly stereotypicalness (nice word, huh?).....nice compact chapters that jump from scene to scene and you keep reading cuz you have to find out how they survive their ridiculous situations. I read the others quite a few years ago and the characters and their connections came a little slowly at first, but it eventually all clicked. A little too many drugs taken way too casually to suit me, but we are talking about San Francisco in the early 1980's. No Pulitzer here, but an awful lot of fun! ( )
  jeffome | Apr 10, 2015 |
[Babycakes] by Armistead Maupin

Well, that was a fun romp. Maupin finds silly ways to put his characters into predicaments and then even sillier ways to extricate them. I read this book in one day, a few hours. I am not a fast reader any more. Used to be one. Not now. But his books are easy reading. And fun. And make you laugh out loud. ( )
  maggie1944 | Aug 16, 2014 |
Okay, I've reached my limit with these. The blatant racism in this volume - "His delicate Eurasian features, like those of his twin sister, seemed entirely appropriate in a room full of quasi Orientalia"; "Unless you're the chap that goes on holiday and comes home to a family of Pakistanis"; "'They're aborigionals. Half-castes, actually.' She had vague visions of grass-skirted natives with bones through their noses dancing around" - and not-so-subtle misogyny (that we are expected to excuse because it's supposed to be funny coming from a gay man) totally ruined even my feeling of satisfaction at completing another book in the series. Also, I'm completely baffled (and bored) by Maupin's sadistic impulses toward Michael - i.e., constantly inserting tragedy into his life so he can play the bitter bachelor - which have gotten really old, and seem to be bleeding over onto the character of Brian as well. Whatever charm the first book and a half or so had for me has worn threadbare by now - think I'll quit before I get too much further behind. ( )
  milkyfangs | Aug 9, 2014 |
continued farfetched, mediocrely written enjoyable soap opera with lgbtq characters. ( )
  overlycriticalelisa | Apr 2, 2013 |

Armistead Maupinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blaauw, Gerrit deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cumming, AlanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cumming, AlanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When you feel your song is orchestrated wrong,
Why should you prolong
Your stay?
When the wind and the weather blow your dreams sky-high,
Sail away - sail away - sail away!
-Noel Coward
For Christopher Isherwood and Don Bachardy and in loving memory of Daniel Katz 1956-1982 and once again for Steve Beery
She was fifty-seven years old when she saw San Francisco for the first time.

"An extended love letter to a magical San Francisco."
--New York Times Book Review

When an ordinary househusband and his ambitious wife decide to start a family, they discover there's more to making a baby then meets the eye. Help arrives in the form of a grieving gay neighbor, a visiting monarch, and the dashing young lieutenant who defects from her yacht. Bittersweet and profoundly affecting, Babycakes was the first work of fiction to acknowledge the arrival of AIDS.

"Armistead is a true original. His tales are bang up-to-date. They will surprise and maybe even shock you, but, I promise, they will make you laugh."
--Ian McKellen

"Maupin has a genius for observation. His characters have the timing of vaudeville comics, flawed by human frailty and fueled by blind hop."
--Denver Post

"Armistead Maupin's San Francisco saga careens beautifully on."
-- New York Times Book Review

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:57 -0400)

When an ordinary househusband and his ambitious wife decide to start a family, they discover there's more to making a baby than meets the eye.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,533,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible