Duck on a Bike by David Shannon

Duck on a Bike

by David Shannon

This is a good book to teach students to read with expression and how to read with expression. It uses good interrogatives teach student in Writers Workshop too. ( )
  chretaylor | Apr 16, 2015 |
In this book a duck decides to ride a bike. The duck rides past all these other animals and says hello and they say hello back but are all thinking different things about the duck riding this bike. After the duck rides past all the animals there are a ton of boys ridding their bikes right past the duck and doesn’t see him and they all park their bikes and go inside. Well all of a sudden all the animals get on the bikes and ride them and they do not think duck is different anymore because he wanted to ride the bike. I think the main idea of the book is that just because other people do not understand why you’re doing something does not mean that it is wrong.

I like this book because in the illustrations the characters have a lot of expression in their faces, such as when duck rode past the horse he was illustrated with a rolled back eye and a half smile. Another reason I like this book is that the author lets you know what the animals are thinking about duck even though they do not say it to him, like when duck rode past chicken and chicken said “Hi” even though she was thinking” watch where you’re going”. I like this book because of the illustrations and the message. ( )
  bwinte3 | Apr 3, 2015 |
Duck saw a red bike parked by his barn and thought he could ride the bike. So, he did and he road the bike all around to show his farm animal friends. All the animals thought Duck was crazy for riding a bike but at the end of the story every single animal was riding a bike around the farm just like Duck. ( )
  Analley | Apr 2, 2015 |
Reminds me of an old McDonald-esque book where we visit animals and hear their noises. It's a cute book that has a duck riding a bike, good enough alone to make a child laugh! But like I said above, he rides to animals and each animal makes their designated noise. The story gives each animal their own thoughts and builds off of the idea of a child's imagination of talking animals. It could be a metaphor of being scared to ride a bike or try something new, and how just trying it can be really fun. I think any teacher or parent could read this at story time without any problems and even incorporate the kids in making the animal noises.
  TessaB28 | Mar 15, 2015 |
Caldecott Honor winner David Shannon applies his wonderful off-beat humor to the story of a duck who decides to try riding a bike. Every time I read this book, I notice something new in the illustrations. The frogs hiding in the pigpen, sometimes the bell is missing on the bike, the goat is eating his own bike's basket... 'Duck on a Bike' makes for a great read-out-loud book as the different animals allow for using different voices. ( )
  crunchymunchkin | Feb 25, 2015 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439050235, Hardcover)

When Duck gets the zany idea to ride a bike one day, each animal on the farm has a reaction. "M-o-o-o," says Cow. But what she's really thinking is, "A duck on a bike? That's the silliest thing I've ever seen!" Pig and Pig say "Oink," thinking all the while, "Duck is such a show-off!" But it's not until a crew of kids shows up and leaves their bikes lying about that the true feelings of all the animals come to light, and for one brief, glorious moment, the farm is a mad, mad world of two-wheeling road hogs (and chickens and horses and goats). David Shannon, the creator of Caldecott Honor Book, No, David!, fills the pages of this barnyard romp with sun-soaked color, charming animals, and unusual perspectives. We see Cat, for example, looming belly-first in the foreground, with Duck merrily pedaling away in the distance. The story itself is nothing to write home about--No, David! is far snappier and more original--but younger kids may well enjoy the repetitive crescendo and the goofy finale. (Ages 4 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:29 -0400)

A duck decides to ride a bike and soon influences all the other animals on the farm to ride bikes too.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,716,975 books! | Top bar: Always visible