Embraced by the Light (1992)

by Betty J. Eadie

#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER * The groundbreaking account of life after death that has become a source of comfort, inspiration, and solace to millions "I felt a surge of energy, and my spirit was suddenly drawn through my chest and pulled upward. My first impression is that I was free. . . ." On the night of November 19, 1973, following surgery, thirty-one-year-old wife and mother Betty J. Eadie died. This is her extraordinary story of the events that followed, her astonishing proof of life after physical death. She saw more, perhaps than any other person has seen before and shares her almost photographic recollections of the remarkable details. Compelling, inspiring, and infinitely reassuring, her vivid account gives us a glimpse of the peace and unconditional love that awaits us all. More important, Betty's journey offers a simple message that can transform our lives today, showing us our purpose and guiding us to live the way we were meant to--joyously, abundantly, and with love. Praise for Embraced by the Light "The most detailed and spellbinding near-death experience I have ever heard."--Kimberly Clark-Sharp, president, Seattle International Association of Near-Death Studies… (more)

English (13)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (17)
One of the first books I read about one individual's NDE. It was engrossing and prompted me to want to learn more. ( )
  Consciousness_Cafe | Mar 1, 2021 |
Betty had a couple near death episode in her life but the most recent one she describes in excruciating detail. A strong Christian faith with a firm belief in Jesus was used in her description of "heaven". In many ways comforting to me but always with skepticism in the back of my mind. I liked how all spirits she "met" were old friends- she knew them before this life on earth. I liked the happiness and comfort described after death. But for the most part it was just the typical beliefs taught in church and could have certainly been a dream. ( )
  camplakejewel | Sep 18, 2017 |
I read this book in Danish since I had it in that language though I would rather have read it in the original language, English.

In this book, we´re told much of Betty´s life history and how she met Jim, her loving husband.

Betty was in the hospital to have a hysterectomy, and following the operation she left her body. She met three men on the other side; they resembled monks and were wise and knowledgeable. They told her they had been with her for an eternity, and she saw in her mind pictures of her previous time with them. She understood that death was, in reality, a rebirth to a greater life with understanding and wisdom. They explained that, together with others, they had been her guardian angels in her life on Earth.

They told her she had died too early, but that everything would work out. She felt their deep love and concern; they filled her with joy.

Betty had six children and she worried about them, now that she was “dead”. She flew to her home into the living-room and saw the children getting ready for bed. She realized that each of her children was on Earth to have his/her own experiences and that, even though she had regarded them as “hers”, she was mistaken. Each one had his or her free will to live his/her own freely chosen life. She saw some of their challenges and troubles but knew that these would be necessary for their growth.

She heard a buzzing sound and bells ringing. She felt lifted up by an enormous black tornado, but had an inner feeling of well-being and peace. She was aware that other people and animals were travelling with her. She felt that healing was taking place; she had never before felt greater peace.

She saw a tunnel of light and travelled through it at great speed. She saw a man surrounded by a golden light. His light mixed with hers. He was Jesus Christ; he was Life and Love. She had known him long before her life on Earth; her soul remembered him.

Jesus told her that it was not her time yet. She asked him lots of questions and received answers.

She understood that we are here to help each other, love each other, forgive and serve each other. We are here to love each person born on Earth.

She learnt that we should love our enemies and let go of our anger, hate, envy, bitterness and reluctance to forgive.

She saw that we have all chosen our positions in the world and that each of us receives more help than we realize.

Betty saw that many of us have ourselves chosen the illness/es we suffer from. All our experiences are for own good; as souls, we are willing, even keen, to accept all our sufferings/illnesses and accidents on Earth so that we can improve spiritually. The pain we experience on Earth is just a moment of our consciousness in the spirit world, and we are extremely willing to endure it. Our death is also often intended to help us grow.

Suicide will result in our losing the opportunity of developing more on Earth. We are here to learn, to experiment, and to make mistakes. We should not judge ourselves.

This book is extremely comprehensive and contains much more than I have indicated here. I am amazed that the author managed to remember all the experiences she recounts in such detail.

The most important message Betty received was: “First and foremost, love each other!” ( )
  IonaS | Aug 11, 2016 |
Intriguing story about a life after death experience. ( )
  wareagle78 | Mar 17, 2014 |
An enlightening description of what heaven looks like, what we were before we came into this world, what lies ahead for us in the afterlife and a beautiful explanation of other things unnatural and inexplainable in our human lives today.

This is still by far, one of my most favorite books of all time. :) ( )
  snapsandreads | Jun 3, 2013 |
My appreciation to Curtis Taylor, writer-editor for Gold Leaf Press.
Without his extraordinary talent and tremendous sensitivity to the Spirit, this would would not exist in its present form.
Betty J Eadie
To the Light, my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, to whom I owe all that I have. He is the "staff" that I lean on; without him I would fall.
To my wonderful husband Joe, who has been a mortal "rock" of strength and encouragment.
To my eight children:
Donna Maire, Cheryl Ann, Glenn Allen, Cynthia Carol, Joseph Lee, Stewart Jeffrey, Thomas Britton and Betty Jean,
all of whom are the "salt," the flavor, in my life.
and last but not least, to my eight grandchildren:
Kurt Andrew, Jessica Elizabeth, Zachary Britton, Natalie Kathleen, Stephanie Leigh, Andrea Meggan, Jennifer Leanne, and Keona Marie.
these little ones are the jewels in my crown.
I learned more about near-death experiences from reading Embraced by the Light than from any other experience in my live, including ten years of studying near-death experiences and interviewing children and adults who have survived clinical death.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,377,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible