Under a Glass Bell by Anaïs Nin

Under a Glass Bell

by Anaïs Nin

There are some lovely short stories in this book, with some important messages for Humanity. I particularly enjoyed reading 'Houseboat', 'Ragtime' and 'Hejda'.

Whereas Anais Nin is a lovely descriptive writer - overly so for my taste - I do sometimes struggle with metaphors such as "The bushes were soft hairy elbows touching mine".

ReneePaule | Jan 23, 2018 |
Tried, but just couldn't get into it - abandoned!
  tandah | Mar 25, 2014 |
A collection of short stories written and originally between 1938 and 1944. Very poetic and hence not something I'm good at appreciating. The story with the most dialogue and action, "The Mouse," ends with a character near death, but clearly who this woman is and how she is perceived and treated by others is more important than whether she lives or dies, since we don't find out what happens. The engravings are abstract and interesting. ( )
  raizel | May 22, 2009 |
I've always had difficulties reading fiction written by women (perhaps I haven't read enough). If you look at my catalog in its entirety, you'll find half a dozen women writers, or there abouts.

I'm also not especially keen on prose that fancies itself poetry, and perhaps that's the other reason why I was so keen to get this one finished, once I'd started it. ( )
  soylentgreen23 | Dec 23, 2006 |
The current of the crowd wanted to sweep me along with it.

Often considered Anais Nin's finest work of fiction, this collection of short stories was self-published by Nin with an old-fashioned hand press in 1944. Among the titles are "Houseboat," "The Mouse," "The Labyrinth," and "Birth."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,367,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible