Duck on a Bike by David Shannon

Duck on a Bike

by David Shannon

Caldecott Honor winner David Shannon applies his wonderful off-beat humor to the story of a duck who decides to try riding a bike. Every time I read this book, I notice something new in the illustrations. The frogs hiding in the pigpen, sometimes the bell is missing on the bike, the goat is eating his own bike's basket... 'Duck on a Bike' makes for a great read-out-loud book as the different animals allow for using different voices. ( )
  crunchymunchkin | Feb 25, 2015 |
This book was fantastic! I love the illustrations which depicted the story and complimented it. I really enjoyed that David Shannon used the sounds of the animals. That is a great tool for the reader to reiterate for children to hear. They are learning while they are listening! This book is also great for beginning readers. The text is simple and provides a guide to create a successful reader. ( )
  ssmith93 | Dec 10, 2014 |
David Shannon's Duck on a Bike is awesome! It is so sad he forgot to put the bike's bell on some of the illustrations in the book, otherwise he would have won a Caldecott Award. The illustrations and the text work really well together in harmony, except of course for the one little mistake of the bike bell. It's a great story of how a duck decides to ride a bike and has so much fun doing so, that all of his animal friends try to ride bikes too. The text and story line are simply wonderful and great for kids of a younger age! My daughter loves this book. ( )
  abrozi1 | Nov 23, 2014 |
David Shannon is great at writing stories and illustrating them so perfectly together, and this book is another one of successes. Kids can easily relate to the duck because the duck rides its bike around and the other animals don't want to follow along until they see others doing it. ( )
  TeresaCruz | Oct 22, 2014 |
I thought that this book was hilarious. I thought that it was funny how Duck would show off his ability to ride a bike. My favorite was when he rode the bike to show Chicken. When he was showing chicken, chicken got scared because duck almost ran over him. I also liked that the characters in the story each had their own personalities. Their personalities were shown through the facial expressions were illustrated. For example, you could tell that Horse was very cocky because of the facial expression he showed when Duck showed him the bike. Horse had a sideways smirk with his head up high in a smug fashion. My favorite part of the story was when Duck rode the bike over to goat. All goat was thinking about was eating the bike instead of being amazed by the fact that a duck was riding the bike. ( )
  cporte8 | Oct 15, 2014 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439050235, Hardcover)

When Duck gets the zany idea to ride a bike one day, each animal on the farm has a reaction. "M-o-o-o," says Cow. But what she's really thinking is, "A duck on a bike? That's the silliest thing I've ever seen!" Pig and Pig say "Oink," thinking all the while, "Duck is such a show-off!" But it's not until a crew of kids shows up and leaves their bikes lying about that the true feelings of all the animals come to light, and for one brief, glorious moment, the farm is a mad, mad world of two-wheeling road hogs (and chickens and horses and goats). David Shannon, the creator of Caldecott Honor Book, No, David!, fills the pages of this barnyard romp with sun-soaked color, charming animals, and unusual perspectives. We see Cat, for example, looming belly-first in the foreground, with Duck merrily pedaling away in the distance. The story itself is nothing to write home about--No, David! is far snappier and more original--but younger kids may well enjoy the repetitive crescendo and the goofy finale. (Ages 4 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:29 -0400)

A duck decides to ride a bike and soon influences all the other animals on the farm to ride bikes too.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,797,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible