Duck on a Bike by David Shannon

Duck on a Bike

by David Shannon

Recently added byMWFBAZ, private library, NLLLibrary, Lea1198, annushka, TheIRRISchool, NewHopePreschool, ecd007

Fantasy
Age appropriateness: primary
Media: Paint
This book is about a Duck who gets a crazy idea about riding a bike. When a young boy parked his bike he knew that was his chance to ride a bike. So, at first when Duck started riding the bike he was going slow and was having a hard time keeping the bike upwards. However, with lots of practice Duck finally got the hang of riding a bike. As he was riding the bike he passed a cow, a horse, a couple pigs, a mouse, and lots of barn yard animals. Some of them were jealous of Duck and some were not. All of a sudden a group of boys came riding on bikes and pulled up to the farm and parked their bikes outside. When they went into the barn Duck and the other barn animals knew this was their time to experience what riding a bike was really like. In the end all of the barn yard animals rode a bicycle with Duck and no one knew about it.
This is a good fantasy because it shows the power of not giving up and what practice can really do through a Duck and other barn yard animals riding a bike. This book was able to get kids to see that when you try something new and you keep practicing you are bound to get better. Just like when Duck was figuring out how to ride a bike. This is a good fantasy because ducks to not talk in real life and do not ride bikes and in the book that is what the duck is doing.
  Kmacuk15 | Feb 4, 2017 |
a fun book about a duck going around riding a bike on the farm. he ends up having all the different animals on the farm are riding a bike
5 books
  TUCC | Jan 23, 2017 |
Summary:
This story is about a duck who got a wild idea to borrow a boy's bike. He rode that bike all over the farm and said hello to all of his friends. Then all of the other farm animals climbed on bikes too. After riding the bikes for awhile the animals put the bikes back and no one knew that they had ever been on the bikes.

Personal Reaction:
The book had a really good story line and would be a great book to present to the classroom. I enjoyed the large and colorful pictures.

Classroom Extension:
After reading this book to my class I would have my students pick their favorite farm animal and draw a picture of the animal riding some kind of transportation like a skateboard, plane, car, or others. I would then ask my students to write a short story about the picture they drew.
  ToriMackey | Jan 22, 2017 |
The illustrations in this book are wonderful! My two and a half year old was enthralled and we made it through the entire book in one sitting (Her attention for storybooks is not there yet). I love how the angle of the illustrations changes depending on the location of the animal. Some of the images are head on, some are from below looking up, the colors are bright and the images are large. The title page alone is beautiful with a two page spread of the picture. It appears as though we are down a hill looking up at duck looking at a bicycle and his wing on his chin as if thinking, "hmm, I think I can ride that." Even with the repetitive text on each page, the end of the story was unpredictable and fun! The final page with "The end" is the best, as Duck looks back at a tractor in the same way he first looked at the bike. ( )
  Chafkins | Sep 19, 2016 |
Students absolutely adore this book! They always find the plot very humorous and entertaining. The book can be used at different ages, but younger grades seem to be engaged more with this text. The book is great for modeling how to read with inflection/expression, and students enjoy changing their voiced to match the animals.
  hannahpere | Sep 8, 2016 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439050235, Hardcover)

When Duck gets the zany idea to ride a bike one day, each animal on the farm has a reaction. "M-o-o-o," says Cow. But what she's really thinking is, "A duck on a bike? That's the silliest thing I've ever seen!" Pig and Pig say "Oink," thinking all the while, "Duck is such a show-off!" But it's not until a crew of kids shows up and leaves their bikes lying about that the true feelings of all the animals come to light, and for one brief, glorious moment, the farm is a mad, mad world of two-wheeling road hogs (and chickens and horses and goats). David Shannon, the creator of Caldecott Honor Book, No, David!, fills the pages of this barnyard romp with sun-soaked color, charming animals, and unusual perspectives. We see Cat, for example, looming belly-first in the foreground, with Duck merrily pedaling away in the distance. The story itself is nothing to write home about--No, David! is far snappier and more original--but younger kids may well enjoy the repetitive crescendo and the goofy finale. (Ages 4 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:41 -0400)

A duck decides to ride a bike and soon influences all the other animals on the farm to ride bikes too.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,498,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible