Duck on a Bike by David Shannon

Duck on a Bike

by David Shannon

The illustrations in this book are wonderful! My two and a half year old was enthralled and we made it through the entire book in one sitting (Her attention for storybooks is not there yet). I love how the angle of the illustrations changes depending on the location of the animal. Some of the images are head on, some are from below looking up, the colors are bright and the images are large. The title page alone is beautiful with a two page spread of the picture. It appears as though we are down a hill looking up at duck looking at a bicycle and his wing on his chin as if thinking, "hmm, I think I can ride that." Even with the repetitive text on each page, the end of the story was unpredictable and fun! The final page with "The end" is the best, as Duck looks back at a tractor in the same way he first looked at the bike. ( )
  Chafkins | Sep 19, 2016 |
Students absolutely adore this book! They always find the plot very humorous and entertaining. The book can be used at different ages, but younger grades seem to be engaged more with this text. The book is great for modeling how to read with inflection/expression, and students enjoy changing their voiced to match the animals.
  hannahpere | Sep 8, 2016 |
This book is humerus and makes reading fun.
  KatieScudellari | Sep 8, 2016 |
I love this book because the author uses humor to explore animals on a farm. The animals do out of the ordinary things on a farm while the humans are not around. I love how this book can lead many discussions for reading.
  kerrihopethomas | Sep 2, 2016 |
Duck rides past all the other farm animals on a bike, eliciting surprise, wonder, and intrigue as he goes.

This is a short and sweet story that features a variety of farm animals (and their accompanying sounds), so it could make a good addition to a classroom unit on farm animals, a library program about farm animals, or just an adult-child read for a child interested in farm animals or has recently visited a farm. The illustrations fit the text appropriately and feature close-ups of each animal. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Jun 8, 2016 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439050235, Hardcover)

When Duck gets the zany idea to ride a bike one day, each animal on the farm has a reaction. "M-o-o-o," says Cow. But what she's really thinking is, "A duck on a bike? That's the silliest thing I've ever seen!" Pig and Pig say "Oink," thinking all the while, "Duck is such a show-off!" But it's not until a crew of kids shows up and leaves their bikes lying about that the true feelings of all the animals come to light, and for one brief, glorious moment, the farm is a mad, mad world of two-wheeling road hogs (and chickens and horses and goats). David Shannon, the creator of Caldecott Honor Book, No, David!, fills the pages of this barnyard romp with sun-soaked color, charming animals, and unusual perspectives. We see Cat, for example, looming belly-first in the foreground, with Duck merrily pedaling away in the distance. The story itself is nothing to write home about--No, David! is far snappier and more original--but younger kids may well enjoy the repetitive crescendo and the goofy finale. (Ages 4 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:41 -0400)

A duck decides to ride a bike and soon influences all the other animals on the farm to ride bikes too.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,155,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible